• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay 5K

This is awesome! I saw that there were medals given to those that finish the run. Will there also be special run merchandise available for those that do it?

There has always been 5K shirts available for sale at the end, not sure about anything else though...we always just got the shirts. It was so hot the last time that I did it that I didn't play close enough attention to the shirt sizes that I ended up getting one that doesn't fit me at all. I had water on the brain LOL

There has always been 5K shirts available for sale at the end, not sure about anything else though...we always just got the shirts. It was so hot the last time that I did it that I didn't play close enough attention to the shirt sizes that I ended up getting one that doesn't fit me at all. I had water on the brain LOL

It's not your fault. Their shirt sizes are ridiculous. I have a medium women's cut that fits like a kid shirt. And I'm in a small in most shirts, cotton and even tech.

I was buying mine at the same time as a small man was buying one, and they are cut tiny in men's sizes too.

This is awesome! I saw that there were medals given to those that finish the run. Will there also be special run merchandise available for those that do it?

This past April they had a really cool decal for my car, think it was about $8.00. They do have pins- not sure if they had them this time, didn't look as we already had them. Plenty of 5K swag :) Anyone can buy- out for sale at the end of the race.

It's not your fault. Their shirt sizes are ridiculous. I have a medium women's cut that fits like a kid shirt. And I'm in a small in most shirts, cotton and even tech.

I was buying mine at the same time as a small man was buying one, and they are cut tiny in men's sizes too.

Whew thank goodness I am not the only one who got the Adult medium kid's shirt :teeth: The 1st time that we ran the 5K the shirts we bought were a standard T-shirt size and fit fine. Last time we bought shirts for it they had more of a babydoll cut and I just grabbed a women's medium thinking that it would fit fine. I wonder if they changed manufacturer and their sizes run small o_O

Hi everyone. So I am thinking I want to do the 5K at CC. Here's the thing, I am a walker not a runner. Now I am hoping to work my way up to a light jog, but mostly walk the 5K. Are there a lot of people who walk it? It would be a challenge for me personally to do a 5K since right now I don't walk more than a mile at a shot, sometime 1.5 mi. I am looking forward to see if I can pull it off.

Just wanted to share an experience this past weekend. DW and I have been to CC many times and have a plan to divide and conquer to get the chairs and snorkel gear, Etc. Well DW went on to Serenity Bay when the tram came while I was getting the snorkel equipment. While I was waiting for the Serenity bay tram an older couple walked up and began asking questions. They had intended to participate in the 5K so they skipped breakfast and joined the crowd. They didn't realize that after getting off the ship you have to walk two thirds of the way to Serenity Bay to even get to the 5K starting line. It was very humid and at that moment they realized they were not up to the challenge of the 5K after the walk they had already endured. They followed me to Serenity Bay to nail down some chairs and then turned around and went back to the ship to grab some breakfast. They did return mid morning to finally enjoy some beach time, but their morning was rather hectic. They did admit they had done no research about Castaway Cay at all. I just wanted to make you aware that the 5K does not start immediately after getting off the ship. You will have around a half mile walk to get to the start. Have a Great Cruise and keep up the determination to conquer. Great Job!:yay:

We just got off the Fantasy Saturday. This was our 7 cruise. I had always wanted to do the 5k. Finally did this!! I walked. I am not a runner. It was so, so hot. I would say 50% walked and ran, 1/4 ran and 1/4 walked. It does not matter - you walk, run at your own pace. I was worried if there would be any restrooms. When you get to the mark (end of airport strip) where you make a u-turn - this is by the adult bbq area - I used the restroom and got right back on the path. Wear your walking/jogging clothes. I did not see any photo opportunities. When we got back on the Fantasy, I actually commented to my friend that there are not a ton of photographers the way they had them years ago all over the place. We took our own picture. (they might have been there or the runners that finished? not sure about that).

Yes. You slowly walk off the boat as a very large group towards the start line, which is well past scuttle's cove and they tell participants with kids to drop them off. Plenty of folks did that. The actual 5k started well after 9 though the check in time was before 8 from what I can recall.

Hi everyone. So I am thinking I want to do the 5K at CC. Here's the thing, I am a walker not a runner. Now I am hoping to work my way up to a light jog, but mostly walk the 5K. Are there a lot of people who walk it? It would be a challenge for me personally to do a 5K since right now I don't walk more than a mile at a shot, sometime 1.5 mi. I am looking forward to see if I can pull it off.

Most people jog it, but there are a few walkers. I mostly walked it in January. Was way at the back, but at least my son and I finished. As long as you finish, you get the medal, no matter how long it takes.

Last edited:
But kids can do the 5k, too, right?

I think there is an age restriction- I'd ask DCL about that. My son is 11 and was allowed to go- no issue. Saw only a few other kids during the run, and no really young ones. It's a hot, long course, not a quick sprint, which I imagine discourages people from bringing their kids.

But kids can do the 5k, too, right?

Ages 10 and up are welcome on this excursion and receive the race bib and medal. Anyone can do the course if they wish, since it is on free access roads and pathways. However, if you have an under 10 who wants to do it, you would need to share your medal with them.

Most people jog it, but there are a few walkers. I mostly walked it in January. Was way at the back, but at least my son and I finished. As long as you finish, you get the medal, so matter how long it takes.

That is encouraging thanks!

We just got off the Fantasy Saturday. This was our 7 cruise. I had always wanted to do the 5k. Finally did this!! I walked. I am not a runner. It was so, so hot. I would say 50% walked and ran, 1/4 ran and 1/4 walked. It does not matter - you walk, run at your own pace. I was worried if there would be any restrooms. When you get to the mark (end of airport strip) where you make a u-turn - this is by the adult bbq area - I used the restroom and got right back on the path. Wear your walking/jogging clothes. I did not see any photo opportunities. When we got back on the Fantasy, I actually commented to my friend that there are not a ton of photographers the way they had them years ago all over the place. We took our own picture. (they might have been there or the runners that finished? not sure about that).

Great info. Never even thought about a bathroom break! Thanks for mentioning that.

Just wanted to share an experience this past weekend. DW and I have been to CC many times and have a plan to divide and conquer to get the chairs and snorkel gear, Etc. Well DW went on to Serenity Bay when the tram came while I was getting the snorkel equipment. While I was waiting for the Serenity bay tram an older couple walked up and began asking questions. They had intended to participate in the 5K so they skipped breakfast and joined the crowd. They didn't realize that after getting off the ship you have to walk two thirds of the way to Serenity Bay to even get to the 5K starting line. It was very humid and at that moment they realized they were not up to the challenge of the 5K after the walk they had already endured. They followed me to Serenity Bay to nail down some chairs and then turned around and went back to the ship to grab some breakfast. They did return mid morning to finally enjoy some beach time, but their morning was rather hectic. They did admit they had done no research about Castaway Cay at all. I just wanted to make you aware that the 5K does not start immediately after getting off the ship. You will have around a half mile walk to get to the start. Have a Great Cruise and keep up the determination to conquer. Great Job!:yay:

Thank you!

Yes, another good reminder. It does not start until you walk to Serenity Bay (where you pick up your rentals - another tram here to the adult beach). This is where DH finally decided it was not for him. Too hot for him/not taking chances (heart issues). Met him at the beach when done.

The ones I've done have generally started around 9. Many others have been in groups that are the first off the ship; I have not had that luck with the normal, free island 5K (vs the paid Castaway Challenge that has been held twice in January and once in February since 2015).

You have to give yourself time to meet up in a lounge and get your bib and hear a talk, walk off the ship, walk to the start (with stops at restrooms and Scuttle's along the way), hear another quick talk, then do the run/jog/walk. A lady on my last island 5K was complaining to the CM right after we got off the ship that she had booked an HOUR of nursery time for it, and she had to get back to the nursery because her hour was up. And we had just gotten off the ship. She had severely mistimed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter