Cash, Travellers Checks, Credit Cards....

WDW2002

DIS Veteran
HELP!!!

How do you normally breakdown you money?? I am perplexed!! Do I get a bunch of travlers checks, do I just take cash, do I put everything on a credit card?? I just don't know.

Well, it's all up to you but here's what we do:

We make sure we have enough money in the bank & we put our hotel & car on a credit card so we can pay when we get back.

We take a few hundred $'s in cash & the remaining spending money we take in traveller's checks.

I hate to carry around a lot of cash in case it would get stolen (although it never has) & I also get funny about leaving it in the room - even if it is in a safe.

What I've done in the past (and plan to do again) is take a little cash (~$300) and my debit card (atm that works like a master card) and 2 credit cards. I use the debit card first, everywhere that its accepted unless the purchase is less than say ten dollars. If there is a problem with this, then I try the credit card(s). If all else fails, I have the cash to fall back on. You can buy virtually everything with a credit card. If I have to use my cash, then I'll replace it at a local atm (probably with an out-of-network fee). My last trip I was using a credit card and it got "shut off" until I called to confirm it was me making the purchases. I never use credit cards at home so the spike in spending flagged the computer system. I just had to call and confirm, but at the moment of making a purchase, I had the other one ready to use.

It seems like atm/debit cards have less restrictions than they did a few years ago. I use mine everywhere at home and expect to be able to do the same at WDW.

ALso, not included in my cash reserve, I am collecting ones to bring for tips, etc. I'm also pre-enveloping my mousekeeping tips so they aren't included in the cash reserve either.

HTH
PlutosMyFav

DOING THE SINGLE DIGIT DANCE! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I bring about 300 in cash and if need think you will use more cash than that I would bring traveller's checks. Other than that, we only use credit cards because I hate to keep track of debit card spending or to pay a withdrawal fee at a machine. I get frequenct flier miles so there is a benefit for us to charge things. We've earned quite a few free airline tickets with them. For the most part this gets us through, but there are only 2 of us and most of the time we go to places where credit cards are taken. If you plan to eat mostly at stands or have more people in your group then bring more traveller's checks. Just my method of course.

Jenn

We use our credit cards (mostly for the airmiles) for nearly everything on vacation -- but especially hotel, and car rental (if we rent).

The reason is that if there is a problem with your room (or car) and the problem is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can instruct the CC company to withhold payment and dispute the charges. Virtually every time you will end up not having to pay for unsatisfactory service. The CC company will stick up for *you*.

We take only minimal cash, and when we do need more we use the ATM, or try to get it as "cash back" after a purchase at the grocery store. We have always figured the $2-3 charge from the ATM is better than potentially losing hundreds of dollars.

But honestly, you can use your CC almost everywhere.

Also, isn't there a bank in WDW that will cash a check? I think there used to be. That's another option, that might avoid ATM fees.

April

Can you elaborate on getting air miles? What card? I think my visa has a rewards program but I've never found out the details.

Originally posted by plutosmyfav
Can you elaborate on getting air miles? What card? I think my visa has a rewards program but I've never found out the details.

Hi, plutosmyfav! Call the Visa # on the back of your card and talk to a CS rep about joining their rewards program. Usually, they will let you choose how you want the rewards (airmiles, g/c's, etc.) I don't know about Visa, but our AmEx Gold card charges something like $25/year for being in the program. However, we've gotten plenty of perks and I redeemed a lot of our points a few weeks ago for our upcoming vacation (car rental, plus our night at an offsite hotel since we'll get in the day before.) That right there has saved us $350 on this trip! Even if your Visa charges a minimal fee, the perks usually outweigh it in the long run. HTH!

I know that USAir has a Visa because we just flew on 5 frequent flyer tickets with accumulated miles.

Southwest also has one.

The difference with those 2 is with USAir you can accumulate the miles & use them whenever you want. With Southwest you get a free ticket automatically sent to you when you have 16 credits. (I think a credit is $1000) You must use that ticket within one year of receiving it.

While I prefer to fly Southwest because it is nonstop from my hometown, I like the ability to accumulate the miles & use them whenever I can.

Regardless, we have one of each. My husband uses the USAir for his business & I use the Southwest for mine!!!

This is one of my pet peeves. PLEASE PLEASE don't carry your entire vacation funds in cash! What if you are robbed (and yes it can happen at Disney? Why not? The thieves know there are people around with cash?)

I read a story where a woman going to Paris with her family was robbed of over $5,000 in the Paris airport. That was all her vacation money and she had not even gotten out of the airport!!!! Travelers checks, debit cards etc....

By the way, at last check the debit machine at Publix does not charge an add on for out of network cards. Your bank still might (mine doesn't), but it might save some money if you are there shopping anyway!

I will now get back off my high horse! Sorry!

We usually bring about $200 in cash for little things (towncar and airport food mostly) then we usually charge eveerything to the room. This way I don't have to carry lots of money to the park. I usually only carry my pass, drivers license, $10 in my pocket. No backpack, no fanny pack, nada. It is quite liberating to carry nothing with you. (I usually don't even carry a camera. I am too busy doing to stop and take a picture. :rolleyes: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter