Carry-on luggage question

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
DH and I are going on vacation in 8 weeks:cool1: OMG I can't wait:banana: Anyway, we are going to try to do carry-on only packing. So we will each have a small pull behind, I will have my purse and DH will have a backpack.

Can we have a baggie of liquids for the backpack and 2 pull behinds?

Is toothpaste and cortizone creme considered liquid?

We've never done this and I'm really hoping we can make it work. We have 2 lay overs and I would hate for my luggage to get lost in a foreign country.

DH and I are going on vacation in 8 weeks:cool1: OMG I can't wait:banana: Anyway, we are going to try to do carry-on only packing. So we will each have a small pull behind, I will have my purse and DH will have a backpack.

Can we have a baggie of liquids for the backpack and 2 pull behinds?

Is toothpaste and cortizone creme considered liquid?

We've never done this and I'm really hoping we can make it work. We have 2 lay overs and I would hate for my luggage to get lost in a foreign country.

It's one baggie per person not per carry on item. And, yes, toothpaste and creme are considered liquids.

Where are you going? I'm asking because some airlines in other countries have different rules. Be sure to check or you could get a surprise when you're coming home.

Dang it, that's what I thought!

We are going to Mexico (Cancun) and I am terrified of not having enough sunscreen. I got those little travel ones. I have 3 packed already but I am EXTREMELY white and my skin only knows how to burn:scared1:

I'd rather not have to buy anything down there.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out!

Here is what I have so far:
3 sunscreens
aloe vera
toothpaste
lotion
cortizone creme (I needed it last time and didn't have it and had to buy it)
hand sanitizer
bug spray
bug bite reliever
some mail samples of shampoo/conditioner
nose spray

Am I missing anything?

Dang it, that's what I thought!

We are going to Mexico (Cancun) and I am terrified of not having enough sunscreen. I got those little travel ones. I have 3 packed already but I am EXTREMELY white and my skin only knows how to burn:scared1:

I'd rather not have to buy anything down there.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out!

Here is what I have so far:
3 sunscreens
aloe vera
toothpaste
lotion
cortizone creme (I needed it last time and didn't have it and had to buy it)
hand sanitizer
bug spray
bug bite reliever
some mail samples of shampoo/conditioner
nose spray

Am I missing anything?

hair spray or hair gel type stuff? Shaving cream? Deoderant? (I guess only a gel would need to be in there right?) Any liquid makeup (foundation)

I don't think I could do carry on only...I use way too many liquid toiletries to fit it all in a quart size baggie lol!

I don't really wear make up when we go to Mexico, it's just too darn hot. I sweat it all off. Yet, I still insist on bringing it:confused: I am bringing mineral powder.

I do have a little thing of hair spray in there. I forgot about that.

Shoot, I also need my face moisturizer.

Ok, here's another question. Normally I would put my razor in my checked luggage but if we aren't checking it, can I bring a razon on board a plane? I can not have hairy area's on a beach!

Maybe this isn't going to work. But I really want it to!

I don't really wear make up when we go to Mexico, it's just too darn hot. I sweat it all off. Yet, I still insist on bringing it:confused: I am bringing mineral powder.

I do have a little thing of hair spray in there. I forgot about that.

Shoot, I also need my face moisturizer.

Ok, here's another question. Normally I would put my razor in my checked luggage but if we aren't checking it, can I bring a razon on board a plane? I can not have hairy area's on a beach!

Maybe this isn't going to work. But I really want it to!

hahaha...I do the same thing with makeup...we usually travel to WDW in August and I do bring makeup even though I have sweated it all off within and hour of going outside:laughing:

I'm pretty sure a razor would be okay in a carry on....I know DH has done carry on only for some business trips and he uses a regular razor (not electric)

Look into Fedex. I did this last time we travelled. I packed up all my "liquids" in a Fedex box and had them shipped to our hotel. I can't remember how much it was, but it was worth it! Worked out great.

Safety razors are fine.

What about:

- Face wash. I don't use soap on my face.
- Moisturizer (the sun will dry your skin out)
- Mascara (even if I don't put on foundation, I do still use my mascara and that has to go in the baggie)
-Shave gel/shaving cream

I would consider checking one bag. Not sure if three sample sizes of sunscreen would be enough. In Mexico you will need to reapply often. And I use lots of conditioner as the sun and chlorine really dries out my hair so I always bring a big bottle on vacation.

I hope you have a great time!

Remember if you are doing carry on only, ALL your liquids have to fit in one ziploc baggie per person. And each item in the bag has to be less than 4 ounces each.

Yep, your razor is okay, and your deoderant doesn't have to be in the bag if it's a solid stick type.

You'd be surprised how much you can fit in a quart zip loc! You get one each, but you don't have to make them his and hers; you can just fill them with whatever stuff you have.

I think you can fit even more sunscreen in, with the list you gave. Get out your stuff and your bags and try it out! :)

Remember if you are doing carry on only, ALL your liquids have to fit in one ziploc baggie per person. And each item in the bag has to be less than 4 ounces each.

It's 3 ounces or less in 1 quart size baggie for the US. As a pp said, you will need to check the other countries you are visiting as they may have different rules.

Some travel size items are more than 3 ounces, so beware! They will even say air travel approved or something, but check out the TSA.gov website for the official info.

It's 3 ounces or less in 1 quart size baggie for the US. As a pp said, you will need to check the other countries you are visiting as they may have different rules.

Some travel size items are more than 3 ounces, so beware! They will even say air travel approved or something, but check out the TSA.gov website for the official info.

Neither are right...it's 3.4 Ounces or less (or 100 ml - thus the odd Ounces)...

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

be sure the sunscreen you got will be allowed. It has to be biodegradable, I believe. I don't know if all sunscreen is.

Yea, the TSA cannot keep their story straight. On the signs in the airport is says 3 ounces or less. And so does the graphic at the top of the web page.

3-1-1 is "catchier' than 3.4-1-1 :thumbsup2

But yes, to match the rest of world (where the metric system is used*), it is actually 3.4oz (or, as stated, 100mL).

I'm confused about the biodegradable sunscreen rule? I've never heard of it.

*Slight hyperbole - there are two other countries that are officially non-metric.

3-1-1 is "catchier' than 3.4-1-1 :thumbsup2

But yes, to match the rest of world (where the metric system is used*), it is actually 3.4oz (or, as stated, 100mL).

I'm confused about the biodegradable sunscreen rule? I've never heard of it.

*Slight hyperbole - there are two other countries that are officially non-metric.

A lot of the ecological parks and tours state it is either required or highly recommended to use biodegradable as it is safer for the wildlife. Seems to be more of a help protect nature type thing than a standard rule.

OP=may I ask? Are you going to go swimming / snorkeling while there? I always wear a light colored or white t shirt over my bathing suit to protect my back, neck and shoulders. It isn't fun to try to be going to sleep or wake up with sunburnt shoulders and back.

Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too second the at least 1 checked bag for your liquids or send it via carrier to hotel in advance.

I'm thinking the cost of shipping the suncreen would be more than simply buying one there. I'd take what I had and buy more if it's needed. If you ship a huge bottle down there and then don't use it all, you have to throw the rest out or ship it home again.

Drug stores sell empty travel sized bottles so you can get the maximun amount of liquids in your baggie. You could fill a few of those with sunscreen too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter