Castaway Cay 5k

Great blog!

We did this in August, 2011!

We had bib numbers but no medals, which makes me a bit sad. Our DS came in second overall (he was 16, but they let him run, since he is on the cross country team at his high school and had been training all summer), and I think he would have really liked the medal.

We did not meet at the bar on the ship. We just met at the starting point by the bike rental at 9 am. The run started at 9:15. No official race clock; just the CM, who rode the course on a bike, with a stopwatch.

I find it really interesting how this has changed over the years.

We were just on the Magic 6 night Western Caribbean, and my DH and I walked the CC5K with a friend. We got bibs and medals as well, and there was a special CC5K t-shirt that you could purchase. Since we didn't pay to do the race, I thought the $22 for the new t-shirt was a bargain! The CM in charge told us we were the first Magic cruise to have the opportunity to buy the shirts!
2012MarchDisneyCruise292.jpg

To the OP: Great Post! I hope the extra hoopla around the CC5k keeps up with the other cruises.

I started 5K training this year and have been looking forward to my first '5K' race on CC. Time to start studying the map to make sure I know where I'm going. :surfweb:

I am happy to see there is a shirt now too! I hope they printed enough for all the people who participate in the future.

DCL has obviously been listening to all the DISers. It's so cool to see how much influence this community really has! (of course it gets them a quick $22 out of each of us).

Awesome recap! I'm going on the Fantasy next January and I'm so excited to do the 5k. :goodvibes I love doing fun, informal races like that.

I just spent a bunch of time reading your blog and just have to say wow! It made me wish I was at "the curve" in DHS with you when you got inspired to run.

I have just recently started to run and have set the CC 5K as a goal to keep myself motivated but after reading your blog, there might be other Disney races I might be aiming for in the future.

I just spent a bunch of time reading your blog and just have to say wow! It made me wish I was at "the curve" in DHS with you when you got inspired to run.

I have just recently started to run and have set the CC 5K as a goal to keep myself motivated but after reading your blog, there might be other Disney races I might be aiming for in the future.

LOL thank you. my blog is my baby, I love writing and have been so blessed with how it has grown. I think thats a great goal!

to the others: I saw the shirts in the shop, but didn't buy one, and now I regret it! Will have to pick one up next month when I vacation with hubby on our cruise!

I asked the CM about the evolution of the 5k and he said they started slowly adding in things/making changes and so it has kind of been all over the place as far as organization, etc. for the past year. So glad to see it was more official!

We ran in Aug '09...10 people ran and 5 were our family. the bibs and medals sound cool. We are going in May and this will be my third disney race this year. I did the full in Jan and the Princess in feb.

Great blog on the Castaway 5K! I coach Girls on the Run at my school and have been going back and forth as to whether or not to run this 5K but I think I definitely will! It'll be great to bring a memento back to my girls and show them I just didn't lay around on my cruise!

Do they allow kids to run/walk in the 5k? Thinking of bringing my jogging stroller to push my youngest in...

Great pics and blog! I live in South Mississippi too! Over in Ocean Springs! This will be my hubby's 1st official "race" I can't wait to finally run with him after all the ones I have done! Thanks for all the info!
awesome! I am in biloxi! I run the OS bridge all the time

Do they allow kids to run/walk in the 5k? Thinking of bringing my jogging stroller to push my youngest in...
good question! I am not sure. The youngest I was was a girl about 13. They also had an island power walk group but they weren't part of the 5k/didn't have bibs or medals

we probably had 30-35 people participate.

They do not allow kids to do the CC5K, and a jogging stroller would be huge to try and store in a cruise ship cabin! :rotfl:

Ooo.
So not fair! I ran this in 2010 for a water bottle.
I guess I'll just have to book another cruise!
(My Galveston itineraries-no CC-no shirts.)

I vaguely recall seeing jogging strollers at Castaway for you to rent. That being said, if you wanted to participate in a physical activity, and didn't not want to leave your baby behind, I find it hard to believe DCL would deny you the chance to run.

That's a bummer that they don't allow kids on the 5K. I think that would have been fun to participate. Maybe we'll leave them in the kids clubs, run the 5K and then run back to the ship to pick them up and go to the beach. I was hoping we'd run it and then go right into the surf when done! :cool2:
Definitely won't lug the jogging stroller then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter