Cash, Credit car, travelers check

team_honda

Earning My Ears
Which is the better to use at Disney? I don't believe credit cards I hate being in debt and will never understand the people don't want to pay off their credit cards with their tax refund but will spend the money to stay longer on vacation. Anyone ever have problems with carrying money? And we are at the CBR and I believe they have wall safes

Personally I hate traveling with cash. I'll take just enough for small things (a soda). We use our debit card everywhere and it's faster and safer then cash. I too am anti credit cards.

If you do not have credit cards but don't want to carry cash; Travelers check now come in card form. We just got them at our local bank. It is a Visa card that you can put money on and use anywhere that takes Visa! I think I am going to get them for when we go as I don't want to carry cash on me!

I was robbed at gunpoint once so I rarely carry large amounts of cash on me.

I also don't trust hotel safes very much. I'll put my iPod in there and some cash, but I'm not going to put thousands of my vacation money there.

I prefer to use t-checks or debit cards. Or, *GASP* a credit card. Shocking, I know.

We use traveler's checks for vacation and have never had a problem w/ them at WDW.... we also use our Disney rewards card and sometimes a cc (and then pay it off when we get back). We do take some cash, but don't want to walk around w/ hundreds of dollars of the green stuff!

More and more places are wary of travelers checks these days, there have been a rash of fakes going around, here at least, just something I thought I would mention.

More and more places are wary of travelers checks these days, there have been a rash of fakes going around, here at least, just something I thought I would mention.

All AAA offices nationwide stopped selling Traveler's Cheques and this is one big reason.

I liked taking them because it was like using cash but they could be replaced.

Now, I usually just bring a little cash but mostly use my debit card.

I've always used travelers checks. Don't know what I'd do if I couldn't use them. Don't have a debit card. Those check cards that you can BUY and load and use as a debit card cost $. I liked that my travelers checks were free. I also liked that I stayed on budget with the travelers checks. If its a debit card, I may easily go over my daily budget since I just swipe and pay. Not good for me at all. We'll see.

I don't like to carry large amounts of cash, either. And using the wall safe at the hotel offers some protection, but like Handbag Lady, I would not place all of my vacation funds inside one. With Traveler's Cheques becoming harder to use at many locations, I would suggest cashing them, as needed, at the hotel concierge desk. That way, the majority of your money is protected in case of loss or theft, but you will have cash available to spend during the day.

Which is the better to use at Disney? I don't believe credit cards I hate being in debt and will never understand the people don't want to pay off their credit cards with their tax refund but will spend the money to stay longer on vacation. Anyone ever have problems with carrying money? And we are at the CBR and I believe they have wall safes

(I wonder why you felt it was necessary to assume that credit cards equal debt?)

Never carry more cash then you can afford to lose. So if you were robbed or lost your purse on the way to Disney before you got to the wall safe could you continue your vacation? If not, then you have too much cash.

Use a debit card.

We always take cash and put it on our room key that way we only charge to our room cash we intended to use and not sure a credit card at all on vacation. It worked out well and when we checked out and I went to get my cash back the CM said I have never seen anyone put cash on their room key. So much easier than carrying around the cash with me and nice to just charge it all to the room without worrying about it.

Credit cards do not equal debt. We just got a CC and we pay it off every month. We have the protection of buying with a card and earn points for our purchases (wouldn't with cash) and have had no problems except building good credit, if you could call thata problem.

Credit cards do not equal debt. We just got a CC and we pay it off every month. We have the protection of buying with a card and earn points for our purchases (wouldn't with cash) and have had no problems except building good credit, if you could call thata problem.
I agree. We NEVER carry a balance unless it is a promotion (0% for a certain period of time) and then I put the money into savings (in a separate account) to earn interest until it has to be paid off. :) I earn Disney Reward Dollars from Disney Visa and cash back from Citicard. The trick for us is not to change something we could not pay cash for.

CC for us for the rewards - it's only DEBT if you don't pay it off when you get home.
It actually can be a win/win
I charge EVERYTHING
I earn rewards for the charges
I get to keep the cash in my savings until the minute I pay my CC balance thus earning interest.

Tell me again why paying cash for something is better then taking an interest free - reward earning loan for 2 weeks??

hi there, all 3 of our disney trips in the last 3 years, i carried a very small amount of cash, had a few travellers cheques, and put the rest on my airmiles mastercard that i PREPAID before we left...no debt here, and no worry about cash being lost or stolen...:)
have a great trip
sharon
oh yah, plus i got airmiles when using my mastercar that i put towards all our disney trips..my airmiles buy my tickets into disneyland, our last trip my airmiles bought all 5 of our tickets in, about 1000 dollars in savings :banana:

We use a credit card for most expenditures. We also carry a few traveler's cheques to cash at the front desk for snacks, tips, etc. We pay our credit cards off every month, so there's no interest involved. I think credit cards provide better protection from fraud and usually have lower liability amounts than debit cards. And I think they're easier to deal with in the event of a dispute. If you're worried about carrying a credit card balance you could always put most of the cash you planned to take on your credit card before you go. If you already carry a balance you'll save some interest on that until you actually charge your vacation expenses. And you're not running the risk of your cash being lost or stolen.

I always travel with credit cards. Just pay them off with your cash when you return. I carry a little cash just in case.

We always stay at the CBR, and yes they have wall safes, and yes we use them every time were there. I used my "keys to the world" card, which is none other then your room key which also has our tickets and charging capabilities built in. Before we leave, I go to the front desk and pay for all we charged. Most of the time, we carry very little cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter