castaway cay 5k award ?

Ran it on Tuesday. It's a plastic Mickey medal on a red "Winner" lanyard. No certificates.

Here is the award my husband got in July. I put a post-it next to it for size comparison. Other than a bib number this is all he got.

Does anybody know what they have been giving out after the 5k run?

It's very "informal" and the course is pretty dull. Have ran it 5 times and the only reason I keep running it because I'm a runner and why not :) The reward is a cheap plastic medal I usually don't bother to pick up anymore. Time is kept manually by a CM, sometimes not at all. The course if not quite 5K, though, maybe 4.8K, if you care about that stuff.

They've had a big digital timer clock the two times I ran it. Feb and oct 2013. You still have to keep track of it on your own, but they have had the clock.

Are there people that WALK the 5K? We are not runners or joggers, both of us in our mid-60's, but walk 2 miles or so every day. :thumbsup2 We would like to try this but would like someone to be there at the end. We don't mind coming in last, but do like to finish. :goodvibes

When I did it in May there were walkers. I do running and walking. There were people of all ages going at a variety of speeds. You'll be fine.

Are there people that WALK the 5K? We are not runners or joggers, both of us in our mid-60's, but walk 2 miles or so every day. :thumbsup2 We would like to try this but would like someone to be there at the end. We don't mind coming in last, but do like to finish. :goodvibes

From everything I know and have read about the CC5K, there seems to be little consistency with respect to how long CM's stay at the finish. I ran it in February (the term 'running' may be a bit of a stretch - but hey, it was my first 5k) and finished in about 45 minutes. If I wasn't the last person on the course, I was pretty close, and as I crossed the finish, it appeared to me that they were getting ready to pack up.

My thought is that you should do it anyway. I understand from other threads that if the CM is not there at the finish, odds are good that they will deliver your MIckey Medals to your stateroom afterwards.

That's what I meant by manual :) i.e. is not chip-timed.

Ok. :)

Yes there are walkers.

Can we sign up for the 5k ahead of time or do we have to wait until we are on board? Thx!

Onboard. Info on how to do it for your sailing will be in your Navigator!

I ran the 5k on Saturday, you get to keep the bib and the plastic medal as pictured. My knee gave up on me after the 2k mark so walked/ jogged the last part so finished in 42 minutes and there were still a lot of people behind me.
The distance is 4.87km (measured by Garmin FR10)

I ran the 5k on Saturday, you get to keep the bib and the plastic medal as pictured. My knee gave up on me after the 2k mark so walked/ jogged the last part so finished in 42 minutes and there were still a lot of people behind me.
The distance is 4.87km (measured by Garmin FR10)

Yeah, it's usually measured just under 3 miles for me. Clearly not a certified course, but they don't advertise it as such.

The 5K is a nice, no-extra-charge event, but I think it would be nice for them to have a better medal (you know, maybe one that says "Castaway Cay 5K" rather than "Winner", which makes no sense). Although I might get booed for this, I'd be willing to pay a registration fee if it included a nice medal and a T-shirt.

The 5K is a nice, no-extra-charge event, but I think it would be nice for them to have a better medal (you know, maybe one that says "Castaway Cay 5K" rather than "Winner", which makes no sense). Although I might get booed for this, I'd be willing to pay a registration fee if it included a nice medal and a T-shirt.

The medals are shared with events like hoops-shooting contests.

They have two scheduled proper 5ks for which people will be paying a pretty penny. First you have to participate in marathon or princess weekend races. Then book a very specific cruise. Then pay for the special cc 5k.

After the land run and cruise, I'm paying another $69.73 for a run, shirt, and better medal after the wdw half next year. You sure you want them to go down that road for all cc 5ks? They sure know how to charge money!

I'm fine with the free one remaining free and taking the cool bib and plastic medal.

Lets be honest. I run these Disney races for the shirt. I know I have to buy it, but does anyone know what it looks like? :)

Never mind! I found it on Google. Not the most adorable shirt ever, but it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine. Unless it is really hot, or I imbibe too much the night before. :)

Is it a plain t-shirt, or a tech shirt?

Lets be honest. I run these Disney races for the shirt. I know I have to buy it, but does anyone know what it looks like? :) Never mind! I found it on google. Not the most adorable shirt ever, but it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine. Unless it is really hot, or I imbibe too much the night before. :)

At least the paid races (well, above 5K except Everest) give you tech shirts. Cotton is sooooo useless for running or working out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter