• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carrie Fisher to reprise her role as Princess Leia in Star Wars VII

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
I just saw on the ABC national news the Carrie Fisher has confirmed that she will return as Princess Leia in Star Wars Episode VII.

Opps, sorry. I am reading on several blogs that she is retracting her comment and is saying she was joking, she hopes she will be reprising her role as the princess.

From GMA:

Actress Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia Organa in the original trilogy, said she would reprise her role in the next "Star Wars" movie due to come out in 2015. But Fisher's representative later clarified that the actress was only joking, and nothing had been announced yet.

Fisher, in an interview with PalmBeachIllustrated.com, said she will be in "Star Wars: Episode VII," which will be directed by J.J. Abrams.

"Yes," she said when asked if she can "confirm whether you'll reprise the role of Princess Leia."

Queried on what she thought Princess Leia would be like today, she said, "Elderly. She’s in an intergalactic old folks’ home," and laughed.

"I just think she would be just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle," she added.

Just joking

Fisher's representative later told CNN that the actress was only joking. "Nothing has been announced," the representative said.

Fisher also told Palm Beach Illustrated.com that she is planning to write another book and "working somewhat on a musical."

A separate article noted Harrison Ford, who also starred in the original sequel, has been rumored to appear in the 2015 film and may reprise his role as Han Solo.

The same story was leaked about harrison ford two weeks ago...

While none of them will come out and officially, emphatically state they are going to be in the next movie...
there is every indication that they all will in a limited capacity. no denials...jokes...the director has been evasive on it.

It's gonna happen...for two very direct reasons...

1. first and foremost - what the last bunch of crappy, overmerchandised movies did was alienate what was a multi-billion member loyal fanbase of the original phenomena (typist included). That is an EASY get and one that Disney was obviously thinking of when they bought out lucas. classic fans always would have prefered the sequels to the prequels...but lucas promised us that the real good stuff was before. He pooched it. bad acting, worse writing, and stories that just weren't developed/ make sense. Bad job, georgie boy. so the sequels have a tremendous opportunity to recharge the brand. just like the prequels had an opportunity to recharge star trek once the sequels got bad and tired.
No brainer to tie as much of the old into the new as possible while putting new characters into play.

2. Second, credibility. Disney wants to be the "champion of star wars" to the public. not the "exploiter of cheap chinese merchandise" that they want to be behind closed doors like they do with their own characters.
So to keep the gravy train rolling...they need to put up the front of wanting to heal the wounds and knock this out of the park for decades of good will. again, i think that using the classic characters helps support their case. And they haven't made a wrong move so far...talented writers, high profile director, right producer...
certainly they know that they are dealing with something delicate here - so far they have acted as such.

Just as an update...

Lucas told Bloomberg yesterday that "we were in the final stages of signing, Mark, Harrison, and Carrie before the sale went through...Wait, maybe i wasn't supposed to say that - i think they want to announce it with some kind of big Whoop De Doo"

Well there you have it...not only was this movie being worked on for awhile before Big Shot Bobby made the announcement as part of the lucas buy out...but lucas knows exactly why he was bought: dig up old memories to make new money

"whoop de doo"...now who does that sound like?

WOW. I hadn't heard about this yet. Not sure what I really think. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I just saw on the ABC national news the Carrie Fisher has confirmed that she will return as Princess Leia in Star Wars Episode VII.
~I think it's great, but she should be Queen by now! Also, I wonder how JJ Abrams feels about this? It just doesn't seem like his style to bring back old characters -- I can't imagine anything more than a cameo appearance. We'll see. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter