Carrying an EpiPen around in the heat

disneyworldfamily

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I know that EpiPens are not to be placed in extreme hot or cold temperatures but we are headed down in a couple weeks and Orlando + August = HOT

So, what is the best way to carry an EpiPen with us while in the parks? How do we keep it cool? What do you do?

Thanks!

I don't do anything. My allergist told me not to keep them in anything cool (like the frio) because they can gettoo cold which is harmful as well. I just stick them in my park bag and they are fine....even in August. They are not in direct sunlight and you are in and out of the air conditioning so they will be fine.

I don't do anything. My allergist told me not to keep them in anything cool (like the frio) because they can gettoo cold which is harmful as well. I just stick them in my park bag and they are fine....even in August. They are not in direct sunlight and you are in and out of the air conditioning so they will be fine.

Thank you very much!

The Frio is designed to keep things at room temp. At least our experience with it, the insulin pens we carried in it were never cold or chilled, but always at room temp. I know without it, the pen got warm, even though it was never in direct sunlight.

Same here!

The Frio is designed to keep things at room temp. At least our experience with it, the insulin pens we carried in it were never cold or chilled, but always at room temp. I know without it, the pen got warm, even though it was never in direct sunlight.
I think most people are not aware of that and doctors who might say not to use them are probably not aware that they are different than using an ice pack.
Ice packs or things with cold packs in them can a lot of variation in temperature and can even freeze small items.

Frio pacs are designed to keep things at room comfortable room temperature, not colder.

If you are going when the weather is expected to be under 86 degrees, you might be just fine. Before going to Orlando when the weather is expected to be well over 90 for several days in a row, I would check with the manufacturer or a Pharmacist (not the Pharmacy Tech) because they know the most about medication and optimal storage conditions. If you talk to anyone about the Frio pacs, make sure they understand they are not the same as cold/ice packs.

I live in New Mexico, the land of 120 degree summers and we do actually get decent humidity. This past year with daily weather checks for my long term plans of moving to Florida we consistently had higher humidity AND heat which was way weird to me. I keep my epipens in my gear bag full of other medicine, and in the shade. I have only had epipens spoil from direct sun exposure in my lifetime in the Land of Entrapment. While cooler is better there is room for error. One side note, if you are truly worried get a fresh set just before your trip. Any yellowing that occurs means spoilage as you likely already know, and newer pens tend to have greater room to survive temperature changes. Better safe than sorry but I must ask the definition of Room temperature as where I live? That can be 120 degrees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter