cash

DisneyCrunch

Mouseketeer
I assume we can get cash (US dollars) on the ship? How is this done and is there a fee?

How about other currencies? Should I arrange to get some "cash" in other currencies from my bank before I leave or can I do this on the ship (I'd prefer not to do it at the foreign ports)?

I assume we can get cash (US dollars) on the ship? How is this done and is there a fee?

How about other currencies? Should I arrange to get some "cash" in other currencies from my bank before I leave or can I do this on the ship (I'd prefer not to do it at the foreign ports)?

Guest Services will cash personal checks and traveler's checks, into US $. They do limit how much they will cash (not sure the amount). We have been on both the Eastern and Western itineraries, and never had any problem with using US $ at any shop or vendor, so there is really no need to have any foreign currency. We usually take enough cash to handle room service tips and other small items and use credit cards to make purchases on shore. Unless you are planning to pay your shipboard account with cash, you really don't need to take a lot of cash with you.

Bringing enough cash with me is problematic in theory because a) it means traveling from VT> FL by air, staying in a hotel in PC, etc all with a big wad of cash on me which is somewhat anxiety-provoking...and b) I have NO CLUE how much cash I'm going to need. I need US dollars for luggage handlers of all stripes, shuttle service tips, room service tips and additional tips for extraordinary service (I plan on paying my compulsory tips by credit card ahead of time) I'm a first time cruiser with a family of 5--it seems IMPOSSIBLE to guess what will be needed (and then annoying to have to carry it all around until I can finally put it in my room safe) Maybe some of these can be put on my account on the ship? But I don't know which ones can (and obviously the hotel shuttle, the luggage dudes, etc I'll need cash for...) :confused3

And I've heard too many horror stories about using credit cards and paying in US dollars at the ports. ie: fraud, getting the wrong change back in the other currency etc. I know I'm probably being overly "nervous" but it would make me feel better just to use the right currency in cash. Some excursions will take us far from port and I don't want to be in a situation where we're far from a way to get cash if it's needed.

I know I'm pretty neurotic but.... there ya are :laughing:

Which cruise are you on? You can get cash from an ATM machine after you land in Orlando. If you were going to Europe, then you would want some foreign currency. However, for a Caribbean cruise, US dollars are accepted almost everywhere from tourists. If you should get back some foreign coins in change - look at them as souvenirs!

If you're worried about carrying a large amount of cash - wear a money belt.

We find more & more in this day of automation that we rely less & less on cash / travelers checks. Other than for tipped positions we use a credit card for just about everything. We put everything on our KTTW cards / ship account & settle up at the end with a cc. We take very little cash these days & what I DO bring I bring in smaller bills ($10's, $5's & $1's) so it's ready for distribution. I honestly wouldn't bring all that much cash. Shopping in the ports we also mainly do with a cc. It is just so much easier.

In all honesty I've never heard of anyone getting island's currency -- you are only going to be in port a few hours.

Just take small bills and you'll be fine. Even in Cozumel- in most shops everything was in both US dollars and pesos.

We just stayed in the Bahamas for 5 days and didn't even get their currency, we just used US dollars.

Can you pay for the tips ahead of time with a credit card? How do you do that?

I feel like I'm in the same boat. First time on a cruise and unsure of how much cash to bring. I am planning on putting almost everything on our Disney Visa. What does everyone else bring, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, you can pay tips in advance by calling DCL and asking that they be put on your credit card. You can do the same thing while on the ship--they are billed to the CC you put on your onboard account.

I bring very little cash...typically about $150. Almost everything can be charged. Hotel check in, rental car or DCL transfers, any LARGE purchases on the islands. Some places do have a $15 or $25 minimum purchase to use a charge card. The vendors at the various booths outside will take mostly cash...and you can't bargain for price if you have a credit card. I'm one who made a credit card purchase and had it charged in Bahamian dollars and included an exchange fee from my bank. Never had this on any other island.

You will need some small bills to tip the baggage handlers if you're not using DCL transfers. If DCL takes you from MCO to the ship, you won't even see your bags. If you will use the porters at the terminal, you'll need some tip money for them. People here talk about tip money for room service, but in actuality, you can put that on your onboard account as well--you sign the slip and indicate the tip.

Every port in the Caribbean takes US dollars--gladly. The only quirky thing I encountered was a sign in the post office on Grand Cayman stating that they could give change in Cayman money only. They happily took my US money to mail postcards (25 cents each). Since I had change, no problem. The post office on Castaway takes only cash. (65 cents for a postcard last time I sent one).

Yes, you can pay tips in advance by calling DCL and asking that they be put on your credit card. You can do the same thing while on the ship--they are billed to the CC you put on your onboard account.

I bring very little cash...typically about $150. Almost everything can be charged. Hotel check in, rental car or DCL transfers, any LARGE purchases on the islands. Some places do have a $15 or $25 minimum purchase to use a charge card. The vendors at the various booths outside will take mostly cash...and you can't bargain for price if you have a credit card. I'm one who made a credit card purchase and had it charged in Bahamian dollars and included an exchange fee from my bank. Never had this on any other island.

You will need some small bills to tip the baggage handlers if you're not using DCL transfers. If DCL takes you from MCO to the ship, you won't even see your bags. If you will use the porters at the terminal, you'll need some tip money for them. People here talk about tip money for room service, but in actuality, you can put that on your onboard account as well--you sign the slip and indicate the tip.

Every port in the Caribbean takes US dollars--gladly. The only quirky thing I encountered was a sign in the post office on Grand Cayman stating that they could give change in Cayman money only. They happily took my US money to mail postcards (25 cents each). Since I had change, no problem. The post office on Castaway takes only cash. (65 cents for a postcard last time I sent one).

You don't even have to worry about calling unless you want to do it way ahead of the cruise or a different card than you use for your KTTW. While we were onboard last yr there were envelopes delivered to the staterooms with the option of using our onboard acct. all we had to do was fill in the desired amount per tip and it was all done. They sent reciepts to the room after it was all applied so we could still hand over envelopes to each server/steward in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter