Castaway Cay 5K

As I understand it, it's fine. Every land-based runDisney event (I get it...this isn't technically runDisney) has a 16-minute/mile pace requirement (which is a pretty easy walk), so I don't see why this would be any different.

I would just recommend lining up at the back so that you're not endangering yourself or anyone who's trying to run it. General race etiquette when there aren't corrals is to line up as best you can according to your intended speed, and it's just safer for everyone if the faster people are allowed to get out of the way. (Also, if you're running/walking it with your kids, make sure that they know it's VERY dangerous for them and everyone else if they do the "sprint and stop" method where they run all-out and come to a dead stop and either stand and wait for you or turn around and go back to you. If you or they need to stop and rest, they should carefully move to the side of the path before stopping.)

Yes there were walkers when I ran back in November 2012, enjoy!!

I walked it last summer. I was the second to last one to finish, but I think the last person just ditched the race and headed to Serenity Bay.

Everyone was really nice and cheered me on when they were passing me on the loop. The two people who were jogging and finished a few minutes ahead of me actually hung around and cheered as I crossed the finish line.

Very informal and no worries. Walk, crawl, jog your pick :)

Good to know that I can walk this. I did a 5k in December for our local food pantry and came in dead last!!! I was proud to finish and to raise money for a great cause!!! My kids could do this with me. They are 9 and 11 and both play travel soccer, so they're in good shape!!!

OMalley1118,
I saw this on a shirt and as I start running 5ks in preparation for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler in Oct 2014 this is what I live by

FDL>DNF>DNT

And of course I will explain as I had NO idea what it meant..
Finished Dead Last is greater than Did Not Finish which is greater than Did Not Try

I can see me on the 10 Miler finishing last, but I will finish, and a year ago and 160 pounds heavier, I would never have even tried. I "ran" the CC5K last month and it was great. Well worth getting up early and heading to the island for.
Good luck.

Our Fantasy cruise last week was not able to dock right away at CC, although the Captain was able to get over there a few hours later.

anyway, the CC5K was done on deck 4 of the ship that day. All who participated still got their Mickey medals, and once we did get to CC, I still got the tee shirt for my dd who did run it on the ship.

I am a walker too, but figured this might be a nice way to see more of CC then sitting in my beach chair? And fun for my DD, (8) or is there an age requirement? and what do I "win" lol

I am a walker too, but figured this might be a nice way to see more of CC then sitting in my beach chair? And fun for my DD, (8) or is there an age requirement? and what do I "win" lol

I think most of what you see is a concrete or black top "landing strip"?

I think most of what you see is a concrete or black top "landing strip"?

The loop is a paved road through vegetation to the lookout tower. You run the loop, then run the landing strip to serenity beach, back through the loop again, then to the start/finish area. It isn't picturesque by any means, but the loop is quite peaceful.
Iirc there was a person who took almost an hour to do the CC5K and the cast members were still waiting with the medal ;). Loved doing his run as my first ever run, it was a very friendly and positive environment.

I am running the London Marathon in 2 weeks. I am not a runner and I have hated every minute of training!! I have been saying I will never run again..... The only exception being the CC 5k!! I am currently putting inspirational quotes up in my classroom. Love the greater than quote! Thank you!!

Our Fantasy cruise last week was not able to dock right away at CC, although the Captain was able to get over there a few hours later.

anyway, the CC5K was done on deck 4 of the ship that day. All who participated still got their Mickey medals, and once we did get to CC, I still got the tee shirt for my dd who did run it on the ship.

Out of curiosity, how many laps do you have to run on Deck 4 to make a 5k?

OMalley1118,
I saw this on a shirt and as I start running 5ks in preparation for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler in Oct 2014 this is what I live by

FDL>DNF>DNT

And of course I will explain as I had NO idea what it meant..
Finished Dead Last is greater than Did Not Finish which is greater than Did Not Try

I can see me on the 10 Miler finishing last, but I will finish, and a year ago and 160 pounds heavier, I would never have even tried. I "ran" the CC5K last month and it was great. Well worth getting up early and heading to the island for.
Good luck.

I love this! I have told my family that I want us to do it together on our next cruise in May 2014. I am NOT a runner AT ALL. I'm positive I could walk it, even now not being in great shape, but I'm determined we will do it together, even if we do end up walking part or all of it. I will be keeping this in my mind as I start my training regimen. :goodvibes

My husband is planning on walking when go in May. He has heart failure and is very determined to do this race. He has been training. Right now it takes him 55 minutes to walk 3 miles. However, will have to see how the heat will effect him.

My husband is planning on walking when go in May. He has heart failure and is very determined to do this race. He has been training. Right now it takes him 55 minutes to walk 3 miles. However, will have to see how the heat will effect him.

That's great! It takes me 45 minutes to jog walk it, so he is walking quickly!

he has long legs.
I ran it last year and I think he tires of waiting at the finish line for me too finish a race.
Since this is a flat course he thinks he should be able to finish.
His doctors are amazed that he can go as far as he does.

Just did the CC5K on March 30 while on the Dream. I'm 99% sure they said it was for children ages 12 and up.

Out of curiosity, how many laps do you have to run on Deck 4 to make a 5k?

It was 7 and 3/4. The decks were wet too, so many people were trying so hard to be careful, but they all said they didn't see anyone fall, thank goodness. Disney actually didn't "promote" the run in this case, because they didn't take responsibility. They said to do it on your own time and your own pace, etc, and not to worry about finishing times. My girl's only 12 so not like she thought she was going to win it anyway, just wanted to have fun and was sad not to run on the island.

I also heard it was only for 12 and older. Friends were told their 10 year old might not have been able to get off the ship earlier with the rest of the group if we had been able to run on CC Island. I'm sure that varies by cruise dates and do all other things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter