Castaway 5k REALLY 3.10 miles??

dandjfla

DCL addict!
I ran the Castaway 5k on Saturday and used my Nike + app while running. At the end my app only registered 2.42 miles. Just curious if it was my app that was glitching or not!

that's interesting, and i'm curious to know the answer. Maybe we can measure on google maps or something. i'm sure DCL measured it out somehow.

my feeling is that it's pretty close. i ran the castaway cay 5k twice, without any gps, and with my usual race effort I finished pretty close to what I know my usual race pace to be at that time. It was not a PR.

Mine came in just under 3.1. But not as low as yours read. But I didn't go quite all to the end of the pavement at the turnaround and that sort of thing. They aren't really precise as to exactly where to go. :). But it was something like 3.02 on my garmin.

hi,

yes I did it in August and it was exactly 5km. I had my garmin watch with GPS and it was the right distance.

I ran the Castaway 5k on Saturday and used my Nike + app while running. At the end my app only registered 2.42 miles. Just curious if it was my app that was glitching or not!

My guess is that you skipped one of the loops... You need to to the loops twice - on your way over and your way back from the end of the runway.

It is supposed to be a measured 5K.

Did you do the loop around the tower twice? When I ran it, I came in at 3.1 on the nose.

Yes - in fact, my Nike GPS said I ran over....... Just ran Thurs.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yeah I ran both loops and I finished around my usual time but I felt like I was running slower. I'm glad most of you have had it read 3.1 or close to it. Guess my app was on Bahamian time lol

Yeah I ran both loops and I finished around my usual time but I felt like I was running slower. I'm glad most of you have had it read 3.1 or close to it. Guess my app was on Bahamian time lol
My time was way off. Between eating too much, drinking too much and the heat and humidity I was way off my normal training time and WAY off my race time. However, it was a lot of fun, I'm glad I ran it.

My garmin read 3.05. Definitely sounds like you missed the loop or the out and back between the loops.

I have found phone apps to be as much as .1 mile short per mile run, depending on the app. My Garmin is much, much more accurate based on my own measuring, official race courses, and mapping on google maps. There's nothing like running a 5K (according to your phone app) and looking up and seeing the finish line is still a couple tenths of a mile away. Ugh!!!

Also, with this being a fun run and not an official race, there is no need to certify the course at the length. An approximation will do.

My Nike App had me at 3.12 in Aug. It was nice to get a run in and not feel too guilty for laying on the beach afterwards and eating way too much at Cooks! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter