Carosel Name change at magic kingdom

Dumb. Is this supposed to be a way to bring more "boy stuff" into the parks? I don't think this is gonna do it if it is.

Following their fairy-tale romance and happily-ever-after wedding, Cinderella and Prince Charming took up residence in Cinderella’s Castle. With peace throughout the kingdom, Prince Charming had time to practice for jousting tournaments. In the countryside near the castle, he built a training device of carved horses, on which he could practice the art of ring-spearing, a tournament event in which a knight rides his horse full speed, lance in hand, toward a small ring hanging from a tree limb, with the object of spearing the ring. This event was known by various names throughout the lands, but generally came to be called “carrousel.”

The carrousel device drew the attention of the villagers, who wanted to take a turn on this amazing spinning contraption. So Prince Charming had a second carrousel constructed closer to the Castle, where everyone could take a spin on this wondrous invention. Instead of a working knight’s training device, however, this new carrousel is more befitting its regal location in the Castle Courtyard – its rustic training horses replaced with ornately decorated prancing steeds adorned with golden helmets and shields, flower garlands, feathers and other festoons. Prince Charming invites one and all to test their horsemanship skills and to enjoy their own happy ending.

:rotfl2:

And the seasons they go 'round and 'round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

:hippie:

As long as they don't change Cinderella's horse with the golden bow on its tail and I can still see Mary Poppins riding, I'll be okay with the change. I'm okay with the Prince getting a bit of "attention". I mean really Cindy has the whole dang castle and will soon be getting her own land. If it weren't for that prince, she wouldn't be a princess! :laughing:

It's Lancelot's Carrousel in Paris. Maybe they're trying to have a different "sponsor" for each carrousel.

"Following their fairy-tale romance and happily-ever-after wedding, Cinderella and Prince Charming took up residence in Cinderella’s Castle. With peace throughout the kingdom..."

Looks like WDW has given up and going with the name most visitors to the MK prefer using.

I I I

Argh, there's no way I'm going to remember this name. Oh, well, maybe there will be jousting tournaments on the carousel now!

Dumb. Is this supposed to be a way to bring more "boy stuff" into the parks? I don't think this is gonna do it if it is.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

They are making Fantasyland into "Princessland" and so they are throwing the boys a bone.

My first thought was that someone had some time on their hands and had to justify their paycheck so they came up with this new storyline.

I find it curious that the storyline states the Prince and Cinderella moved into Cinderella's Castle. Wasn't he of the royal family who had the castle and Cinderella the scullery maid who moved in after the marriage? That's some pre-nup that she got the castle!

Anyway, I assume this change is part of the overall storyline for the Fantasy Forest expansion. It won't affect my enjoyment of the attraction or the land.

It'll be interesting to see if they change Disneyland's King Arthur's Carousel to a prince's name so it matches the themes of the other Fantasylands.

Doesn't this also fly in the face of the fact that it is called "Cinderella Castle", not "Cinderella's Castle"?

One interesting note...part of the backstory is in fact the history of carousel's in general...

^ I hope the prince had Cinderella sign a pre-nup ! :lmao:

Haha. I was unhappy with the change. But I guess that's what comes with the remodel. The carousel (even though it's the DLR one) holds a special place in my heart and that's the reason why I was a little unhappy. Whatever it's just a name.

For me, I don't like the name change. Yes, it's just a name, but it's been that for almost 40 years...why change it now?

I noticed they are using the French spelling of carousel for the attraction name, but why do they keep using the French spelling in the rest of the blog post?

I don't understand the change. What is the point? Do they think changing the name will make it more appealing to boys? If they want to accomplish that they should add the jousting rings. Otherwise put his name on something new in the expansion that might appeal to the boys out there. What are they getting in this expansion anyway?

I guess the point is to give everything a "freshening" in keeping with the new Fantasyland.

But, I'd be willing to bet at least 80 percent of park guests will call it what they've always called it... "the merry-go-round". ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter