Caribbean Beach Resort FAQ's Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW has been working hard for this trip and wants to still eat sensibly. Is there alot of "healthy choices" at the food court. Fruits yogurts etc. I am trying not to have to do many groceries.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :wave2:

They also have some lovely salads, veggie and dip plates and wraps available.

Kids stayed there in mid Oct-their room was awesome-2 min walk to food court-views of two quiet pools and a beach.

Their room also had a good size little fridge. We stopped at a grocery store and bought sodas, fruit, cereal and milk (beer for dad) at a fraction of the price you would pay in WDW.

Originally posted by safetymom
The first FAQ has lots of trip reports that you might want to look at.

To get you in the mood you might want to visit my pictures of CBR.

Thanks, safetymom! I'll take a look at them. I love reading trip reports!

Is Jamaica Bldg. 45 about the same distance to OPR as some of the preferred buildings? It looks like it is according to the map. Any clue?

I think Jamaica is further away in some areas than the preferred locations. It is a beautiful walk from any of the locations so it shouldn't matter.

I read that there is a bakery at CBR. Has anyone been there? Do they have little birthday cakes? Any info would be great!

Perhaps I am wrong and I hope someone will correct me if I am. When DH and I were there in May of 2003, I don't believe they had a bakery but they did have a 'convenience' store where they sold all kinds of goodies like cookies, brownies, pieces of cake and such - that may be what you are thinking of. Anyone?

One of the stations used to be set up like a bakery but that was before the refurb. I am not aware of a bakery at CBR.

:rolleyes: Bummer, I guess Birnbaum has some editing to do. Thanks for the info!

Caribbean Beach Internal Shuttle Temporary Change

courtesy of Chip and Dale Express
I know this probably belongs more on the Transportation board, but I think it will get more views over here.

As of the other day, there will be a temporary change to the way the Internal Resort Shuttle works in Caribbean Beach. Formerly, the Disney-MGM Studios bus would enter CBR, and make one circle as the Internal, and then a second circle as the Studios bus. To get to the Custom House, you would get off at Barbados, and cross the street.

AS of Tuesday, the Internal bus is a dedicated bus that stays within CBR, and will run from 7am-11pm, daily. It will continue to stop at all 7 island stops, as well as now making a stop at the Custom House itself.

This change is only a test, and if it proves sucessful, it might become permanent. We shall see

Staying at CBR for the first time in December. Just wondering if there is a "story" behind the theming similar to Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island etc.?:fish:

lillasmom,

My DH & I just returned from the CBR and there definitely is no bakery, however they were selling small cakes (7 x 7?) in the refrigerated section of the food court where they sell cereals, fruit, drinks & other convenience products.

Originally posted by lillasmom
I read that there is a bakery at CBR. Has anyone been there? Do they have little birthday cakes? Any info would be great!

There are birthday cakes there! We just got back last Monday and there were whole round birthday cakes in the "grab and go" convenience food section. I remember thinking how nice it was, if you needed one. I didn't check the price though, I'm sure it was expensive, considering on piece was around $4.

Thanks TKDizneyluver and Hanily! That's good to know, even if they don't have a bakery. I figured they would be expensive, but it's Disney.

Thanks again!

:wave:

Hi Everyone!

Gosh, I can't believe how quick our trip went by! But we had a wonderful time, beautiful weather, and we were at Disney World! What more could we ask for!?

Cast of Characters: Me (40) Disneyaholic/vacation planner
DH (39) Closet Disneylover

To start off, this resort is BEAUTIFUL! If you love the tropics like I do, you too will enjoy the beauty of this resort. Sandy beaches with hammocks, palm trees swaying in the breeze & the overall colorful buildings and background Calypso music were very nice!

We had never stayed at this resort so it was nice to try someplace new. We arrived late on Saturday evening(10/23), around 8:30 p.m. They had 4 cast members on staff checking people in, we waited approximately 20-25 minutes before we were on our way to our room. Our room was very nice, we requested a corner king room in Aruba and that is what we were given. It was a first floor room(5412) right around the corner from the quiet pool, the walkway along the lake & the bus stop(very nice!). Before we left I was concerned about bugs as that was one of the big topics on this board at that time. Well I am happy to say that we had NO BUGS in our room! Mousekeeping was very good, our room was cleaned well each day. They left new soaps every other day, they had changed the blankets and sheets on our 3rd day(we stayed a total of 6) and we received a towel bunny on our 4th day. We left $3 each day in a "Mousekeeping envelope" on the sink for the 2 of us. Our only complaint was that the bed was too hard for our backs, but other people may not have a problem with that. FYI...included in the room was a wall attached hairdryer(very powerful, had three settings), an iron & ironing board(very nice), a 4-cup coffee maker with 2 pre-packaged coffee packets, and a refrigerator-no freezer.

We did not have the opportunity to eat at Shutter's Restaurant, but we did enjoy the foods available at the Market Street Food Court. I do recall when we stayed at the All-Stars & PO that they had more food stations to choose from than CBR did. And it is true that it is cheaper to buy beer, wine, soda, milk, etc. from the Calypso Trading Post(clothing & souveniers) rather than from the food court area. From what I've read on these boards that appears to be true at all resorts. We bought CBR mugs right away and felt they were worth the money with the amount of coffee, tea & soda that we drank during our stay. We did see people using mugs from other resorts as has also been reported on these boards previously.

Overall we would stay at this resort again, however I agree with people who feel that this resort is too spread out. It would have been nice having the food court closer, maybe they could have 2 food courts? IMO it was not so bad walking to Old Port Royale in the morning when our stamina was up, but when we returned from a day at the parks and our feet & legs were tired it felt like a trek. If anyone has any questions for me feel free to ask. In the meantime I think we'll start researching the Polynesian and the Contemporary(DH mentioned wanting to stay here several times during our trip!). Have a magical day!

I just picked up our final paperwork from our travel agent. When I booked, I requested a King Room. However, when we got our paperwork it says that we requested a preferred room, (Double beds) which was an additional charge. I asked the agent about it, and she said that she booked us in the preferred area because it would be closer to everything, better especially for a small child. My paperwork also noted that a king room would be another charge.

I was wondering if you guys thought that it would be better to have the closer room, or the king room. DD is only 3 so she either sleeps with us or on an air mattress.

Also, can I call CRO and have this changed, or do you think that I should just wait until we check in. I do not want to cause any confusion with my ressie? Please help!!

I would take the preferred location. A king room could be located far enough away that you could have a 10 min. walk to the food court. Bring the air mattress. You will enjoy being close to the food court and main pool that also has the kiddie pool.

Safetymom: Thanks so much. I am so glad that you have this thread. I have never stayed at CBR, so I had no idea what would be better. I will just stay with the preferred room.

Christina

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter