cash instead of credit card

tinkerbell87512

DIS Veteran
I'm very excited to be sailing again next September and I'm also paying everything in cash. I know that it's a cash-less ship. I remember before my last cruise doing all my paperwork online and giving my CC# so all my purchases were charged on that. Is there a way to give cash at port instead of doing the CC? Also I'm not a big spender on the ship so what is there a minimum?

Thanks!

Yes, you can use cash. My parents do this all the time. Just go to guest services as soon as you board. Keep tabs on your spending and add extra as needed. Whatever you don't spend, you'll get refunded by check under your door the last morning.

I sadly had to depart the MAGIC last Saturday - :sad2::sad2:

I had $700 in OBC's and Disney Dollars to put on my account. I filled out the paperwork online with my CC # and once I got done with lunch ( YUMMY ) I went to Guest Services - put all my Disney Dollars on the account and checked my OBC's. Every day I would verify charges ( there were three of us charging to the account ) and informed them I would be doing this daily. I explained that I was going to pay CASH for everything and they stated they would NOTATE the system. In the end I had to pay $6.08 :) my charge card was never touched!

as the poster above me stated - just go and pay as you go - it is quite easy!

I sadly had to depart the MAGIC last Saturday - :sad2::sad2:

I had $700 in OBC's and Disney Dollars to put on my account. I filled out the paperwork online with my CC # and once I got done with lunch ( YUMMY ) I went to Guest Services - put all my Disney Dollars on the account and checked my OBC's. Every day I would verify charges ( there were three of us charging to the account ) and informed them I would be doing this daily. I explained that I was going to pay CASH for everything and they stated they would NOTATE the system. In the end I had to pay $6.08 :) my charge card was never touched!

as the poster above me stated - just go and pay as you go - it is quite easy!

I also do this everytime. It keeps my spending in check a little...very little! But at least I have more of an idea of what is happening rather than jsut getting a huge tab at the end.

I'm very excited to be sailing again next September and I'm also paying everything in cash. I know that it's a cash-less ship. I remember before my last cruise doing all my paperwork online and giving my CC# so all my purchases were charged on that. Is there a way to give cash at port instead of doing the CC? Also I'm not a big spender on the ship so what is there a minimum?

Good for you for paying all in cash! There is not a minimum required spending amount but you will need to tip. Otherwise, if you don't drink alcohol and aren't a souvenirs person you will have no trouble not spending on the ship. It's EASY, of course, between shutters, excursions, bingo if you choose to play,...but you don't HAVE to.

If you use cash, you will be asked to place $200 (Wonder) or $400 (Magic) on your account at the beginning of the cruise. Any time your account gets low, they will notify you by a message in your stateroom; you go to GS and apply more funds to the account. At the end of the cruise, any leftover money will be refunded as above.

If you have any onboard credit or other "funny money" like reward dollars on the account, these will be used first.

Thanks everyone for the help!!! I'm thinking $300 will be a good amount for me. I'm traveling solo and don't drink very much if any at all. So it will be plenty for me with tips and some souviners included. kcashner did you say any left over money would be returned as cash? Or did I read that wrong. How does that work? Thanks again!

I figured with our onboard credits, we would spend an additional $300. On the first day, I went to GS and paid that money. On the last night, I went to GS, and they refunded $84 to me that I hadn't used. We did put our credit card down but didn't need to use it. I spent a lot of money in the shops and bought some pictures and we all had smoothies. We had a great cruise!!
Barbara:goodvibes

My kids (in their 20s) will be putting cash on their accounts. If they have funds remaining will they be able to get their refund in cash?---they will need it for the remainer of our vacation at WDW.

Can you use a debit card--maybe that would be better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter