• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're back from the Mardi Gras! Had a really great time-just experienced it differently than I would with DH (not a bad thing!)

The ship is truly beautiful and truly unlike any other Carnival ship I've been on. Main decks inside were 6, 7, 8 and main decks outside were 16, 17, 18. I believed we sailed at around 70% capacity.

- Loved the colors of the rooms and hallways. They were subtle blues and whites. Very beachy and gave a much more upscale feeling.

- The showers has glass doors! And a bar at the bottom to shave your legs!! :worship:

- We had a Cove Balcony & an Interior room, both on Deck 5 Aft. Nice location. I chose the interior room on the deck plan when booking because it had a square shape and I was intrigued (not long & narrow like normal. There were a few of these on 5)-turned out to be a really good decision! The room seemed incredibly spacious and I would definitely seek one of these rooms out in the future.

-The Lido buffet area reminded me of Cabanas on DCL. Just like the staterooms-beachy & upscale feeling, laid out nicely.

-Finally a pool on the Serenity Deck!! And the hottubs were huge! The entire space as a whole was wonderful. It's large, has a convenient bar and salad bar (open on sea days), has those circular lounges, full bed loungers and plenty of chairs. Spent a lot of time here.

-There were nice pools off the back of Deck 8 and 16, but lots of kids and the space wasn't huge. If you're looking for adult space, go to Serenity.

-This is crazy to say, but we did not eat dinner in the dining room AT ALL. Had breakfast here twice. The menus were the same as in Alaska, so didn't miss much. But, we did the specialty restaurants. We did Chibang twice (including on Thanksgiving), Guy's Smokehouse twice, Cucina once and Bonsai sushi/Emeril's once.

-I love the Alchemy Bar, but the Fortune Teller bar realllllyyyy gave it a run for the money. My brother & I had the Cheers package so I made an appearance pretty much every night. Bartenders were great as well!

-The one real negative I have is the lack of an atrium and the layout of the Center Stage. I missed some sort of central hub and really didn't like the layout of the stage and seating area. There wasn't a lot of seating-you had to show up an hour+ ahead of time to get a good seat. I can't imagine the ship at full capacity. The shows themselves were wonderful (LOVED Voodoo Moon!) and they involved a lot of aerial performers, HOWEVER, this worked against the theater seating configuration. Anyone on the bottom floor could not see anything above stage level because it was directly under the balcony. Just a strange set up. You also had the candy store, coffee shop, and main walkway directly behind you, so be ready for noise from that.

Seeing another really good deal for the last week of February so there is a good chance DH & I will book it. My SIL and her family and my in-laws booked an AirBnB in Davenport (no plans for theme parks/beaches/activities. Literally just rented a house with a pool in a Florida subdivision. Not my idea of a vacation by any stretch) and we're being guilt tripped that we aren't coming. Sooooo the cruise will overlap enough where we could do that and then show up at the house for like 2 days. Win-win.

But if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask and I can try to answer the best I can!
Thanks for sharing your review of the Mardi Gras. I'm sailing with my daughters in January.

Personal update: we are patiently waiting (and hoping) that Carnival will soon let people sailing in the end of January postpone their cruise. I let our PVP know of our intentions.

Things aren’t looking great right now as we are most likely going back under full lockdown here in Quebec (Canada).

Hoping to be able to postpone to April 2022. Not the itinerary I hoped for (was looking forward visiting San Juan)... However, Mahogany Bay looks like heaven and was on my list.

*Fingers crossed*

Update: We have been able to postpone our cruise to April 2022 without any problems.

Now looking forward all your tips and advices regarding Mahogany Bay. :)

P.s.: We´ll remain at the port since we are travelling with the in-laws.

Our new sailing also goes to Mahogany Bay. We have never been. We did book an outside excursion to a sloth and monkey place and it includes snorkeling and a beach stop. The kids are super excited about the sloths.

I don't think we'll have issues with overall cancellations, but waiting to see if our February cruise will be affected by any port changes. Saw John Heald announced a few! San Juan & Grand Turk could still be iffy.

I got that too, 9 times for some reason (I do have 5 cruises booked?) I was kind of prepared for that any way, but still hoping things change before our 2023 cruises at least...

Got that too - already posted in our cruise group on FB. I think the VeriFLY app will be awesome if it works well. To have all of that uploaded and ready to go before we even get on our flight would be great. Hopefully, we get to use it for our upcoming cruise so I can report back!

Agreed. I love the idea of being able to set up everything before we leave.

According to some reports, Carnival Sensation and Ecstasy are retiring? (Sensation right away and Ecstasy in October).

All I can say after sailing on the Sensation in 2018 is that it is a smart decision. There is no way the Sensation could keep up with the new generation of Carnival ships like Vista and XL Class.

According to some reports, Carnival Sensation and Ecstasy are retiring? (Sensation right away and Ecstasy in October).

All I can say after sailing on the Sensation in 2018 is that it is a smart decision. There is no way the Sensation could keep up with the new generation of Carnival ships like Vista and XL Class.

I think I saw John Heald mention the impending retirement/sale of them on a video-didn't watch it, but saw the comments! Sensation was the first cruise ship I ever sailed on, and I remember being in awe of how massive it was! But it's time for them to enjoy their retirement. Even the Conquest class ships are starting to seem small and a little dated with all of the new ships being introduced.

We are thinking about an Alaska cruise on NCL. I'm hoping someone on here has cruised NCL. We cruised to Alaska on Disney in 2014, but thought we'd try another line since we don't care about the characters anymore. We are gold on DCL, but have never sailed any other line, so my head is spinning trying to figure stuff out. On NCL, when it's time to book excursions is it done the same as Disney and based on how many cruises you've done. If it is, I'm worried we won't get the excursions we'd like. Do we have to buy a drinks package or can we buy drinks as we want them? None of us drink soda and I'm the only one who drinks alcoholic drinks, and even then I would only get 1 drink of wine per day at the most. What about tea and coffee? Are they extra? The club level says you get to book on board entertainment and dining. Does that mean we have to book the evening shows beforehand? We can't just show up for Kinky Boots to see it like at Disney shows? Are the dining bookings just for the speciality restaurants? Like you have to do for Palo/Remy. My dd will be either 14 or 15 yrs old depending on if we go before or after her June bday, can she eat at any of the speciality restaurants or are they all adult only? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm having trouble finding info on their website. Thanks for any help anyone has. We're looking at June 2023, so have time. They have some really good deals right now. So I'd like to get something booked.

We are thinking about an Alaska cruise on NCL. I'm hoping someone on here has cruised NCL. We cruised to Alaska on Disney in 2014, but thought we'd try another line since we don't care about the characters anymore. We are gold on DCL, but have never sailed any other line, so my head is spinning trying to figure stuff out. On NCL, when it's time to book excursions is it done the same as Disney and based on how many cruises you've done. If it is, I'm worried we won't get the excursions we'd like. Do we have to buy a drinks package or can we buy drinks as we want them? None of us drink soda and I'm the only one who drinks alcoholic drinks, and even then I would only get 1 drink of wine per day at the most. What about tea and coffee? Are they extra? The club level says you get to book on board entertainment and dining. Does that mean we have to book the evening shows beforehand? We can't just show up for Kinky Boots to see it like at Disney shows? Are the dining bookings just for the speciality restaurants? Like you have to do for Palo/Remy. My dd will be either 14 or 15 yrs old depending on if we go before or after her June bday, can she eat at any of the speciality restaurants or are they all adult only? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm having trouble finding info on their website. Thanks for any help anyone has. We're looking at June 2023, so have time. They have some really good deals right now. So I'd like to get something booked.

I can't answer everything, I've booked but never made it on an NCL cruise. Did a lot of research and have friends who have cruised on them. I'm not familiar with DCL booking excursions. For NCL, once you book the cruise, you can book excursions, provided they are available. For 2023 they might not be ready to book yet, but they'll open up to everyone at the same time. Tea and coffee are included, the regular stuff, not fancy espresso drinks. You can buy what you like in terms of alcohol, you don't need to get a package. But NCL often has deals where it's included. You would pay for the gratuities on the package. Your daughter can eat wherever, there are no adult only dining options on NCL. Specialty will come at a cost, but again, they often have a deal where you can get it free (or just for gratuities).

Not sure about the shows, I have yet to go on a cruise where they need to be booked (but know on some of the bigger ships it's common to have to do so). If they do need to be booked you can usually do so after you book the cruise, but again it might not be until closer to the sailing date. https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/when-can-i-book-dining-entertainment

I can't answer everything, I've booked but never made it on an NCL cruise. Did a lot of research and have friends who have cruised on them. I'm not familiar with DCL booking excursions. For NCL, once you book the cruise, you can book excursions, provided they are available. For 2023 they might not be ready to book yet, but they'll open up to everyone at the same time. Tea and coffee are included, the regular stuff, not fancy espresso drinks. You can buy what you like in terms of alcohol, you don't need to get a package. But NCL often has deals where it's included. You would pay for the gratuities on the package. Your daughter can eat wherever, there are no adult only dining options on NCL. Specialty will come at a cost, but again, they often have a deal where you can get it free (or just for gratuities).

Not sure about the shows, I have yet to go on a cruise where they need to be booked (but know on some of the bigger ships it's common to have to do so). If they do need to be booked you can usually do so after you book the cruise, but again it might not be until closer to the sailing date. https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/when-can-i-book-dining-entertainment

Thank you for the info, that helps a lot. I've watched quite a few youtube videos. I'm about 99% sure we are going to book the NCL Alaska cruise for 2023. I need to figure out which cabin to book. I was set on a club balcony, but then saw a video of a family OV that is on deck 9, forward and it is HUGE and available. We usually get OV middle deck 2 on DCL because I get seasick. Deck 9 forward would make me worried I'd be sick all the time, but that cabin was MASSIVE! I'm actually more excited for a NCL than I am for our Fantasy cruise next month.

Thank you for the info, that helps a lot. I've watched quite a few youtube videos. I'm about 99% sure we are going to book the NCL Alaska cruise for 2023. I need to figure out which cabin to book. I was set on a club balcony, but then saw a video of a family OV that is on deck 9, forward and it is HUGE and available. We usually get OV middle deck 2 on DCL because I get seasick. Deck 9 forward would make me worried I'd be sick all the time, but that cabin was MASSIVE! I'm actually more excited for a NCL than I am for our Fantasy cruise next month.

If you get seasick, I'd avoid a forward cabin, mid ship would be better. The club cabins (I'm assuming NCL Bliss) are almost as big as those family OV's, plus add on the balcony space. I'm prone to seasickness myself, I use seabands and take meclizine when it gets bad. I find being right at the front or back of the ship I notice it more. But then too, the size of the ship makes a difference. NCL Bliss is bigger than the biggest DCL ship, even Wish. Bigger the ship, less noticeable the motion. The Club balcony also comes with some extra perks, like being able to book entertainment earlier and a bottle of sparling wine I believe?

Sorry I can't provide firsthand information - we were originally booked NCL for Alaska last year before it was cancelled and we booked another line. I was excited to try it, but hopefully we will in the future! However, my mom did sail on the Bliss for her Alaskan cruise and loved it. I believe the ship was really built for Alaska so it's a great choice. Apparently, the Observation Deck is absolutely amazing, the ship itself is quite beautiful, lots of food and drink options, etc.

In terms of drink packages, like @hdrolfe said, NCL tends to run their promotion of having them "included" meaning you just pay gratuities, but they aren't required and you can remove them from your booking. I don't think your DD will have any issue going to any restaurant, specialty dining will probably just require a reservation. Drinks should really be the same as on DCL, except for soda, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that!

If we do Alaska again, it will definitely be on NCL. Sounds like you're doing your research and will have a wonderful time. Alaska is just like nothing we've ever experienced before so enjoy every minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter