Carnation Gardens Plaza Closing, Swing Dancing still taking place.

skiingfast

<font color=teal>Has had no bacon<br><font color=b
This has been known about for weeks now, but Disney is making it public. April 30th. One of the bigger complaints about this, the loss of swing dancing at this location is addressed near the bottom, it's just moving to another location.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-to-new-fantasy-faire-experience-on-april-30/

As Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs and Disneyland Resort President George Kalogridis announced at the D23 Expo in August of last year, Carnation Plaza Gardens at Disneyland park is being reimagined into the new Fantasy Faire – an enchanting village square that will immerse guests in the stories of their favorite princesses. Carnation Plaza Gardens Stage will become the Fantasy Faire Stage, where the tales of Disney’s fairy tale heroes and heroines will be brought to life each day.

This transformation will begin with the closing of Carnation Plaza Gardens at the end of the Disneyland park operating day on April 30. There are three more chances for Disneyland park guests to enjoy the Jump, Jive, Boogie Swing Party at Carnation Plaza Gardens before it closes:
•April 14 – featuring Doc Anello & the Swing Machine
•April 21 – featuring Stompy Jones
•April 28 – featuring Swingtown

And starting May 5, Disneyland Resort guests can keep on dancing each Saturday night when the Jump, Jive, Boogie Swing Party continues at the Westside Stage in the Downtown Disney District.

R.I.P. Carnation plaza gardens, August 1956 - April 2012

7046041511_6aa046f6e7_c.jpg

So sad.

Where exactly is the West Side Stage area? What would it be next to?

Absolutely terrible news. Such a great tradition. I'll miss hearing Stompy Jones every month!

I love the look of the new theming and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not big on swing dancing and I've also only been going to Disney once a year since 2008 so the traditional things aren't well known to me. Swing dancing there just never seemed to fit for me and I think dtd seems like a great place for it. I'm sorry for those of you who are upset about this.

I love the look of the new theming and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not big on swing dancing and I've also only been going to Disney once a year since 2008 so the traditional things aren't well known to me. Swing dancing there just never seemed to fit for me and I think dtd seems like a great place for it. I'm sorry for those of you who are upset about this.

Swing dancing on an old main street USA doesn't seem to fit?

It seems that many Disneyland Resort “deciders” just don’t understand tradition and the roots that make Disneyland charming. Carnation Plaza Gardens is certainly one of these charming things. Those who enjoyed 90+ year olds, Don and Blanche Miller, dancing to Stan Freese and the Disneyland Big Band playing “Johnny B Goode”, or smiled as Rose and Dubby did their seniors’ version of “dirty dancing” in matching outfits know what I mean. This is a place where young and old mixed together in a family-friendly environment that Walt Disney himself told Rose and Dubby would always remain at Disneyland (you can spot Rose and Dubby on the vintage Disneyland at Night DVD with the Osmond boys). This area featured top-name Big Bands throughout the years and was the birthplace of the Swing Revival in the 90’s, partly led by Disneyland character employees. Too bad John Lasseter didn’t halt the unfortunate decision to change this remaining Disneyland treasure. There’s always hope that wisdom will prevail, and the area will be resurrected in the future to its former glory as we see with the Main Street Carnation Café.

Posted elsewhere...
downtowndisneystageswingdancing.jpg

This is the stage I am picturing also.

I am glad that the swing dancers will have a place to continue to dance during construction, and hope that DL management will make sure that they can continue to dance at the Disneyland Park when construction is finished.

I am glad that the swing dancers will have a place to continue to dance during construction, and hope that DL management will make sure that they can continue to dance at the Disneyland Park when construction is finished.

Some of the local bands who were invited to play there, seem to have a new home in the Festival Arena for the time being.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2913575

Disney seems to have thier bases covered on this. Too bad they could build a temporary Matterhorn to use while the original gets its rehab.

The walls are up around the Carnation Plaza Gardens

358675_c_img.jpg

From Twitter:

MouseWait Disneyland @MouseWait
The walls are up around the Carnation Plaza Gardens ow.ly/aDKR9
#Disneyland

Look on the bright side--now you locals can go swing dancing without paying for tickets or parking.:cool2:

so, what are they going to do with the big area in the back by the train near ToonTown? There wont be two Princess faire places will there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter