Castaway Cay 5k

Superman81

Mouseketeer
Hey guys

People that have done the run on the island before.....Did you feel like it ate up a lot of your day? or were you still able to enjoy the beach to your satisfaction?

Also did you bring your beach bag with you? or Did you go back to the boat to change?

Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks

It doesn't take up all of your day. The actual 5k is less than an hour. You probably spend more time walking over and waiting for everyone to get ready. Some people bring a bag and then change in a bathroom. Others go back to the ship. It is preference. I felt it was still a good day at the beach. However if you have a cabana or plan another activity, it will eat into your time.

Apathetic nailed it. We spent more time getting checked in, walking to the starting point, and waiting for the stragglers to arrive, than we did on the actual 5k -- and we walked it!

We returned to the ship to change and gather our beach stuff. We were still able to spend a good 4 hours on the beaches, not even counting time out for lunch.

They have unsecured storage for beach bags, packs, etc if you don't want to return to the ship and which is watched by the CMs at the start/finish line. There are no changing rooms on CC.

What the others have said is correct. Our whole family did the 5K on the June 4 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean. There were over 400 participants. We gathered in the Walt Disney Theatre with a meeting time of 9:15 am. The formal All Ashore was 9:45. We left the Walt Disney Theatre about 9:35 and walked to the the bicycle rental location. It got a little confusing, since regular folks and 5K folks were getting mixed together as we were leaving the ship. The start / finish is at the bicycle rental, which is where we got our bibs. The unsecured storage box was way too small for all the participants, so it was funny to see all the stuff just piled around it. I crossed the Start line at 10:13 am. I am a walker, so I finished at about 10:55 am. DW and I did some shopping for the 5K merchandise then headed back to the ship to change. Our DDs went for a bike ride afterwards with their friends. I believe the Western Caribbean has an earlier All Ashore, so the 5K would not eat into your day as much. I don't know about the 3 / 4 day All Ashore times.

As an aside, after DW and I were back on the ship for about 10 minutes, the skies opened up and it poured. We decided to have lunch in Cabanas, which was right at noon time. Our DDs arrived an hour or so later, dressed in garbage bags which a CM gave to their group to keep them dry. Because we did the 5K, we really did not get a chance to visit any more of the island for photo ops, etc. By the time the rain cleared and they allowed people off the ship later in the afternoon, it was late enough that we decided not to go back. We were very happy we did the 5K, and if we knew then what the day was going to be, we would still would have done the 5K. I only mention this, as if CC is an absolute that you want to do more of the island than just the 5K, check the weather reports to make sure you do get to enjoy it.

Thanks everyone. Do they have snacks available when you finish? or Would you have to go back to the ship to get something to hold you over until lunch?

Thanks everyone. Do they have snacks available when you finish? or Would you have to go back to the ship to get something to hold you over until lunch?

No snacks that I saw. But they did offer water at the beginning of the bike loop (so you go by it four different times during the course). I don't recall what time Cookies opened for lunch. But if you are only going back to the ship for food, I do not think it is worth the time. By the time you get back to the ship, Cookies would probably be open.

I *choose* to go back to teh ship now because it's just much more pleasant to shower in the bathroom, sunscreen up in my room, and get into my swimsuit while *dry*, rather than while very sweaty.

I get room service breakfast and coffee so I don't need anything until lunch. Though since I go back to the ship I can easily snag something if I want it.

But I don't need fuel for/during/after a 5K at this point. When I was new I absolutely did, but not now.

Hey guys

People that have done the run on the island before.....Did you feel like it ate up a lot of your day? or were you still able to enjoy the beach to your satisfaction?

Also did you bring your beach bag with you? or Did you go back to the boat to change?

Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks

We had plenty of time at the beach afterwards: did Pelican Plunge several times, rented bikes for an hour, ate lunch, etc., & still chose to return to the boat early. This even though we had walked most of the 5K.

I also had plenty of time! I brought a bag to change in the bathroom when I was done and told my mom where to meet me and the time. It worked out very well!

I would suggest headphones if you are doing it alone as unlike other Disney races, there isn't entertainment and music..I was glad I had mine!

I enjoyed the race gift ship items at the end !

I like to eat very, very light before I run, especially with the heat. After I was done the 5K, I wandered over to Cookies where there is a fruit cart. They were still setting it up and it was mostly covered up. I asked the CM if I could grab an an apple. No problem. Good for me because I was off to snorkel and then have a late lunch!

Do you sign up after your board the ship or when you do your checkin online. We have family members wanting to do this in October. We've never done it, so can't answer their questions.

Do you sign up after your board the ship or when you do your checkin online. We have family members wanting to do this in October. We've never done it, so can't answer their questions.
You sign up onboard at the Port Adventures desk.

I'm a fan of running the 5k, then immediately going on Pelican plunge. After which I make way back to the ship for a quick change a little bit to eat. By this time the ship is empty and the rest of the family is awake ready to hit the beach. it works well for our family.

Ran the 5K, went back to the ship to shower, change and eat at Cabanas. On the beach by 11ish.

But I didn't stay there for long...the 5K is HOT and I just sort of felt fried. Oh well.

Hi all! This is a little it of a tangent from the original post, but we are planning on doing a cruise on the Dream in August 2017. Our only stop is Castaway Kay, (3 nights) will there be a 5k? I would love to run it, but I wasn't sure if t hey have it for every cruise. Any help is appreciated!

Hi all! This is a little it of a tangent from the original post, but we are planning on doing a cruise on the Dream in August 2017. Our only stop is Castaway Kay, (3 nights) will there be a 5k? I would love to run it, but I wasn't sure if t hey have it for every cruise. Any help is appreciated!

Every cruise that stops at Castaway Cay, I believe. . Our last cruise was a 3 night and there was a 5K

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter