Caribbean or Alaskan cruise.....

gfamof4

Mouseketeer
Our family of 4 (children ages 9 & 8) just got back from the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy. We enjoyed it so much that we went ahead and booked a "dummy" cruise while onboard to take advantage of the discount/onboard credit. We would really like to try the Alaskan itinerary. Who has done the Caribbean and Alaska? Which did you like better? Will we be disappointed by the smaller ship after being on the Fantasy?

We have cruised many Eastern & Western cruises and LOVED our Alaska cruise in 2011. The kids ask when we can go again and even DH says that was his favorite cruise ever [have done 9 including the Panama Canal repo.] It is a completely different cruise though. The scenery is nothing like what you see in the Carribean -- it's MUCH better!

You won't be disappointed. I can't imagine you will really even notice a difference in the size of the ship.

We did both Alaska and the Western Caribbean last year. Enjoyed the Caribbean but loved Alaska! Absolutely beautiful. If I could repeat one of them, it would definitely be Alaska

We've only cruised the Wonder and Magic so can't compare them to the Fantasy.

We've done both -- if you're going to pick just 1, hands down choose Alaska! It is SO amazingly beautiful!!! (but it's not like you'll have a BAD time in the Caribbean either ;) )

My DH and I are deciding this as well. We booked a dummy cruise on the Fantasy for this June (Eastern Caribbean) but he wants to take an Alaskan cruise. I don't know that our 4-year-old will get much out of the Alaskan cruise though. Anyone take young ones to Alaska?

We have done both the Alaskan and the Eastern Caribbean. We enjoyed both. Both ships have their pros and cons. I don't think you will miss the pool space and aqua duck much on the Alaskan. Some did use the pools but it wasn't a fight for space. If I give my family a choice, they choose Alaska. It was also DH's favorite vacation we have ever taken.

Haven't done the Caribbean yet, but we are trying to book now after having done the Alaska last year and I'm really worried I'm going to be disappointed. The Alaska Disney cruise was the best vacation we've ever taken. We were with a group of 8 kids ages 2-13 and ALL were thrilled with the entire thing. I seriously can't imagine the Caribbean topping it and I'm scared to try!

You won't be disappointed. I can't imagine you will really even notice a difference in the size of the ship.

Not much, but you notice it in the elevators and character meets, specially when the ship is full. The Atrium is half the size and hence more people packed...

But you would NOT be dissapointed...

We did AK in July of 2011. Amazing! We're doing the Western Caribbean for spring break this year and have done the Bahamas. The Caribbean is always what comes to mind when you think about cruising but I have to say that I'm hoping to enjoy this one as much as the AK one. I think the main difference will be that on the AK cruise there's always beautiful scenery to behold along with super calm water and wildlife to be seen off the ship. Sailing the inside passage is like sailing through a river. On the Caribbean it'll be like the Bahamas, water for scenery until the ports. For me, I think of AK as a once in a lifetime deal although we're hoping to return. The Caribbean for lots of folks is also once in a lifetime. I think you need to consider the experience factor; the ship size, the ports visited, the excursions, the variation of the excursions from port to port, the weather conditions, when can you cruise (AK is summer only). You can also consider where does the cruise sail from. Our AK cruise sailed from Vancouver. We had 2 fantastic days there before the cruise, a place we wouldn't have gone to otherwise but now would like to go revisit. Good luck with your decision.

Do Alaska. It will take your breath away. Also, we found out while we were on the cruise that even the glaciers in the inside passage are receding at an incredibly alarming rate. At Mendenhall there were photos of the glaciers' edge from the last hundred years or so, and it was incredible that so much of it was gone. Imagine where it will be in twenty years. :sad2: When we were in Tracy Arm I remember the naturalist on board also saying that Sawyer Glacier had receded an incredible amount in just the last twenty years or so. So do Alaska now while you can... the Caribbean will be waiting for you another time! :goodvibes

Thanks for all of the posts. We will definitely try the Alaskan cruise next.

Where in MS are you from? I am from MS as well and we are going to AK next year. It's going to be quite the temperature shock! I honestly think anything under 65 degrees is freezing!

We went on the western Caribbean on the Fantasy earlier this month. We booked a dummy cruise and transferred it to Alaska for next summer. We have been on the Wonder 3 times and love it. Never been to Alaska but looking forward to it.

My family will only consider Bahamas or Caribbean if we could do castaway cay twice and during a month we could travel.

Ships, we did the Fantasy, Wonder and Magic. There is not one we like better than any of the others. There are things we like better but they all even out.

From the places we have cruise here is the order we liked the area.. not counting the cruise ship we were on.
1. Trans-Atlantic cruise (all the sea days then get to see Seville, Gibraltar and Barcelona)
2. Panama Canal (get to see Western Caribbean, the Canal then all the countries of South America)
3. Bahamas
4. Alaska
5. Western Caribbean
6. Mexico

We are from Natchez,MS...... I would love to one day try the Trans-Atlantic and Panama Canal Cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter