• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carnival Vs Disney

We cruised on Carnival in 2000 to the Mexican Riveria. It was our first cruise and of course we thought it was the greatest. A couple of things that come to mind that I might comment on were the getting on the ship and getting off. It was quite a lengthy process and a little discouraging. I am interested in seeing how Disney handles these areas when we take our first cruise with them November 2, 2002. I am sure it will be much better than what we encountered with Carnival.

Also the excursions were very party on. My husband and I went off on our own because we didn't have our daughter with us and that worked out better than if we had gone with the whole group. Unless you are looking for lots of drinking and partying. We just wanted to explore and do some snorkeling. It was much more pieceful just going on our own and we felt safe in all that we did. The taxi drivers really move in their little Nissan Sentra's and it is quite the experience. But overall we had a fun time. It depends on how involved you want to be or just go along and pick your areas that interest you and do some things on your own both on and off the ship.

We had to reschedule our cruise for 4 months later due to a health issue I was having. We had not purchased the insurance when we bought the tickets. I got a letter from my doctor and Carnival Administration were very good about rescheduling the trip. I was really pleased with the service they gave us in helping us reschedule.

But I am very interested in trying out each different cruise line to get a little bit of each one and pick the best. Hopefully financially and health wise I will be able to explore the waters of the world.

I found this great site while trying to decide which cruise line to use for a Hawaiian Cruise: http://www.cruisemates.com/

Right now we are leaning towards the Celebrity - Summit We have read tons of positive things about this cruise line and ship.

I found the Editor's Reviews and Reader Poll areas of this site extremely helpful. Just beware this site has a ton of info and you'll be glued to your computer for a while! :D

Neeter,
DO IT !
I was on the second voyage of the Summit......not a big ship by any means but probably the best cruise we have done as yet. (14 cruises so far)
The quality of the food is outstanding, the music center is a fabulous idea, the kids club is also well equipped and the on board feel is one of space. Certainly no meat market feel.
Also, the ports of call are more interesting. We did a 10 day sailing and had a wonderful time. The only bad thing was embarking and disembarking but I expect they've got this sorted by now.
Book and enjoy !

We, me, DH, DS (4) and DS (2) are looking into going on the Carnival Pride. The post above where Carnival was indifferent to their guests whose husband/father passed away after an excursion is horrible! Does anyone know what show this segment was on? Does anyone have more details? I would like to know more before I make any reservations. WHile we like Disney, little DS is too young for the clubs, yet he's really too big for Flounders, thus we have been looking at Carnival. I'd appreciate you all telling me what you know!

I had a honeymoon on DCL (Wonder, the 8th voyage), anyway, we enjoyed it so much that we are going on our 4th DCL cruise this Saturday. Our honeymoon was the best and we will never forget it, it was very "magical"!

We don't have any kids and we enjoy the pools, jacuzzi, spa services, cabin w/ verandah, night clubs and of course the food!! :D

I say try the DCL cruise!

Thanks ILuvDisney but we already did the Magic. As I stated, my little guy is too young for the clubs and really too old for Flounders. My older DS hated the club on the Magic. I think part of it was that he was by himself. We feel the kids will enjoy themselves more if they can participate together. Since Carnival takes 2 yr olds in their camp, that is what we are looking at. I've also heard better things about it than Disney's club.

Bride2BeIn2003: I had a honeymoon on DCL (Wonder, the 8th voyage), anyway, we enjoyed it so much that we are going on our 4th DCL cruise this Saturday. Our honeymoon was the best and we will never forget it, it was very "magical"!

We don't have any kids and we enjoy the pools, jacuzzi, spa services, cabin w/ verandah, night clubs and of course the food!!

I say try the DCL cruise!

and actually he preferred it over Disney Oceaneers Lab/Club. Granted Carnival does not offer all the huge space and gadgets, but i think the groups are smaller, and he liked that much better. He was five the first time we cruised, and since then he has been on three other cruises, so he has tried something on both Carnival and Disney.

I know you mentioned the Magic being dry docked during your wedding month. Did you consider going on the Wonder?

Dh and I did the 4 day land/3 day sea on the Wonder, because we didn't know if we would like or handle (seasick) the cruise that well. But, as you see we loved it and are continuing our yearly tradition of cruising w/ DCL.

I would pick the line with the best rate since you are not going with children. I can almost bet that Carnival will have the best price though. If you were going with children, I would definitely sway you towards Carnival. My youngest son was treated like dirt in the children's program on our Sept 2000 cruise with Disney.

We have gotten cheaper deals with Royal Caribbean--Sovereign of the Seas-- out of Port Canaveral the past 2 times we cruised (within the year) over Carnivals Fantasy...both 4 nights...both older ships, good service/food. Another option would be the Wonder...you could even do a Land and Sea package if you want longer time...do the cruise and then several days at WDW...although we also love Sea World and Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure---you can get some great package deals that include Sea World, Universal and Islands...they are sister parks now.

I agree with the previous post. If you want a shorter cruise, Royal Carribean's Sovereign is worth pricing. It is less flashy on the inside compared to the Carnival ships and their pricing can't be beat on the shorter cruises. Royal does not sail the longer cruises out of Canaveral. It is only a matter of time though. NCL is going to add a 7 day ship next year, so that is another one to price.

The Sovereign is as conservative as the Disney ships are. The pricing is low because a 1988 ship is considered old by many since there are so many new ships being rolled out. It is relatively young in my book when you look at the average age of cruise ships a few years ago. Anyone remember the original Premier ships that used to sail out of Port Canaveral? Those ships were built in the 60's.

I sailed on two Premier ships and had a great time both times. When we went on RCCL Monarch of the Seas in 1994, it was brand new and incredibly beautiful, but I remember thinking that Premier's food and service were just as good, that Premier actually did a great job for the age and size of their ships. Living near the port I know a lot of people who sailed Premier frequently and they all missed them when they went out of business, most of all the people locally who were employed by them.

I always heard wonderful things about Premier. I am sorry I never got to experience their ships firsthand before they went under. It is a great void for those of us who like an affordable cruise on a clean ship regardless of it's age. The Norway is the only 60's vintage ship that is left.

I've cruise Carnival, RCL and Disney.

Thought Disney was great with our two kids. Lots of fun. Have been on Carnival 4 yrs ago and wasn't pleased. I think things have improved since then though.

For a honeymoon I highly recommend Royal Caribbean. It's worth it. Excellent food, service and ships. They have a great mix of people...not too old, not too young, lots of honeymooners. You won't be disappointed. It may be worth looking into.

Just my opinion. Janine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter