Cast Member Gifts

I also made this mistake and tried to tip a couple of CMs who really went above and beyond. Both CMs of course refused and now I know why, but we did go find a manager and conveyed our appreciation. I think the fact that so many of us have had these extraordinary experiences with CMs is really a testiment to Disney's system, and is at the heart of why we keep going back to WDW. Hope that never changes--it was so heartbreaking for us to hear about all the layoffs this past year.

Not only do we carry gift cards from Starbucks for CMs but also for members of the military we see in our travels. The cards we give to military are placed inside a small prewritten thank you card expressing our thanks for service to our country. One example: In December 2019 we gave this simple jester of thanks to a man wearing a ballcap with a WWII marking. We went to take our seats on the plane after we handed the card to this man. It warmed our hearts as we heard his son explaining what the card was for as we were seated a few rows away. After the flight they waited to say thank you. For sure, the thanks was all ours. We enjoy the freedom to travel etc. because of those that have served. We use Starbucks as it is a popular chain and they do have drinks other than coffee or yummy treats. I also carry individually wrapped cookies from Cheryl's Cookies, a company in our great state of OH. :) Before traveling I print out labels on the computer to stick to the back of the cookie package. We share with bus drivers, air flight crew and pilots (best reactions ever), check-in folks at the airport and hotel, and CMs at Disney. Our recognition and words of thanks never fail to bring a smile and in some cases a hug. We have even asked parent's permission and shared with little ones that are being well behaved and polite. (Note: TSA folks have declined the offer of the cookies. They are not permitted to accept a gift.) We enjoy Paying it forward in this small way. Numerous times we have also written letters to guest services regarding positive interactions with CMs. I have even taken pictures of nametags (with permission) so I do not forget the person. A letter with a specific name helps at GS, I assume. And I hope GS reaches out and shares the recognition. :)

While wrapped food or candy is thoughtful in Covid times might not be the best way to show appreciation.
I understand. These are individually wrapped and packaged when you receive. Not unlike a packet of peanuts, a brownie or cookies you may be handed on a flight. However, I would fully understand if someone refused the jester due to Covid. I would fully understand. We personally are not traveling until things are safer due to our ages.

Not only do we carry gift cards from Starbucks for CMs but also for members of the military we see in our travels. The cards we give to military are placed inside a small prewritten thank you card expressing our thanks for service to our country. One example: In December 2019 we gave this simple jester of thanks to a man wearing a ballcap with a WWII marking. We went to take our seats on the plane after we handed the card to this man. It warmed our hearts as we heard his son explaining what the card was for as we were seated a few rows away. After the flight they waited to say thank you. For sure, the thanks was all ours. We enjoy the freedom to travel etc. because of those that have served. We use Starbucks as it is a popular chain and they do have drinks other than coffee or yummy treats. I also carry individually wrapped cookies from Cheryl's Cookies, a company in our great state of OH. :) Before traveling I print out labels on the computer to stick to the back of the cookie package. We share with bus drivers, air flight crew and pilots (best reactions ever), check-in folks at the airport and hotel, and CMs at Disney. Our recognition and words of thanks never fail to bring a smile and in some cases a hug. We have even asked parent's permission and shared with little ones that are being well behaved and polite. (Note: TSA folks have declined the offer of the cookies. They are not permitted to accept a gift.) We enjoy Paying it forward in this small way. Numerous times we have also written letters to guest services regarding positive interactions with CMs. I have even taken pictures of nametags (with permission) so I do not forget the person. A letter with a specific name helps at GS, I assume. And I hope GS reaches out and shares the recognition. :)

Love that you think to do that for so many including our military. The smallest gestures truly make a big impact. I remember when my son was 2 we were out to eat at a restaurant to celebrate our first house being sold and I noticed the couple in the booth in front of us would glance over at us every one in a while. Now this wasn't a fancy place, but also not exactly your standard chain restaurant so I was assuming the worst and they were annoyed we had our son. When they got up to leave they came over and handed my son a dollar bill and said they were so impressed with how well behaved he was. As a parent there is truly no better compliment and it made our day and I was honestly happier about that then I was about selling our house lol.

Yeah, if a stranger handed me food – even something pre-wrapped – it would go in the trash.

Reward good service with compliments to their superiors, not knickknacks.
There's a guest that visits the parks every day, he's on an ecv and always brings a huge bag of wrapped candy. The cm look forward to him coming every time :)

There's a guest that visits the parks every day, he's on an ecv and always brings a huge bag of wrapped candy. The cm look forward to him coming every time :)
I was starting to think I was the only one that would take package wrapped candy from a stranger. Shoot, I've taken unwrapped candy from strangers at runDisney races haha

Love that you think to do that for so many including our military. The smallest gestures truly make a big impact. I remember when my son was 2 we were out to eat at a restaurant to celebrate our first house being sold and I noticed the couple in the booth in front of us would glance over at us every one in a while. Now this wasn't a fancy place, but also not exactly your standard chain restaurant so I was assuming the worst and they were annoyed we had our son. When they got up to leave they came over and handed my son a dollar bill and said they were so impressed with how well behaved he was. As a parent there is truly no better compliment and it made our day and I was honestly happier about that then I was about selling our house lol.
Nice memory. Thanks for the positivity. I was an elementary school principal for 13 years. I was in a school of 550 students. The BEST job I ever had!! Positive recognition builds positivity. I bet your son if the best because of two great parent role models. Pixi dust.....................

Yeah, if a stranger handed me food – even something pre-wrapped – it would go in the trash.

Reward good service with compliments to their superiors, not knickknacks.
"No thank you" is an acceptable response if one does not care to partake. I think it is excellent you reward good service with compliments to superiors. That is an exceptional practice. Maybe the "knickknacks" are a Midwest thing??? I have never had anyone say no. To a person all have only been appreciative. TSA kindly explained they are not permitted to accept things but expressed appreciation when I first started doing this several vacations ago. Compliments for good behavior and service are great. Sometimes positive actions are not for good service but to brighten a day. It is a wonderful world and we can all express ourselves differently.

"No thank you" is an acceptable response if one does not care to partake. I think it is excellent you reward good service with compliments to superiors. That is an exceptional practice. Maybe the "knickknacks" are a Midwest thing??? I have never had anyone say no. To a person all have only been appreciative. TSA kindly explained they are not permitted to accept things but expressed appreciation when I first started doing this several vacations ago. Compliments for good behavior and service are great. Sometimes positive actions are not for good service but to brighten a day. It is a wonderful world and we can all express ourselves differently.
To be honest CMs like teachers might take the pre-wrapped food or candy and thank you. Then dispose of it as you don’t know dietary restrictions, allergies , diabetes, weight loss program that CM might have. They will be polite but... you don’t know that they eat. Best thing is compliment on Twitter or via letter.

To be honest CMs like teachers might take the pre-wrapped food or candy and thank you. Then dispose of it as you don’t know dietary restrictions, allergies , diabetes, weight loss program that CM might have. They will be polite but... you don’t know that they eat. Best thing is compliment on Twitter or via letter.
I will do whatever I wish and you are welcome to do the same. :)

A note at guest relations or a #castcompliment on Twitter does get back to the CM AND to their management. In many cases, management will link this to a CM's record card. Likewise, you can #castcompliment entire shows, shifts, restaurants, etc. and it will usually get read at a daily meeting and sometimes linked to record cards. This is honestly the best way to "pay it forward" to CMs.

Can you get a couple of the Cast Compliment forms at Guest Services as you enter the park? That way I can fill them out while the experience is still fresh in my brain. Then I'd turn them in on the way out.

I haven't read all the responses, but I would like to recommend filling out a compliment card at guest services for them. I understand it makes a difference with raises and promotions, and it could possibly save their job if someone makes a complaint about them since there would be something good to counter it.
Don't forget to compliment people in grounds crews and custodial; they are often overlooked.

Paper notes at GR is the best way to go. Yes you can take a pic of the nametags

Disney is usually super responsive to the tweets as well. I used to just tweet and tag @wdwguestservice with #castcompliment. Make sure you include the cast members name, city, where you interacted with them, and it helps if you give a brief mention of why you were super appreciative. They make sure that it gets to the CM and their supervisor.

Can you get a couple of the Cast Compliment forms at Guest Services as you enter the park? That way I can fill them out while the experience is still fresh in my brain. Then I'd turn them in on the way out.

that's why I like twitter. I always have my phone. I can do it as I am thinking about it - usually while in line at the next ride. By the time I get off the ride or at least before I leave the park, they have generally replied and I know the CM got recognized.

Disney is usually super responsive to the tweets as well. I used to just tweet and tag @wdwguestservice with #castcompliment. Make sure you include the cast members name, city, where you interacted with them, and it helps if you give a brief mention of why you were super appreciative. They make sure that it gets to the CM and their supervisor.
The Twitter team is laid off at the moment

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter