Carnival given permission to sail to Cuba

Heard about this at work yesterday, but I must confess other than the fact that Cuba has allowed very, very few visitors for decades, I'm not sure what the fascination is…. :magnify:

Heard about this at work yesterday, but I must confess other than the fact that Cuba has allowed very, very few visitors for decades, I'm not sure what the fascination is…. :magnify:

Cuba never disallowed vistors... They wanted vistors, and got quite a few from Europe. The USA had an embargo against Cuba, and wouldn't allow American citizens to legally visit Cuba. That policy has now been lifted after 50 years.

I strongly suspect that Cuba will become a prime vacation destination very very quickly.

Cuba never disallowed vistors... They wanted vistors, and got quite a few from Europe. The USA had an embargo against Cuba, and wouldn't allow American citizens to legally visit Cuba. That policy has now been lifted after 50 years.

I strongly suspect that Cuba will become a prime vacation destination very very quickly.

And it's be nice to see it before it gets totally developed into resorts...

And it's be nice to see it before it gets totally developed into resorts...

It's kind of frozen in time. It was all American resorts in the 1950's and early 60's... Ever see The Godfather?
Then came the American embargo combined with communist economy, and they had trouble importing many products. So you still see tons of 50's and 60's automobiles in Cuba.

But Europeans have continued to vacation in Cuba, so you do already have some magnificent resorts.

Jamaica and the DR are in trouble in terms of vacation destinations.

It's exciting to say the least. I did find it interesting that Carnival was the first one on board though! Aren't they known as the party-booze cruise? Hard to picture a Carnival cruise ship doing humanitarian trips!

It's exciting to say the least. I did find it interesting that Carnival was the first one on board though! Aren't they known as the party-booze cruise? Hard to picture a Carnival cruise ship doing humanitarian trips!
Carnival is using their fanthom brand, which combines cruising with humanitarian aid.
http://www.fathom.org/

Not lifted, but relaxed somewhat.

From a story at the Orlando Sentinel (contained in the post liked to by com_op_2000:
Americans still can't travel for leisure tourism to Cuba under terms of the U.S. embargo against communist-led Cuba, a measure that must be lifted by Congress.

But new rules permit U.S. visits to Cuba without a prior license in 12 categories of travel, including the people-to-people type tours now planned by Carnival's fathom brand.

Being Canadian, I got a lot of friends going on vacation to Cuba (because it's affordable) ... I saw pictures but meh... I never understood the hype and never been tempted to go there. But I guess going for 1 day is not that bad.

I'll be on the first ferry from Key West when they start regular trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter