Castaway Cay 5k

MrsMinease

Mouseketeer
I've just stumbled on a post referring to this, and some searching seems to indicate that this is offered for most occassions where the ship stops at CC. Can anyone confirm this? I'd love to run a 5k there!

They did it on the Thanksgiving cruise, last year. Pretty sure it's always done....at least it's been done on all 5 cruises that I've been on. You have to get pretty early and that's usually a deterrent for most people. :)

Tim

They did it on the Thanksgiving cruise, last year. Pretty sure it's always done....at least it's been done on all 5 cruises that I've been on. You have to get pretty early and that's usually a deterrent for most people. :)

Tim

What time is it run?

i believe it is at 8:30. we r planning on doing it on our 1/29/11 cruise, can't wait!

This is so fantastic, and I don't even mind the early wake up! I started running again about 3 weeks ago, and by our trip in early May, I'll be ready to do 5K for sure. It gives me a great goal to work towards.

Anyone on the May 5/11, 3 day trip interested in joining me on the run? :)

What time is it run?

On the Disney Dream cruise we just went on (the Magical Preview), it was at 9AM....it's really going to vary based on when they get the ships docked and ready to disembark. I had one that was super early (like 630AM or something like that).

Is this something that you have to sign up for in advance? We are booked on a March 2013 cruise, and how do I find out if they are doing the 5k run then?

We did the 5K in December. You don't have to sign up in advance. You just show up at the time and place listed in the Navigator.

I think the CC5K can be a great motivator to stick to your fitness goals, but I was really disappointed with the event itself. We got off the boat, were shown the route on the map and then sent on our way. The CM took off with the front group and that was the last time we saw him. We were about middle of the pack, so it wasn't like we were at the end and everyone else was done. I presume the CM finished with the front runners and that was the end. There was no certificate, no hype, nothing special. We could have just gotten off the boat and run 3.1 miles and had the exact same experience.

Personally I think using the term 5K makes people think of a 5K race. I am thinking it is more of a run (not that I have done it before, but I want to). I am prepared for that based on the descriptions posted on this board (in the past too) but the first cruise I was too nervous to do it because I am more of a jogger.

I did the run in early January. I was on the Wonder NYE cruise. There were 22 people, and I came in around #19, and yes I was on my own for finding the route, but I was met at the end with a great DCL water bottle and a towel to dry off. It was a great prep for the WDW 5K run 2 days later.

I've done this race on our last 2 cruises and it was amazing!! It's also a great way to see the entire island. I plan on doing it on our cruise this July as well.

It's more of a leisurely run. The first time it was timed, but the second time no one kept time of anything.

Have fun!!

I did the CC 5K last year on our 7-day Western on the Magic (I think we got started at about 9:00 am) and did receive a magical moment certificate for it (delivered to the room later that day). We are doing a B2B on the Dream for spring break this year and I plan on doing the 5k again (I get to do it twice, actually!).

Glad I came across this thread! Has anyone run the 5K with a jogging stroller?

Just be aware that the second half of the 5K you are running against the traffic of people going off the ship. My DS (21) had a horrible time on the return leg, because people had the walkway jammed all the way across going the opposite way and were very rude to him when he politely asked to get through. On a different cruise, my DH and I had the same problem. It would really help if they could hold it before the general unloading of the ship, or else have a separate path for the runners to use. Some cruises get certificates, some do not. We didn't on either cruise, but we did get water bottles upon completion. We all did it once for the experience, but all agree we would prefer to just run on our own from here on out. At least that way we can stay at the further end of the island, and not have to deal with as much traffic.

I had a similar issue with the crowds on the pathway. Before leaving the ship, we were warned about the crowds and to politely call out that you were coming through. I politely excused myself, and all but one group shared the path. The group that did not share the path, I just kept very slowly running, and someone finally had to budge to make room. Remember, they just got off the ship and are excited and just finding their way, and it is not a race. It is for the fun of it. I have my water bottle at work, and I think of the experience every day. I plan to do it on my next visit - better than running around the ship 9 times. Hmmm, is the Fantasy longer along with being higher? Does that mean I will have to run around the ship fewer times? Anyone know the # of laps around the Dream equals 5K?

We did the 5k in early Dec 10. Our DD-6 joined us. I walked most of it with DD while DH ran ahead. No water bottles, no certificates. We were asked when we arrived at our meeting point for our names and stateroom number, but never received anything. The route has changed a bit over the years. In Dec, the 5k group was allowed to disembark before it was announced, so we were the first on the island. We ran from the ship, onto the bike path near Cookies too, out to the landing strip, around the bike trail, up to the bike trail that parallels Serenity Bay to the end, and then back to the Serenity Bay tram stop, total 3.5 miles. We took the tram back to the family beach. We never had to run against traffic. We were able to get some great pictures with DD and some characters on our way back to the ship as many people had still not gotten off. DD and I took just under an hour to walk/run...mostly walk. I am not a fast runner, but I did just complete my 1st half marathon Jan 8th at WDW. My wish is that next time the kids club is open so I can drop DD off and run/walk at my normal pace.

We did the 5k on the Magic 1/3/11 sailing. It was a double dip cruise, they told us if we ran both days they would receive a special gift for those who participated both days. I ran with my DS10 and his best friends also 10. We were the last ones back - 50 minutes. Their PE teacher said it would count towards their roadrunners races if they brought back a certificate. When I asked Heather, CM, she said she would get with Oscar the other CM who organizes this event.
We did not run the 2nd day but saw Heather as the boys were on their way to the Kayak Tour. She said she would get them a certificate. The last night of the cruise Oscar hand delivered 2 water bottles and a note from Heather & Oscar thanking the boys for running with them. The boys were really excited about the water bottle and "proof" of running the 5k. They have done 3k's but this was their 1st 5k.

Regular posters who post on the 5k threads will know Ive always wanted to run one, 3 cruises and never a cc5k, well last cruise, panama cruise, it was listed for 9.30, yippee, finally get to do it.... couldnt dock it was too windy:sad2: my next cruise will be after the disney marathon and not sure I will do it:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter