Caribbean Beach FAQ part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to get nervous! This will be our first time at cbr and I've read a few not so great posts from recent guests. I'm really debating talking to dh about changing resorts. The only reason we changed from pop was because of the dining plan. we got the better plan for staying at a moderate but i'm really getting worried about the buses, cleanliness, etc.

I'm nervous too, mainly about the bus transportation. Esp. after seeing that video of the guy trying to beat up the bus driver! I just booked a rental car, which I can always cancel, but from day 1 I was nervous about this issue. DH doesn't want to deal w/a car but he will definitely be unhappy if we sit at a bus stop waiting and waiting because buses are either full or they are slow. We got the *free* dining too. So hope that kinda makes up for the $200 car rental?;)

I wouldn't worry about it! CBR is a lovely resort. But yes, bad experiences can and will happen at any Disney resort. That being said, our best experiences have been at CBR. We would pick it over the rest of the moderates any day. We have also experienced the best bus service at CBR, with most waits being under 5 minutes! Plus CBR is the most centrally located resort, making for very short trips to all parks & DTD. Our room has always been clean and the staff very friendly & helpful.

This is our first time using buses... is trying to hit rope drop too crazy? We've always been rope drop people, but we've also always had a car.... Does anyone have any good bus recommendations or advice?

No, it's not crazy at all to try to hit rope drop! We have always went out to the bus stop about 45 minutes before park opening and got there with plenty pf time to spare!

There are a few tricks that you need to follow; 1) Don't try to ride during the "Peak" times, prior to rope drop or at park closing. We always go right after rope drop and we always leave about an hour before park closing. We do stay sometimes, but we know that the buses will be busy then. 2) Know that there will always be others there with you, and that those with ECVs will load first.

Agreed.
The only time I had a "bad" experience with the buses (and I wouldn't call it bad, but DW & kids differ) was when we left MK at closing on a Saturday night. It took an hour before we were able to board a bus. I looked at as though it was to be expected. Otherwise, I've never had problems getting to the parks in the morning - although most times we had breakfast ADRs for earlier than rope drop - or getting back to the resort other than that one night. And that night we violated the DISers unwritten rule of avoiding MK on a Saturday night. It was our last night and I wanted to surprise everyone with the Wishes desset party.

I'm starting to get nervous! This will be our first time at cbr and I've read a few not so great posts from recent guests. I'm really debating talking to dh about changing resorts. The only reason we changed from pop was because of the dining plan. we got the better plan for staying at a moderate but i'm really getting worried about the buses, cleanliness, etc.

I'm nervous too, mainly about the bus transportation. Esp. after seeing that video of the guy trying to beat up the bus driver! I just booked a rental car, which I can always cancel, but from day 1 I was nervous about this issue. DH doesn't want to deal w/a car but he will definitely be unhappy if we sit at a bus stop waiting and waiting because buses are either full or they are slow. We got the *free* dining too. So hope that kinda makes up for the $200 car rental?;)

We have stayed at the CBR 5 years in a row. Our last stay was Memorial Day, 2010. We have never had any issues with mousekeeping, bus transportation or rude castmembers.

If a room doesn't seem to be clean enough to you, all you have to do is push "housekeeping" on your room phone and complain. Tell them your problem and they'll do their best to rectify the problem. We've never had a problem with a dirty room but we did call housekeeping and ask that they bring extra towels and washclothes and they were there, literally, in less than 5 minutes.

The bus transporatation has always been efficient during our stays. We've never waited long for a bus. I think the longest was about 25 minutes and that was in the middle of the day and we had just missed an Epcot bus. It was rolling away when we were walking across the parking lot. We also know that it wasn't during peak times so that's probably what took a little longer. If you do have bus issues, simply pick up the phone in the bus stop. There's on in every CBR bus stop. Complain and they will send more buses.

You will read lots of bad reviews for every Disney resort. All the way from the Grand Floridian down to the All Stars resorts.

OP - I may have been one of the mediocre/negative reviews you've read recently. However, I wouldn't change your resort at this point. It will be cool to stay in a resort you haven't tried yet and the issues you may encounter here will not ruin your vacation. DH will not stay here again, but I would consider it. Understand that the resort is spread out and it may take a long time for buses. Epcot was the worst for us at all times of day - morning, 5pm, closing. This could be due to Food & Wine or it could be because we went to Epcot every evening that we noticed. The other annoying part about the buses (though this happens at other resorts too) is that there are 6 or 7 internal stops within CBR. Buses were a problem for us for 2 reasons. One, because we went back for DD's afternoon nap each day so it felt like we lost a lot of time waiting. And two, because we had some bad luck (must have kept missing them because we always waited 15-20 minutes or more).
The pool looked nice (didn't try it) and mousekeeping varied from excellent to satisfactory during our stay.

Ok all my wonderful CBR friends; I have a question and need some advice and input. We have always stayed in Preferred Rooms at CBR and for the most part we've gotten Martinique 26 which we love, we were placed in North Trinidad 33 once and it was ok. So, now we have a trip planned for next August as a BounceBack with Free Dining again, and this time we will be staying 11 nights, 12 days. I'm getting to the point of this I promise. We (me and DDs) love the look of Jamaica and we are wondering how much we will miss the closeness of OPR and the main pool. At Martinique 26 it is just about a 2-3 minute walk, and both my DDs swim without us right there; they are teenaged and tweenaged. So, being close is a nice convenience. Switching to the Standard room will save me $300+ over a 11 night vacation. I don't know what to do, the money won't break the bank, but it sure would buy a few Dole Whips, if you know what I mean. Please help me sort this all out, I just can't decide. Oh, and we also have thought about Martinique 24 as an option too. So, please give me your thoughts. We are also tossing around the idea of CSR with the Queen Size beds, and staying Standard there. We just don't know what to do, we love CBR's food court and the kids are comfortable there, but also are willing (and 1 DD wants) to try something new. Ok, I've rambled enough now!!! :lmao:

Ok all my wonderful CBR friends; I have a question and need some advice and input. We have always stayed in Preferred Rooms at CBR and for the most part we've gotten Martinique 26 which we love, we were placed in North Trinidad 33 once and it was ok. So, now we have a trip planned for next August as a BounceBack with Free Dining again, and this time we will be staying 11 nights, 12 days. I'm getting to the point of this I promise. We (me and DDs) love the look of Jamaica and we are wondering how much we will miss the closeness of OPR and the main pool. At Martinique 26 it is just about a 2-3 minute walk, and both my DDs swim without us right there; they are teenaged and tweenaged. So, being close is a nice convenience. Switching to the Standard room will save me $300+ over a 11 night vacation. I don't know what to do, the money won't break the bank, but it sure would buy a few Dole Whips, if you know what I mean. Please help me sort this all out, I just can't decide. Oh, and we also have thought about Martinique 24 as an option too. So, please give me your thoughts. We are also tossing around the idea of CSR with the Queen Size beds, and staying Standard there. We just don't know what to do, we love CBR's food court and the kids are comfortable there, but also are willing (and 1 DD wants) to try something new. Ok, I've rambled enough now!!! :lmao:

We have stayed in Jamaica 41 twice and Martinique three times (twice in preferred and once in non-preferred). Our walk from Jamaica 41 (the furthest building) to Old Port Royale took about 5 minutes at a leisurely pace. When we stayed in the non-preferred Martinique building, it took us about 5 minutes too.

For our next trip, we aren't going to make any requests (other than downstairs if my 76 year old mother goes with us). I'm actually hoping that they put us in another village just so we can have a different feel of the resort.

As far as the CSR goes, we have thought about staying there too. But, I just don't know if we'd like the food court and I wonder about the convention "feel".

I'm just going to copy and paste my post from a couple of days ago:

I had a water view reservation and requested building 45 or 51. I ended up with room 4557. I don't think I could have picked a better room location myself. It was a second-floor corner room (so extra window and a great view of the lake and Caribbean Cay), about as close to the foot of the bridge as can be (so real short walk to OPR), and right around the bend to the ice machine. We were also extremely close to Jamaica's beach area and quiet pool/laundry. According to Disney, water view can mean either a view of the lake or a view of the pool (which no one would prefer). Building 45 is not next to the pool, so if you get a room in 45 it will be a lake view. I think a water view reservation with a request for building 45 or 51 is better than a preferred room reservation. It's the same upcharge, but if you get either of those building (not guaranteed, I know), you'll probably end up with a shorter walk to OPR than some preferred rooms and have a great view.

Personally I think paying for a water view room is a waste. You could have a view of a quiet pool, you might have to crane your neck to see a view of the water from your room.

If you want to be sure you don't have a long walk to get to the main pool or food court then I would book preferred. If you don't mind the walk then just get a standard room. I don't find the walk bad but enjoy being close to the pool and food court.

You can request a location but it isn't guaranteed.

I'm just going to copy and paste my post from a couple of days ago:

I had a water view reservation and requested building 45 or 51. I ended up with room 4557. I don't think I could have picked a better room location myself. It was a second-floor corner room (so extra window and a great view of the lake and Caribbean Cay), about as close to the foot of the bridge as can be (so real short walk to OPR), and right around the bend to the ice machine. We were also extremely close to Jamaica's beach area and quiet pool/laundry. According to Disney, water view can mean either a view of the lake or a view of the pool (which no one would prefer). Building 45 is not next to the pool, so if you get a room in 45 it will be a lake view. I think a water view reservation with a request for building 45 or 51 is better than a preferred room reservation. It's the same upcharge, but if you get either of those building (not guaranteed, I know), you'll probably end up with a shorter walk to OPR than some preferred rooms and have a great view.

Just wanted to say, I stayed in this same room in July, second floor corner room in Jamaica building 45. Best room I have ever had, water view of the lake, right next to the bridge to the main pool and so close to the quiet pool.

Best part was, I got this room as a free room upgrade :) CBR is a great resort.

I would go standard and request Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51. Both are excellent locations and under 5 minutes to OPR. My kids have never complained or thought it was a long walk at all. Quite the opposite actually, they love that little scenic walk over the bridge & island! :goodvibes

We stayed at CSR once and don't care to go back. It didn't really feel like Disney to us. We hated the food court and it felt more geared towards adults and conventioneers, than to families.

If you are looking for something new I would recommend POR. It is our 2nd favorite resort (CBR being first) and offers nice lush grounds and a relaxing feel like CBR, plus has a great food court!

If you do have bus issues, simply pick up the phone in the bus stop. There's on in every CBR bus stop. Complain and they will send more buses.
Thanks much for pointing out this information about the bus stop phones- I haven't really seen anyone else mention this when talking about the bus situation at CBR.

Thanks much for pointing out this information about the bus stop phones- I haven't really seen anyone else mention this when talking about the bus situation at CBR.

You're welcome. The only time I have ever seen anyone use them was on our Downtown Disney day. There were two ladies waiting to go to Typhoon Lagoon (DTD and TL share buses sometimes) and said they had been waiting almost 20 minutes. They used the phone and complained about the wait. A bus came in no time at all.

We are staying at CBR in April and I'm really glad we are driving and have a car. The only time we will use the bus service is when we go to MK. I am concerned though with the stories of the rouge pizza delivery men. That is totally unacceptable, and Disney really should do something about it.

What is the most effective ways of requesting a particular area/floor/room? I've read where just calling the regular Disney line is not the most effective. So I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if there are 1/2 gallons of milk available in the OPR grab and go area? We are bringing other breakfast items with us for the room, but I don't want to mess with trying to keep milk cold enough on our trip :).

What is the most effective ways of requesting a particular area/floor/room? I've read where just calling the regular Disney line is not the most effective. So I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks.

Did you book directly? Or through a travel agent (TA)? If you used an agent they should handle putting that on your reservation for you.

If you booked yourself, then I think you need to call back reservations & make sure they add your request. I've also heard people say to call the resort direclty a few days before you arrive to re-confirm your request.

Personally we've always uesed a TA & never had a problem w/our requests.

Does anyone know if there are 1/2 gallons of milk available in the OPR grab and go area? We are bringing other breakfast items with us for the room, but I don't want to mess with trying to keep milk cold enough on our trip :).

Yes they do. But its not in the grab and go area. Its in the part where they sell t-shirts and hats and etc. I was surprised, I didn't even know that existed back there. They also have all sorts of grocery items too.

Yes they do. But its not in the grab and go area. Its in the part where they sell t-shirts and hats and etc. I was surprised, I didn't even know that existed back there. They also have all sorts of grocery items too.

I believe that would be Calypso's.

We are checking into CBR on Sunday for the first time. It was originally me, DH and one of our friends. Last minute we have added one of my other friends to the reservation and the 4 of us will be sharing a room. She won't want to sleep in the bed with DH's friend. Is there a way we can request something for her like a cot or something? Thanks

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe they have cots at CBR (since you're not supposed to have more than 4 in a room) - nor is there really room for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter