carrier for newborn at wdw?

Have you used the ergo with the insert? Is it easier than it looks? My husband will be wearing baby too so I want something we can wear all day that he can figure out too.

Personally, I found the insert hard to use and hot. If both of you will be wearing baby, I highly recommend a mei tai. Just make sure you wear it high on you so baby is still Visible & Kissable.

Used a Beco Gemini when my DD was 9 mos. have a Tula now and love it. Beco worked great for our trip, but if I was doing it again, I would buy a Tula and skip the Beco. GL

I didn't take my babies to the park quite that young, but I did have a ring sling with DD and LOVED IT. If I were to visit there with a baby now, that's what I'd bring. Super easy to get on and off and to adjust to support baby JUST RIGHT. :-) The one I had was zolowear. I loved it because it had a zippered pocket on the "tail." It was big enough for my keys and wallet when running in to a store so I had no need to take a purse in.

Ergo was awesome for holding up my DD's head and she slept soundly in it.

I tried a ton of them at a store (which I highly recommend you do because some are hard to get on and off and you'll probably want to switch off between you and your partner. It can be tricky.) and even bought/were given a few others, but the ergo the one that worked best for us and my kiddo preferred it.

A stroller is also a really good idea too because on average at Disney, we walked 15 miles a day. Before my kiddo was born, I walked our dog easily ten miles a day (or more) but Disney walking is different and that's a lot to carry a baby and supplies for the baby all day when you're still recovering from giving birth. I had an emergency c-section with complications and was not allowed to carry my kiddo that many hours or do that much walking until she was 3 months old. HTH!

Have you used the ergo with the insert? Is it easier than it looks? My husband will be wearing baby too so I want something we can wear all day that he can figure out too.

I haven't personally used it yet. I have friends who have great success with it, and one who was not so happy with it!:confused3 I am due in November and will try it out but it seems so much of this is personal and depends on the parent and babies comfort and what works for them!

I was contemplating this exact issue. I have an Ergo I've used since DD was born, but I didn't want to deal inserts and such on our trip. I did some research and came up with the Kinderpack. The infant size can be cinched in the seat to allow even a very young baby to ride legs out in a proper seated position. It is also super comfortable! They are a little tough to come by right now as they are made in the US by a small mom-owned company, and demand has outstripped supply. They also hold their value extremely well, with used ones often going for more than retail. I think they're worth it though.

Ha! I should sell mine.

I've taken my two girls to Disney starting at 2 months with my oldest. My favorite is a woven baby wrap. I started with a Moby but quickly realized that it wasn't a good choice because of how stretchy it is. I loved the different holds though. I went to Joann's and bought 5 yards of gauze, cut it the long way down the rectangle and had 2, 5 yard long wraps. The gauze is very strong, so no sagging baby but it's also very light weight and breathable. I did find a tutorial online. It was less than $25 for the fabric. Then I just followed the Moby wrapping guides.

blogger-image--261117508.jpg

Happy baby in the wrap.

blogger-image--354346334.jpg

Sleepy baby in wrap.

I just love the versatility and how snugly they're held against you.

Mesh ring sling! One made for water. Definitely the coolest option.

I'd also have an ergo type carrier for longer days. I could only do the ring sling for so long before having to switch to an ergo. I also had the insert but never used it.

I do not like the Bjorn for older babies because of the "crotch dangling", but it was perfect for my little guy at 9 weeks old on our trip to Disney. The Moby was too hot, the Ergo was not supportive enough and his little legs were spread too far. I love my Ergo now, but at that age the Bjorn was perfect for us. He rode all the rides in it and slept in it during all our meals!

b4vs4w.jpg

I went ahead and pulled this picture from my trip report so you can see how he was positioned in the carrier. It was also nice and cool for both of us!

I loved my Hug-a-bub, it's a stretchy wrap but so comfortable to wear, with so many different positions.

My hubby and I have been practicing on our new little guy with the Ergo Performance with insert (Sawyer is only 2 weeks old now...trip to Disney is at 9 weeks old so not sure if he'll be out of the insert by then). We both find it super comfy and easy to use, and it only takes seconds to swap from one person to the other. We walked around the city when he was 6 days old and it was a bit sweaty (and we live in Nova Scotia - not Florida), but bearable.

I also have a Mei tai, which I've yet to master. It feels a bit big for him for now...but it could just be that I haven't gotten him tied into it well enough yet.

We plan to use both at Disney, and are debating skipping a stroller altogether...although we might rent a CityMini just in case.

I'm a fan of the sash mei tai. It's cozy like a wrap bit cuts out a lot of the length, thereby reducing the amount of fabric around you. It's easy to wrap and also inexpensive.

I like my babyhawk (a mei tei). DS is 9 weeks right now and DH and I wear it whenever we do outdoor activities with our 2 older girls. DS will be 4 months when we go to WDW and I am considering getting a Beachfront Baby wrap so I can wear him in the pool.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have a moby but it seems cumbersome and too hard for disney. Also my first has been in the 10% so I might need an insert if this one is small too. I've seen the ring slings but they are even more confusing at to which one I would want since there are so many varieties! I sort of like something like the beco, tula, or ergo because if we wanted we could use it for awhile but some seem very hard to adjust little ones in the videos I've seen. There are just so many out there is hard to know what to do!
I had my newborns in the K'tan and Sakura Bloom pixie ring sling, before graduating them to the Boba. Honestly, the Boba was the easiest of them to use at WDW. Love taking the babies to Disney, they're so easy at this age.

We used a ring sling. We had a baby at the park as young as 2 months old. But all three of my kids used ring slings from the start - and until they stopped using carriers. I tried a Snugglie with my first two kids and it was awful. It was so hard to get them in that I never actually carried them in it once. (And I later learned that Snugglies aren't great for babies due to the position it puts them in). I loved having an unpadded ring sling- as it let me adjust it quite a bit. I would open it up and drape it over the stroller when one baby, at 8 months old, wanted to sleep in the stroller. You can also make a ring sling for under $10. And they're so easy to throw in a backpack. (I had both an unpadded Maya and a homemade one).

We had a 3 year old on every trip too - so with the exception of the 8 month old napping in the stroller, our babies were in the sling all day long. (Trip with a 2 month old and later an 11 month old had even naps in the sling). It was not a big deal to carry baby. I gained weight while pregnant so I was strong enough to carry baby as I was losing weight. I was out of shape when I had the 2 month old in Disney - I had a C-section so I wasn't back into my normal exercise routine - plus I gained 73 lbs that pregnancy, but it still wasn't a big deal to do Disney carrying a baby the entire day. (The 2.5 year old was a challenge, as I wasn't used to it and 2.5 year old is totally different from a baby!)

I used the Bjorn for newborns, and then once they had good head control, switched over to the Ergo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter