Carsland Campout Trip 6/15-6/16 FINAL UPDATE 6/23

Hey Stephen, just got a chance to read thru your report. Great job. Glad there are youngsters like you who have the time and willingness and...well...you know...what it takes to stay the night in line. ;)

Thanks!

:wizard:

Hey Stephen, just got a chance to read thru your report. Great job. Glad there are youngsters like you who have the time and willingness and...well...you know...what it takes to stay the night in line. ;)

Thanks!

Ditto! This report is awesome!! Great pictures, and how fun that you got to do this. I once camped out overnight for the Rose Bowl parade back when I was a youngster, but I can imagine this was MUCH more fun!

Thank you!

LOVE your TR so far!!! I can not wait to go in November!!

Thanks! You are gonna have a blast! And hopefully the lines will have died down just a tad and it won't be as crazy.

Oh my word, I feel like I was right there with you!

Thank you so, so much for letting us relive this special day with you. I am very excited about our upcoming trip in October, and now after reading your report, I am even more excited!!!:cool1:

Looking forward to the next instalment re the Matterhorn ( and anything else you care to throw in will be just awesome!!! ):cheer2:

Great pics.......they really do tell a story!

Can't wait for morepopcorn::

Glad that my experience has gotten you so excited! It certainly was a special day, so why not share with everyone! I promise, Matterhorn update is coming right now!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by! :goodvibes

GREAT report!

At 11pm, DH and I debated if we should camp out or not. Our kids wanted to, but I just wasn't sure about it. It looks like it was a fun night, though. We waited until Saturday and it was much easier, especially with a 8 & 10 year old. ;)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Matterhorn. I have mine, but I'll wait to hear yours. :lmao:

popcorn::

I'm glad you got to experience it still! I would have never camped out with young kids, even if they wanted to do it, so I support that. I saw so many little little kids and I just can't help but think about how miserable that would be for both the kids and the parents...obviously depending on the kid but still. :scared1:

Awesome review! Thanks for the great story telling of your overnight experience... made me 'almost' wish I had been there, lol!

I cannot wait to get on RSR however... only a 11 month wait! Boooooo:confused3

Lori

Almost? :lmao: I am not a very patient person so 11 months sounds like it would be the longest 11 months ever, but once you get here it'll be so worth it. Plus, by then hopefully you won't have to deal with the insane 3+ hours lines and FPs running out in less than an hour! :eek: In that case, it's not such a bad thing to wait.

That was one of the best trip report ever!!:thumbsup2
Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

Thanks! I still have tons more pictures, especially for each of the 3 CL rides, so stick around. :cool1:

Thanks!

While there were a lot of college students/young people, overall it was a wide range of people camping out. And honestly the time went by a lot quicker than I thought. What's awesome is that you're just surrounded by other Disney fanatics who are just as nuts about DLR as you are! :banana: I know you're gonna enjoy your trip next month! :thumbsup2 I'm excited to hear your opinions on the new additions.

Ditto! This report is awesome!! Great pictures, and how fun that you got to do this. I once camped out overnight for the Rose Bowl parade back when I was a youngster, but I can imagine this was MUCH more fun!

Thank you!

I've been in Southern California for multiple New Years' but have never actually been to the Rose Parade. Is it something that you have to camp overnight for? I'm sure there are a lot of similarities...like making friends with random strangers. :upsidedow Glad you're enjoying this.

I can't wait to go!!! :yay::yay:
My boys are huge Cars fans and it will be their first trip to Disneyland.... they will be beside themselves for sure!

Next Update!

So by the time we got off RSR it was about 11. Luigi's line was about 3 hours and Mater's was 90 min. The main Route 66 was as packed as can be, so we decided to leave the area. We wanted to try the new Starbucks on BVS, but that line was incredibly long too.
2273146380101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

As we walked over to BVS we saw a glimpse of the News Boys on the Red Car Trolley. I think one of the biggest differences in DCA being a "new park" is the amount of entertainment. It's not the thing that everyone is asking questions about or writing reviews over, but I think hands down it adds the most to the new atmosphere of the park. This new show with the News Boys does just that.
2470852340101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2270469900101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

We were curious as to if there was anymore exclusive merchandise still left so we wandered over to Hollywoodland. When we got there there was a long line that looked like it was moving slowly and, although it would have been cool to grab a special pin or something, we decided to not buy anything. The transition between BVS and Hollywoodland is leaps and bounds better than Sunshine Plaza to Hollywood Pictures Backlot. They just flow right into each other. We also saw dozens of radio stations set up along the sidewalk, all reporting on opening day. :thumbsup2
2961851130101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

Each station had its own booth. It wasn't just local stations too. I definitely saw some Norcal ones and out-of-state as well.
2449795380101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

So with all of the long DCA lines, we decided to hop and see if things were a bit milder at DL. When we got in me and my friend grabbed lunch at the Jolly Holiday Bakery. I got the ham and cheese quiche with the side salad, which was good. A little small, but fine for lunch. We ate outside and noticed on the tip board that lines were pretty normal for a summer Friday at DL, but Matterhorn was posted at 90 min...:scared1:

My mom, who is also a Disney fanatic, decided only a couple days prior to fly down for the CL opening. Her flight landed in the morning and by the time we had finished lunch, she had gotten to the parks. The 3 of us were skeptical of the posted 90 min line so we went over there. The line was long but I don't think 90 min long. Still, we didn't want to wait so we rode through the new Single Rider line (which is not heavily advertised). We waited about 5 min! AND, me and my friend lucked out and got in the same car. Here's a pic of the new cars
2328792810101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

As for my review of the "new" Matterhorn:

The cars are not any more comfortable. I think a little bit of padding could have helped out a lot more, but oh well. There are no lap bars, just seat belts...I know that that was talked about here. The cars do seem to have more leg room than the previous bobsleds, which may encourage some of the taller Matterhorn fans. I'm glad that there's a SR line here. Gone are the days where a bobsled goes out with 1/2 of the capacity. I don't think I saw a single empty seat on both the Matterhorn and RSR thanks to the SR lines!

But what you're really wondering...is it still as rough of a ride? Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they did a whole lot to fix the bumpiness. I felt like it was a bit smoother in some parts, but overall it was still pretty jerky. Sorry :guilty: The noticeable changes from the refurb that I could tell were:
-The repainting of the mountain (lol duh)
-The new cars (again duh)
-The yeti screams louder now
-Maybe slightly smoother in certain parts?
-More efficient loading and new SR line

I'm sure they did other things like little touch ups here and there, and that that all adds to the experience, but I'm not gonna notice it as easily. :rolleyes:

After we got off we saw a couple of musicians on the mountain. Actually several times we saw climbers or people on the outside of the mountain. I think it's great that they brought this back...again it adds to the atmosphere.
2346905860101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

A pic with better perspective. The instruments had microphones and the music was being piped into the surrounding area on the groun.
2945389190101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

Glad to see the classic roller coaster back in operation.

Next up, more Carsland pics and a meet up with a fellow DISer! :goodvibes

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you were one of the first for the new opening!! We were at CL today and RSR was 210 minutes for standby. Yikes! We'll wait for shorter lines before we try it! ;) I could see the tape on the ground that showed the queues that went out to the wharf area - that is crazy long lines!

I agree with your observation that the park has a completely different feel to it. I miss the old entrance but the new one is not bad.

Thanks again for all the photos and for sharing your experience!

Awesome report... thanks for taking the time to do this. We are there in one week from today. Cannot wait. Well guess I have to, not much choice there. :)

Great report and photos!

23 more days for me.:banana:

22 now! It'll come soon enough.

I can't wait to go!!! :yay::yay:
My boys are huge Cars fans and it will be their first trip to Disneyland.... they will be beside themselves for sure!

They are going to love it! (i mean you will too) As much as I loved CL, it would be even cooler to see it with younger kids who are really into Cars. I really want to show it to my younger cousins who are OBSESSED with "the cars movie".

Great report! And I love the musicians on the Matterhorn.

I was just walking around by the bathrooms by Alice and I heard some weird random horn noise. I had no idea what it was or where it was coming from until like 20 min later when I looked up and saw the musicians playing up there! I was so confused because the noise was coming from the parade speakers and I was like, 'This doesn't sound like Soundsational??" :confused3 :rotfl:

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you were one of the first for the new opening!! We were at CL today and RSR was 210 minutes for standby. Yikes! We'll wait for shorter lines before we try it! ;) I could see the tape on the ground that showed the queues that went out to the wharf area - that is crazy long lines!

I agree with your observation that the park has a completely different feel to it. I miss the old entrance but the new one is not bad.

Thanks again for all the photos and for sharing your experience!

Did you check out the SR line? When I was there the SR line was about 45-60 min. I mean, still not ideal but way shorter than 210!

Awesome report... thanks for taking the time to do this. We are there in one week from today. Cannot wait. Well guess I have to, not much choice there. :)

I know that feeling. Me and my friend kept texting each other at different milestones a few weeks ago..."2 weeks until CL!", "10 days!!", "1 week!", "TOMORROW!" Hard to be patient. :upsidedow

Fantastic! Lucky you and now lucky us! Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you're enjoying and I'm definitely very happy I could share this experience with all of you guys! :thumbsup2

I love your trip report!

Thank you!!! :yay:

UPDATE!!!

So we got off Matterhorn and since my mom had just gotten there, we hopped back to DCA so she could finally see Carsland! :banana: We took the Omnibus to save our feet a little walking.
2989091610101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

I know I'm a creeper but I caught a great pic of Minnie and a little kid :laughing:
2466510520101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

We got back into DCA and BVS was still pretty crowded but nothing like the morning. Hey and we're starting to see a little blue sky finally.
2681223980101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

And then we got back to Carsland!
2691978620101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

We just walked around because the lines were way too long to ride anything, but my mom was loving the new area. We stopped to watch Luigi's, but the path from CL to A Bug's Land was wall to wall people. We wanted to go over to Paradise Pier via the road from Carsland, but since it was roped off to use it for extended RSR line, we had to walk all the way back down the street.

We passed the new Ghiradelli ice cream place and it looks great! There was a line out the door. I'm sure I'll try it on a future trip. Growing up in NorCal, I've been to the Ghiradelli place in SF multiple times, and the menu looked pretty much identical (but still very yummy!)
2786019930101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

I forgot to mention this earlier, but when we got our RSR FP the machine also spat out a "Surprise FP" for Screamin. Most likely a way to get people out of the CL area and distribute crowds. The surprise FP was for up to 6 people. I wish I had taken a pic of it. Sorry. Well the 3 of us went to go use it and we rode Screamin with like a 10 min wait.
2840373700101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

I love this pic I took while on Screamin! :scared1:
2469515880101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

Then our on-ride pic. Me and my friend in the back with my mom and a SR in the front. For the record, my friend is doing the "Fight on" sign but the random single rider in the front may just be doing the peace sign. :rotfl:
2332921170101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

We got off Screamin and went to go wait out the normal long TSMM line. Like a normal busy day TSMM's line was a solid 50 min, so we grabbed some popcorn and ice cream and hopped in line!
2958897250101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

While in line we met up with Flynn_Rider from the DIS. It was fun meeting him and sharing our Carsland/camping out stories. He said he also had lunch at Carthay with Mary Jo. I think this was the first time that I've met someone from the DIS? Anyway, he was enjoying his solo weekend trip and it made for a nice round 4 people to ride TSMM. :3dglasses

That's it for now. Next update will have Mater's Junkyard Jamboree review!

Great trip report! Thanks for the great pics and for getting it up so soon!!!:cool1:

Thanks! Also when you're stuck working on campus all day with not very much to do, what better thing to do to kill time other than relive the awesomeness of this past weekend? :laughing:

UPDATE!

After our TSMM ride, Flynn_Rider was going back to his hotel and my friend had to head out to one of her friend's birthday parties. So it was just me and my mom for the rest of the trip. :hug:

We went over to Ariel's Undersea Adventure because we know that it never has a long line. The sign advertised a 20 min line...it was about 10. Also this was my first time on the ride since they updated Ariel's "Dole whip" hair. She looks much better! :thumbsup2
2089932860101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

Then we were about to head back to Worldmark Anaheim to take a nap (I was SO tired!), but on our way out we stopped by Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and at that point it only had a 40 min wait, so we decided to just jump in. The line moves pretty slowly, but you get to watch the ride in line. Here are some pics of the queue. If the line stretches out to the entrance, it's 40 min...anything out of the entrance is going to be longer.
2771782850101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2413113660101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

The "junk" in the line is really good theming.
2645449320101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2624864750101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

All of the line is open air, but the trees in the beginning and this little shack provide some shade.
2086724090101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

As for the ride, it was fun but I didn't think it was anything special. I do love the music and the songs that Larry the Cable Guy sings as Mater. I think it's my least favorite of the 3 Carsland rides, but it still has its moments. The whipping motion is fun if you like the person that you're riding with! :crowded:

I got lots of pics of random people on the ride!
2672508770101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2729658190101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2003964480101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2028796130101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2959671610101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2489818800101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2604413450101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

2440137300101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

On a side note, these Luigi's hats are hilarious and very popular!
2139371400101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

Then we really did want to leave for a little rest, but I wanted to walk down CL again. We walked down the road and took the path from CL to A Bug's Land and over to ToT. I wanted to take the Red Car Trolley from back there to the entrance.
2413492350101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

We waited for 20-30 minutes (even saw the Trolley go by us with the News Boys)...and THEN they told us that the Trolley rides would be temporarily suspended for the parade.

This was slightly upsetting. They should have warned us and everyone else who was waiting that it was almost parade time and so the RCT would be stopping for a bit. I know what time the parade is, but I wasn't thinking at the time. I think it's just courtesy to inform people before they get in line that it's not like the trolley will just show up and you can board. :confused3

So then we walked to the entrance. We stopped by Guest Relations and explained the situation. The lady kept saying that it was our fault for not knowing the parade route and knowing the parade time. I mean, I'm a Disney fanatic and I was frustrated...I can't imagine how a regular guest would respond. I don't think it's intuitive for regular guests to know that the trolley stops 20 min prior to parade time, especially when no Trolley CM says so until they actually close the ride.

Rant over. The lady at Guest Relations gave us 2 attraction readmit passes (TSMM and Indy because they couldn't be used for CL) to make up for our wasted time. Can't complain about that. But overall the situation could have been handled differently. I give them grace for it being the first day. Hopefully they've figured out little things like this.

So we left for a quick break and later we returned to the parks...

Next up is Flo's and nighttime Carsland pics!!! :yay:

Hmm...can't blame you for the rant! I would have done the exact same thing. How would one know that the trolley was not running? I wonder if they will decide to post something about parade times.:confused3

Joining in. Glad you enjoyed RSR even with the 2.5 hour wait. That stamped newspaper is an awesome souvenir. I'd frame it. MJJ looks kind of boring to me as well, but I want to ride it anyway. Nice that you got to ride the new Matterhorn with a 5 minute wait. Too bad the changes were not better. You've had an awesome time so far other than the trolley incident. Good thing you got those passes though. Cannot wait to read more about the rest of your day. I know you probably enjoyed that nap after your very long day thus far.

Whew! ITA with your review on the "new and not-so-improved" Matterhorn bobsleds. For me, they felt even more rickety and the new angle of the seat makes you sit much lower and almost on your lower back. I did sit in the last seat, so I wonder if it the other seats feel the same. :confused3

Hmm...can't blame you for the rant! I would have done the exact same thing. How would one know that the trolley was not running? I wonder if they will decide to post something about parade times.:confused3

I think just a simple sign by the Trolley boarding areas or having the CMs warn guests just getting in line would work wonders. I'll be back and we'll see if anything has changed. :upsidedow

Joining in. Glad you enjoyed RSR even with the 2.5 hour wait. That stamped newspaper is an awesome souvenir. I'd frame it. MJJ looks kind of boring to me as well, but I want to ride it anyway. Nice that you got to ride the new Matterhorn with a 5 minute wait. Too bad the changes were not better. You've had an awesome time so far other than the trolley incident. Good thing you got those passes though. Cannot wait to read more about the rest of your day. I know you probably enjoyed that nap after your very long day thus far.

I love the newspaper! I wonder how long they're going to be printing them too...And believe me, that nap was exactly what I needed! :faint:

Whew! ITA with your review on the "new and not-so-improved" Matterhorn bobsleds. For me, they felt even more rickety and the new angle of the seat makes you sit much lower and almost on your lower back. I did sit in the last seat, so I wonder if it the other seats feel the same. :confused3

Maybe I felt like I had more room because I sat in the front of my bobsled. I'll be interested in seeing how the other seats feel also. I just wish how difficult it would have been to put a little padding there? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter