• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carousel of Progress Show questions

DisneySteamTrainFan1996

Earning My Ears
I'll admit I've been in love with Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress since I was a kid. Now that I've grown older, I find some things that stand out to me more than the others. For intance, the curtains in the unload theater, do they ever close? or are they always open? And what about that VR game in act IV? Who did that as that looks pretty incredible and is it a real game? Was it Nintendo who did that? Sega? Or did disney do those graphics themselves? and is it broadcast to the TV with a DVD/bluray player? or is it a live feed from a media server? and what about that panel on the left hand side wall in every theater? What is that for? are those auxiallary controls? Status lights? Maintenance? And WHO re-composed the wonderful varaitions for each scene like thebanjo for the Loading Theater and first act and then the synth driven variations in act 4 and the unload theater (I love that version! Wish someone could send me some audio of the whole thing from start to finish because all the soundtracks from the ride have it from "man has a dream" and then some on ride videos have it from "Is just a dream awaaaaayyyyy!")? Whoever did so deserves a medal and some big recognition because of how catchy they all are (mainly the last 2 though, the others not so much lol :P). and what about the music that plays during loading, unloading, the intro, and the conclusion? Who composed those pieces (not the song itself, i know that was the sherman brothers)? and what orchestra performed it? Is there a sheet music of those pieces available (not that i'd play them or anything, but just curious! And how about that incredible voice cast? WHO decided on that? I mean Jean shepherd (R.I.P.), BJ Ward, Janet waldo (R.I.P. as of recently :guilty:), basically an allstar cast (It's funny that walt had hired Mel Blanc because since he did looney tunes, he was in someway the competition lol, but he's still incredible)! And that script? It's fit for the comedian of the house, mr Shepherd (I especially love the "ain't she a knock out? she's the star of the worl'ds fair in st. louis and *ahem* now you put that away before your mother finds it!" it's like he doesn't want sarah to know that he's possibly oogling another girl LOL JK :tongue:)! Who wrote that script? He/she is a comedic genius! And what about the motor underneath the theaters? Is that the same make and model as the one from the world's fair and or disneyland carousel building? and that oven, is that a real one that was modified for the show (i.e. the display would change to 375 degrees when the father told it to do so) or was that something disney made themselves?

I DO know though (at least i think so) that the dog's breed is a schnauzer (or a saint bernard and schnauzer mix:dog:) and that the tv was updated in '09 or '10 to match the current technology as well as the ballet/boxing scene is run from a projector to the tv, the animatronic father does move during the black out, the light show was changed in '13 (i think) to have the lights change color (now it's multi color) on the curtain insead of the blue lights that went on and of around it (still happens, just not on the center) and that the logo's light show is now all different colors instead of the growing blue light and occasional solid green light over the red spotlight (hard to describe it visually, it's something you have to see to understand), the vacuum in act II has an ad of it for sale on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-antiq...LIANCE-Art-Deco-Junior-Model-AD-/321839734880), and a few other things. I do appologize for the long post, I just thought it would be nice to share my thoughts for once and see if people could answer them. Now rember, There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away:rolleyes1.

I don't think that I can answer any of your questions, unfortunately. However, you can listen to the current ride soundtrack, the whole thing including dialog and music, or the original one from Disneyland on Subsonic Radio. They had an iOS app and a website, subsonicradio.com. They take requests, and you can hear it that way. You might also be able to get it from disneychris.com. Michael Bowling has an interesting Disneyland podcast discussing the history of COP.

I'll admit I've been in love with Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress since I was a kid. Now that I've grown older, I find some things that stand out to me more than the others. For intance, the curtains in the unload theater, do they ever close? or are they always open? And what about that VR game in act IV? Who did that as that looks pretty incredible and is it a real game? Was it Nintendo who did that? Sega? Or did disney do those graphics themselves? and is it broadcast to the TV with a DVD/bluray player? or is it a live feed from a media server? and what about that panel on the left hand side wall in every theater? What is that for? are those auxiallary controls? Status lights? Maintenance? And WHO re-composed the wonderful varaitions for each scene like thebanjo for the Loading Theater and first act and then the synth driven variations in act 4 and the unload theater (I love that version! Wish someone could send me some audio of the whole thing from start to finish because all the soundtracks from the ride have it from "man has a dream" and then some on ride videos have it from "Is just a dream awaaaaayyyyy!")? Whoever did so deserves a medal and some big recognition because of how catchy they all are (mainly the last 2 though, the others not so much lol :P). and what about the music that plays during loading, unloading, the intro, and the conclusion? Who composed those pieces (not the song itself, i know that was the sherman brothers)? and what orchestra performed it? Is there a sheet music of those pieces available (not that i'd play them or anything, but just curious! And how about that incredible voice cast? WHO decided on that? I mean Jean shepherd (R.I.P.), BJ Ward, Janet waldo (R.I.P. as of recently :guilty:), basically an allstar cast (It's funny that walt had hired Mel Blanc because since he did looney tunes, he was in someway the competition lol, but he's still incredible)! And that script? It's fit for the comedian of the house, mr Shepherd (I especially love the "ain't she a knock out? she's the star of the worl'ds fair in st. louis and *ahem* now you put that away before your mother finds it!" it's like he doesn't want sarah to know that he's possibly oogling another girl LOL JK :tongue:)! Who wrote that script? He/she is a comedic genius! And what about the motor underneath the theaters? Is that the same make and model as the one from the world's fair and or disneyland carousel building? and that oven, is that a real one that was modified for the show (i.e. the display would change to 375 degrees when the father told it to do so) or was that something disney made themselves?

I DO know though (at least i think so) that the dog's breed is a schnauzer (or a saint bernard and schnauzer mix:dog:) and that the tv was updated in '09 or '10 to match the current technology as well as the ballet/boxing scene is run from a projector to the tv, the animatronic father does move during the black out, the light show was changed in '13 (i think) to have the lights change color (now it's multi color) on the curtain insead of the blue lights that went on and of around it (still happens, just not on the center) and that the logo's light show is now all different colors instead of the growing blue light and occasional solid green light over the red spotlight (hard to describe it visually, it's something you have to see to understand), the vacuum in act II has an ad of it for sale on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-antiq...LIANCE-Art-Deco-Junior-Model-AD-/321839734880), and a few other things. I do appologize for the long post, I just thought it would be nice to share my thoughts for once and see if people could answer them. Now rember, There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away:rolleyes1.
It's one of my husbands favorites because he saw it as a kid at the worlds fair. Very interesting reading your post. I really think the dog is a mutt.

I know you aren't supposed to think literally about the show but I always thought the timeline didn't make sense. It started out at the turn of the century and ended up in the 60's but the kids only aged from teenagers to young adults.

I know you aren't supposed to think literally about the show but I always thought the timeline didn't make sense. It started out at the turn of the century and ended up in the 60's but the kids only aged from teenagers to young adults.

I agree. When I'm at Disney, I try to focus on the realistic stories & characters like Mickey Mouse, Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear, Dumbo, and Elsa.

It's not following a family through time - it's showing what life would be like for the same "typical American family" if they were placed in each era. No one ages.

Last edited:

I have a ton of CP MP3s from the New York World Fair audio, to the Disneyland version, as well as 1974 and 1994 WDW recordings. They're all available on Mousebits if you're interested.

While others responded to the particular question, there is one area in which the timeline doesn't quite fit reality.
In the second scene, father is talking about Lindbergh getting ready to fly cross the Atlantic. At the same time, he makes reference to "that new fella Babe Ruth". Just a minor point, but by '26 and '27 Ruth had already been the biggest star in baseball for several years, and had already broken the home run record twice. So he isn't really a "new fella" at that point.
I've been a CoP fan since the original version back in the 60s, with all the now-politically-incorrect references, dogs with three different names, and reference to "our new General Electric nuclear power plant", so I'm not complaining - just noting an anachronism.

We did this ride for the first time this year. My 12 year old fell in love with it and even my 16 year old enjoyed it. we did this 6 times over several days and my son (16) would break out with "there's a great big, beautiful, tomorrow" on the bus or in a line. We really enjoyed it and I am sad that we didn't experience it on previous trips.

Cant say the same for Tiki Room - that was weird. First (and last) try for that one.

Many long-time CoP fans remember that when the attraction first opened at the then brand-new Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom in Florida, the featured song was

"The Best Time of Your Life (Now Is the Time)"

Today, the song is "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow."

But, many may not know the reason for the change.

Both of the songs used in CoP are by the Sherman Brothers (Richard and Robert) who wrote lots of the great Disney songs in the 60's (It's a Small World, Mary Poppins... just SO many!)

When Walt Disney himself commissioned the music for CoP he wanted to accentuate the story that "progress" means that even though "today seems great, tomorrow is going to be better." The Shermans responded with "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" (the song that you currently hear in the CoP at WDW.)

Walt LOVED it, it was a huge hit at the 1964 World's Fair in NYC and my family and I got to see/hear it at Disneyland after it was finally set-up there after the fair.

WE loved it and rode that carousel over and over.

When CoP was moved to WDW, the Shermans were asked to write a new song (the CoP was sponsored by GE) that stated that "NOW is the Best Time" ostensibly because it meant to "go ahead and buy appliances TODAY," don't wait until "tomorrow" (or you'll never do it.)

As a kid who had grown up with the ORIGINAL SONG, I was a bit disappointed with the NEW one.

So, years later, when I discovered that the CoP had re-opened with the ORIGINAL song back IN, I was SO HAPPY! (I couldn't believe that the present-day Imagineers had taken the time to nearly RESTORE the new CoP to its earlier Walt Disney-supervised glory!)

I can understand that it those of you who were FIRST-initiated to the CoP with the SECOND song, would have nostalgia for THAT one... but Walt himself chose the FIRST one (that's there now) and I LOVE IT!

BTW, the present voice of the host (and the "father" on-stage) is Jean Shepherd, author and narrator for the perennial
favorite "A Christmas Story" (you'll shoot your eye out!)

The original actor Walt chose for this part was Rex Allen, Sr. who also quite ably narrated most of Disney's "animal films" in the 60's, and who was also a prominent "Cowboy Film Star" in the 50's.

Rex Sr.'s voice is currently that of the Grandfather in the final Christmas vignette of the present CoP. (When I first heard that voice I nearly broke down... what a beautiful tribute to the original show!)

A third voice that's prominently featured is "Cousin Orville" ("No privacy a-tall around this place!")

He is voiced by the great Mel Blanc, Sr. (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian... all the WB classic voices AND Barney Rubble!)

Mel is also the voice of the Parrot in another of the CoP scene.
These Mel Blanc tracks were actually lifted FROM the original audio used in the first CoP and, again, is an elegant nod to Walt's creation.

Alas, all three of these wonderful "voices" have passed on... but we can still enjoy their inimitable craftwork in the CoP.

Long may it continue to spin us into the (past) future!

:thumbsup2

--------------------------------------------------

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow

Shining at the end of ev'ry day

And tomorrow's just a dream away

Man has a dream and that's the start

He follows his dream with mind and heart

And when it becomes a reality

It's a dream come true for you and me

So there's a great big beautiful tomorrow

Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day

Just a dream away

The Best Time of Your Life (Now Is the Time)

Chorus:

Now is the time.

Now is the best time.

Now is the best time of your life.

Life is a prize.

Live every minute.

Open your eyes,

And watch how you win it.

Yesterday's mem'ries may sparkle and gleam,

Tomorrow is still but a dream

Right here and now,

you've got it made.

The world's forward marching,

and you're in the parade.

Now is the time.

Now is the best time.

Be it a time of

joy or strife.

There's so much to cheer for.

Be glad you're here for,

It's the best time of your life.

Many long-time CoP fans remember that when the attraction first opened at the then brand-new Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom in Florida, the featured song was

Both of the songs used in CoP are by the Sherman Brothers (Richard and Robert) who wrote lots of the great Disney songs in the 60's (It's a Small World, Mary Poppins... just SO many!)

When Walt Disney himself commissioned the music for CoP he wanted to accentuate the story that "progress" means that even though "today seems great, tomorrow is going to be better." The Shermans responded with "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" (the song that you currently hear in the CoP at WDW.)

Walt LOVED it, it was a huge hit at the 1964 World's Fair in NYC and my family and I got to see/hear it at Disneyland after it was finally set-up there after the fair.

When CoP was moved to WDW, the Shermans were asked to write a new song (the CoP was sponsored by GE) that stated that "NOW is the Best Time" ostensibly because it meant to "go ahead and buy appliances TODAY," don't wait until "tomorrow" (or you'll never do it.)

As a kid who had grown up with the ORIGINAL SONG, I was a bit disappointed with the NEW one.

So, years later, when I discovered that the CoP had re-opened with the ORIGINAL song back IN, I was SO HAPPY! (I couldn't believe that the present-day Imagineers had taken the time to nearly RESTORE the new CoP to its earlier Walt Disney-supervised glory!)

I can understand that it those of you who were FIRST-initiated to the CoP with the SECOND song, would have nostalgia for THAT one... but Walt himself chose the FIRST one (that's there now) and I LOVE IT!

BTW, the present voice of the host (and the "father" on-stage) is Jean Shepherd, author and narrator for the perennial

The original actor Walt chose for this part was Rex Allen, Sr. who also quite ably narrated most of Disney's "animal films" in the 60's, and who was also a prominent "Cowboy Film Star" in the 50's.

Rex Sr.'s voice is currently that of the Grandfather in the final Christmas vignette of the present CoP. (When I first heard that voice I nearly broke down... what a beautiful tribute to the original show!)

A third voice that's prominently featured is "Cousin Orville" ("No privacy a-tall around this place!")

He is voiced by the great Mel Blanc, Sr. (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian... all the WB classic voices AND Barney Rubble!)

These Mel Blanc tracks were actually lifted FROM the original audio used in the first CoP and, again, is an elegant nod to Walt's creation.

Alas, all three of these wonderful "voices" have passed on... but we can still enjoy their inimitable craftwork in the CoP.

Just a dream away

Chorus:

Now is the time.

Now is the best time.

Life is a prize.

Live every minute.

Open your eyes,

Right here and now,

you've got it made.

Now is the time.

Now is the best time.

Be it a time of

joy or strife.

Be glad you're here for,

Thank you SO much for adding this information! When I first went to Disney World, the song was "Now is the Time" and even as a kid that song stuck in my mind--all these years! My kids think I'm thinking of something else and don't believe me when I tell them that the song used to be different. Can't wait to show them this post!!!

Just a dream away

Chorus:

Now is the time.

Now is the best time.

Life is a prize.

Live every minute.

Open your eyes,

Right here and now,

you've got it made.

Now is the time.

Now is the best time.

Be it a time of

joy or strife.

Be glad you're here for,

Thank you Robo, what would we do without your knowledge? I'm thinking you are really the Wizard of Oz.

The original 1964 script (and the singing, orchestra arrangements) was/were even better!

If you can find the audio tracks of it, they are well worth a listen.
You can find a lot of them on YouTube.

Add me to one that saw it at the NY Worlds Fair. It was awesome and remember my mom saying she was in awe of the animatronics.

My favorite part of the original NY World's Fair was the ever-changing, multi-colored, computer controlled roof lights. With modern LED technology, it might even be feasible to bring that back. I wish they would.

We did this ride for the first time this year. My 12 year old fell in love with it and even my 16 year old enjoyed it. we did this 6 times over several days and my son (16) would break out with "there's a great big, beautiful, tomorrow" on the bus or in a line. We really enjoyed it and I am sad that we didn't experience it on previous trips.

LOVE hearing that younger generations like this too - gives me hope that a few of these classic attractions will stick around. I always worry that they'll slowly be dismantled and replaced with more whiz-bang interactive stuff and Frozen, Star Wars, or other film-driven IP to chase ever-changing tastes. Ideally, there's room for both in the years ahead.

I remember it closed for a while years back and the rumors were that it was not going to reopen. I was so sad...and then ecstatic when it reopened.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter