Cash free

yesmylove

Mouseketeer
Are the cruise ships considered cash free, meaning eveything you buy, merchandise, drinks etc goes on your room card and then you settle up at the end of the cruise or at home when the bill comes in. New cruiser here and I am trying to get all the info I can.

That's pretty much how we do it. We tip for room service deliveries in cash, but otherwise, everything goes on the room key card, including tips for spa treatments, etc., and is charged to a credit card we give Disney before we cruise. That includes tips for the staff, anything you buy in the shops, the cost for excursions, drinks, special coffee, etc., etc. It's very convenient, and we give our kids charging privileges too so they don't have to worry.

Cruise ships won't take cash for merchandise, spa treatments, drinks etc. you can tip in cash but everything else goes on your card and they drop a bill off at the end! I am not sure how it works if you don't put a credit card on file with them however.

That's pretty much how we do it. We tip for room service deliveries in cash, but otherwise, everything goes on the room key card, including tips for spa treatments, etc., and is charged to a credit card we give Disney before we cruise. That includes tips for the staff, anything you buy in the shops, the cost for excursions, drinks, special coffee, etc., etc. It's very convenient, and we give our kids charging privileges too so they don't have to worry.

Just to be clear, you can put down a credit card but ultimately pay in cash if you like. It doesn't have to stay on the credit card.

And we're in the group of folks who still prefer to tip the staff in cash.

Are the cruise ships considered cash free, meaning eveything you buy, merchandise, drinks etc goes on your room card and then you settle up at the end of the cruise or at home when the bill comes in. New cruiser here and I am trying to get all the info I can.

Everything you do on board or on Castaway will be billed to your room key. You can give DCL cash to cover the charges or a CC Number. They will bill the CC every 400.00 dollars or so. You will get the final bill slid under your door during the last night. They do not take cash anywhere on board except Guest Services. Even the laundry room now uses the key card.

I will go to guest services and check every day or so to make sure I do not break the bank. For that reason I do NOT give anyone but the adults who pay the bill the ability to charge. I could see my Grandkids charging many speciality drinks and those puppies add up. However it is up to the parent to allow or Not Allow the minors to be able to charge on the room key.

Thanks everyone for your answers, that really is an easy way of doing things. So if you only need to carry around your room key and not a purse, what do you ladies carry your key in?
Thanks
Kathie

Thanks everyone for your answers, that really is an easy way of doing things. So if you only need to carry around your room key and not a purse, what do you ladies carry your key in?
Thanks
Kathie
I carry my KTTW card in a neck lanyard with a plastic card holder. In the evening to dinner I might take a small shoulder bag and put the lanyard in the bag.

We knew what our excursions were going to cost and put cash on our account the first day we got there. We also added cash throughout our cruise so that our charges didn't go on our credit card. You can request a summary everyday if you like so that you know how much to add each day. It worked perfect for us!!

Can you keep track of your charges on your tv? I know you can on other cruise lines.

As of late October early November 2010 the answer is a big fat NO! But it is very easy to get a copy of all charges and they are updated in real time so you get the most current.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter