• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay 5K

Do you think it is joggable with a jogging stroller? We will have a 2 year old with us and I would love to do it as our first family 5k. DH has wanted to do one and I would love to train with him. Is the trail paved?

Yes, it is held on every cruise. And, on cruises that stop at CC twice, they run it twice.

What is suppose to happen, is on CC day, the runners meet on the stairs leading to Deck 1, and you are met by a cast member that explains the route and runs with you around the island.

For our run, when we got there the first CC day (we were on a double dip), it was rainy and our cast member was feeling "under the weather," so he gave us maps and explained the route, and didn't run with us. It was actually a perfect day to run - overcast, on and off drizzle. There is plenty of water along the way, so I just ran with my iPod. There were no walkkers that day, which I think is because of the weather - only the die hard runners and people that wanted to say the did it (me! - not a die hard runner!) were there.

After it's over, the cast member was waiting for us by the ship, where we were met with a bottle of cold Evian water o drink, and given a purple DCL plastic beverage bottle, which I use every day when I exercise.

After I got back on the ship and showered and ate breakfast, the sun came out, just in time to go back to CC :goodvibes

I didn't run it the 2nd day, because I felt like the whole process took too long (run, shower, late breakfast = less time relaxing at Castaway Cay). So, the following 3 days, I went to the gym instead around 6:30-6:45am.
FYI< it was liseted in navigator as a power walk on our cruise so i did not go so not sure if anybody ran.
Does anyone know if there is a shower facility in the bathrooms on the island?

I'm not a "runner" but I would love to walk/jog for the 5k. Is that acceptable or are there mostly avid runners participating?

I would happily go and walk if I was you.

Here are some good pics

http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/07/09/island-tour-on-your-feet-dcl-castaway-cay-5k/

This would be perfect! We will be on the Dream for spring break which is when my daughter starts training for track. She will be almost 14 and has run several 5k's in under 35 minutes. So you don't think there would be any problem if she and I showed up for the run? I am slower but I can usually keep her in my sights. This is probably what should say to the CM when we get to CC. :rolleyes:

The Castaway 5k was SO much fun! And I felt I totally 'earned' the extra cookie or 3 at cookies that afternoon! There were a bunch of folks who did it on the EBTA and it there was a huge range of runners/walkers/joggers. (I was one of the first 5 finishers and trust me, I am NOT that fast!). My favorite part was meeting fellow running cruisers! It's definitely on my 'must do' list for the WBTA next year! We didn't get any water bottles though!!!!! Just a certificate back in the room later on that night.

The WDW Marathon is on my race 'bucket list' too but its a few weeks earlier than what I'm looking at this winter.

Does anyone know if the kids clubs are open on the ship that early? I want to run the 5K, but don't have anyone to watch the kids. If they clubs are open do they take the kids off the ship or keep them there in the club?

I am so excited to be doing this 5k run. I too am a slow runner but I for sure signing up to do it. How cool would it be to say that you did this.

But now is the issue w/ the family members. I have been expecting that they would go w/ me (ages 6 and 9) plus my DH but now I wonder if I am telling them something that isn't true (actually they would be thrilled to find that they don't have to do it) But doesn't:yay: Mom know best :)

How early do the runners get to go running. I really do my best as early as possible. Early enough for me to NOT know what I am getting myself into :)

I will be on the Wonder Halloween Cruise? Anyone Else?

Do you think it is joggable with a jogging stroller? We will have a 2 year old with us and I would love to do it as our first family 5k. DH has wanted to do one and I would love to train with him. Is the trail paved?

Yes. The race is run on the walking path, runway and bike path. The only obstacle will be running around the families walking to the beach.

Yes. The race is run on the walking path, runway and bike path. The only obstacle will be running around the families walking to the beach.

Thank you!

I am not a runner but am thinking I would start training to do this on our Feb. cruise. It would be my first 5k. Can anyone give me a time frame that would be acceptable to finish in. That way I can make sure I am ready , I really have no idea how long this would take. Thanks:goodvibes

Just to let you all know, our cruise... no cc 5k on navigator, on the night before they said there would be, but there wasnt, I went to ask the route cc moring, guest servicesthen went and asked someone else, they showed us on the map, anyway it was a LOT LOT longer than a 5k the route they showed us so just to let you know, guest services dont know the route and should have just said that.

I plan on doing this on my January cruise - I just did my 2nd 5k this past Saturday. I figure the weather should be perfect for the 5k then.

Just curious if there is a place to sign up in advance? I always find it more motivating if you are already signed up, no wimping out!

I am not a runner but am thinking I would start training to do this on our Feb. cruise. It would be my first 5k. Can anyone give me a time frame that would be acceptable to finish in. That way I can make sure I am ready , I really have no idea how long this would take. Thanks:goodvibes

DH and I are walkers. We both did the CC5K on our September cruise. I highly recommend it! :thumbsup2 We were the only two walkers that particular day, so obviously brought up the rear. I can do a walking 5K in under 40 minutes, DH took about 5 minutes longer. The CM had no problem with that. We were sure to let him know that we were walking when we gathered that morning, so he knew what to expect. Have a great time!

DH and I are walkers. We both did the CC5K on our September cruise. I highly recommend it! :thumbsup2 We were the only two walkers that particular day, so obviously brought up the rear. I can do a walking 5K in under 40 minutes, DH took about 5 minutes longer. The CM had no problem with that. We were sure to let him know that we were walking when we gathered that morning, so he knew what to expect. Have a great time!

Thank-you, it gives me something to shoot for maybe 30 minutes jogging.:thumbsup2

My brother runs ultra-marathons, so I think this 5k would be a relaxing little jog for him while on vacation! Maybe I'll start training now so I can do it with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter