Carry on cooler question

anitame

Mouseketeer
We're planning on taking a soft-sided cooler filled with beverages as a carry-on. It's the kind on a luggage rack so it can be rolled on. I called Disney to confirm this would be ok and didn't really get a straight answer. Has anyone used one of these as a carry on?
TIA!!

With the travel documents I received with my cruise is a booklet called
"Passport to Disney Wonder" on page 8 under
"What not to pack"
it says "Coolers are not permitted except if needed for medications, baby food, or items related to dietary constraints. Coolers containing personal items (e.g. soda, or snacks) may NOT be brought onboard. Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers will not be allowed to be brought on board.

Just letting you know what the official policy states.

I have not been yet but from everything I have read, roll it on. This was one of the first questions I posted since this was important to my DH. :goodvibes

Everyone that responded said it was fine and they had soft-sided, rolling cooler.

Since coolers are not acceptable can you recommend something I can bring on the cruise that i can pack for the kids when we go on our excursions.
For one of my excursions I want to Relax on the beach in a lounge chair and not have to constantly get up to get the kids some juice or food :) I rather have a cooler to put sandwiches and juice and keep it next to me while I'm chillin :)

JayCee32 said:
Since coolers are not acceptable can you recommend something I can bring on the cruise that i can pack for the kids when we go on our excursions.
For one of my excursions I want to Relax on the beach in a lounge chair and not have to constantly get up to get the kids some juice or food :) I rather have a cooler to put sandwiches and juice and keep it next to me while I'm chillin :)

get a soft-sided collapsible cooler and pack in your luggage. I did this for our cruises and it works great for your days on the beach. :) Don't forget to get room service sandwiches sent up the night before and bring some ziploc bags to keep everything separate in the cooler.

Like NYDisneyMom suggested the collapsable cooler is the easiest solution. This time of year you should be able to find a huge selection at your favorite store. We got ours at Target & they probably had 25 different styles to pick from. We chose one that would easily fit into a piece of luggage if you smashed it down...

I have a soft-sided collapsable cooler. We just want to put some beer in it and roll it on. When I called Disney said it would probably be acceptable if it was filled with swimsuits and stuff, but maybe not as a carry-on cooler. I'm just wondering what others have done. Anyone else carried beer on? Come on, fess up! ;)

The rule quoted above was also in our documents for our November 2004 cruise. However, it has been repeated on this board several times that you can bring soft-sided rolling coolers on board with you. For whatever reason, you cannot have ice in the cooler. So, we went for it. I bought a new rolling soft-sided cooler on disney direct, and filled it with beer and bottled water. I had to open it for security coming in to the terminal, and it had to go through the x-ray. All of the security personell saw exactly what was in there, and no questions were asked. I think that their policy has not changed. It is just poorly worded. You can bring a soft-sided cooler, as long as you don't have ice in it. Once you get to the cabin, your steward can take care of the ice. Forget about the in room coolers, they are worthless.

I filled our soft rolling cooler with sodas and wheeled them right on.

The security people work for the port and they dont care about nor enforce Disney policy.

Here is what mine looks like:

mm_cooler.jpg

Billinaz said:

The security people work for the port and they dont care about nor enforce Disney policy.

mm_cooler.jpg

Ooohhh...I like that!

We had beer and were told that as long as it was "hidden" they had no problems with it. I think that roll on cooler is so cute! It looks just like a piece of luggage. Where did you get it?

I plan on bringing aboard our rolling cooler, from what I've read on the Boards it should be no problem. My cooler rolls, carried as a bag or worn as a backpack. Sooo... if they don't let me roll it on I'll "transform it " into a backpack.

:banana: Nine Days And A Wakeup :banana:

We are doing the land/sea package and the land part comes first. It sounds like there shouldn't be a problem getting on the ship with our soft-sided cooler which will be packed with items for the 16 month old baby and the 3 yr. old. We'll be comming from CBR.

Will there be a problem checking into CBR with a soft-sided cooler?

We thought while waiting in line to get into the parks in the morning, we would have yogart, cereal bars, and juice boxes packed for the 7 of us. The cooler would be on the stroller the rest of the day with more juice boxes and kid type snacks in it.

Will this meet with Disney's approval?

Thanks for your help!

No, you will have no trouble at the resorts at all. People check in with grocery bags, coolers, etc. I have also seen people taking small coolers to the parks as well - not sure what their official rules are on this, but with the things you listed you should have no trouble at all. Be careful of the seagulls though - if you pack food in your bags, keep them zipped up when unattended. I have heard that they rummage around looking for goodies in bags left in/on the strollers. :sad2:

Billinaz said:

mm_cooler.jpg

Where did you get this cooler - it is so cool :goodvibes

Another thought is to call Shirley at The Perfect Gift and have her deliver your drinks to your stateroom. So much easier that having to lug that extra weight! That's what we're doing for our May 8 cruise. :goodvibes And she is sooo nice! :angel:

Jen :shamrock:

I forgot that part - if you roll it on, it stays with you until they open up the staterooms. This could be a hassle if you get on the ship early.

mm_cooler.jpg

This is the same cooler I bought as a carry-on! I got it from Disneydirect.com

I hate to say this but as of last week that cooler isn't on disneydirect.com anymore. I searched the site last week and couldn't find it. I asked about it here on the boards and several other people said that it wasn't on there anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter