Caribbean Beach FAQ part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell me if there are frozen drinks available for the refillable mugs? My DD loves them and I haven't seen it mentioned at this resort.

Thanks

I don't think any of the resorts have them anymore. For a long time Pop had them but they took them out over a year ago.

We are staying at CBR from 12/16-12/22. Before we left for our last trip I searched online and found a layout of Pop Century that included room numbers, so I knew exactly what rooms I wanted to request. I have looked for one for CBR but I can't find one anywhere. I have read other TR's and I found the exact room I wanted, but we want 2 connecting rooms, and I don't know what the other # is. The one is #5102. If I had a map I could see what other rooms have the same features, so I wouldn't need to ask for a specific room #...

Just got home from being at the world from the 13-19. Stayed in Barbados bldg 11, did not get my requests for Aruba or Jamaica. Looking back, I should have pushed them for something else, but it was pretty close to the bus stop, so I went with it. Room was reasonably clean. No signs of bedbugs. We got one towel animal. The construction on the island is done and they put in the most AWESOME play ground! It was just perfect for my three year olds! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Had dinner at Shutters one night, and would definitely eat there again- probably the best service we had and the food was pretty good, especially the kids' meals. I think it was by far one of the better options/value, although we were on the DDP. Glad to be back home--- I love being in the world, but man, touring with two three year olds wears you out! The buses were ok. THere was one night it took us an hour and a half to get to dinner at the Grand Floridian, so that was kinda crummy. We've always had a car in the past, so this was our first time using the buses, and honestly will probably be our last. It's just so much quicker to have your own car. Overall, it was a good trip! Who knows when we'll be back... but hopefully it won't be too terribly long! ;)

Pictures of the new playground on Caribbean Cay.

DSC_2473.jpg

DSC_2461.jpg

DSC_2459.jpg

DSC_2445.jpg

DSC_2440.jpg

DSC_2436.jpg

DSC_2434.jpg

DSC_2430.jpg

We are staying at CBR from 12/16-12/22. Before we left for our last trip I searched online and found a layout of Pop Century that included room numbers, so I knew exactly what rooms I wanted to request. I have looked for one for CBR but I can't find one anywhere. I have read other TR's and I found the exact room I wanted, but we want 2 connecting rooms, and I don't know what the other # is. The one is #5102. If I had a map I could see what other rooms have the same features, so I wouldn't need to ask for a specific room #...

The problem with asking for a specific # room is that if they can't give it to you for whatever reason, they don't know what else to give you. If you can find a way to specify your criterias (i.e corner room, close to bus stop, close to pool, whatever), it might give you a better chance of getting something you like.

The problem with asking for a specific # room is that if they can't give it to you for whatever reason, they don't know what else to give you. If you can find a way to specify your criterias (i.e corner room, close to bus stop, close to pool, whatever), it might give you a better chance of getting something you like.

Good point... Hmmm so is it worth it to fax in a request? I know Pop pays attention to them, but I have no idea about CBR.

Good point... Hmmm so is it worth it to fax in a request? I know Pop pays attention to them, but I have no idea about CBR.

Last year we phoned in a few days before and gave our request that way. We had asked for Aruba and top floor, and got both requests. :goodvibes

It's just that the most specific you make your request, the most chance you risk them not being able to honor it.

Last year we phoned in a few days before and gave our request that way. We had asked for Aruba and top floor, and got both requests. :goodvibes

It's just that the most specific you make your request, the most chance you risk them not being able to honor it.

cool thanks!

I just got home from a week at the CBR (Nov 14-21). It was my first stay at this resort (previously stayed at Poly, GF, and offsite at Vistana) and was there with my 40% off pin code (Yeah!). Having no clue about this property, I made no room requests at all. We were assigned room 3251 (North Trinidad B32, water front, 2nd floor). After looking at the first post in this thread, it seems we were placed in a preferred building at no extra charge?

The resort seemed very QUIET (as in a lot of vacant rooms, but all 4 parks were empty too!!! No wait longer than 5 min for most rides except Soarin' and TSM, of course). We spent a lot of time at the main pool and didn't think there were many kids there. The line for the slides were virtually non-existent. I have pictures of the main pool from friday nov 19 (just after lunch) that show how empty it was (if I can figure out how to post them!). No thoughts on the bus as we used rental car to get around. (got a Prius...hybrids are SO different than gasoline-only cars).

Not surprisingly, the CBR room was a lot smaller than those at the Poly, but it was well-designed with good storage spaces for our stuff and I liked the bathroom area design with curtain. I didn't like that the food court at Port Royale closed at 11 pm (apparently closing time is seasonal), and 2 of the food stations would be closed during non-peak food times. Maid service seemed just fine and we got 2 towel animals on our 6th day only. Also, I agree that the location of the internet cable is terrible, and the line is too short! We need wi-fi!

Finally, I really liked the location of the CBR. It was super close to DHS and Epcot, and not far from AK, MK, and DTD. Everything except MK seemed far away from the poly.

Here's hoping for another pin code for 2011!!!

I just got home from a week at the CBR (Nov 14-21). It was my first stay at this resort (previously stayed at Poly, GF, and offsite at Vistana) and was there with my 40% off pin code (Yeah!). Having no clue about this property, I made no room requests at all. We were assigned room 3251 (North Trinidad B32, water front, 2nd floor). After looking at the first post in this thread, it seems we were placed in a preferred building at no extra charge?

The resort seemed very QUIET (as in a lot of vacant rooms, but all 4 parks were empty too!!! No wait longer than 5 min for most rides except Soarin' and TSM, of course). We spent a lot of time at the main pool and didn't think there were many kids there. The line for the slides were virtually non-existent. I have pictures of the main pool from friday nov 19 (just after lunch) that show how empty it was (if I can figure out how to post them!). No thoughts on the bus as we used rental car to get around. (got a Prius...hybrids are SO different than gasoline-only cars).

Not surprisingly, the CBR room was a lot smaller than those at the Poly, but it was well-designed with good storage spaces for our stuff and I liked the bathroom area design with curtain. I didn't like that the food court at Port Royale closed at 11 pm (apparently closing time is seasonal), and 2 of the food stations would be closed during non-peak food times. Maid service seemed just fine and we got 2 towel animals on our 6th day only. Also, I agree that the location of the internet cable is terrible, and the line is too short! We need wi-fi!

Finally, I really liked the location of the CBR. It was super close to DHS and Epcot, and not far from AK, MK, and DTD. Everything except MK seemed far away from the poly.

Here's hoping for another pin code for 2011!!!

Thanks for the review! CBR is our favorite! :thumbsup2

Safetymom, thank you for posting pictures of the new playscape! It looks awesome. :thumbsup2

When you say you phoned in, did you call the WDW travel company or try to get a direct line to the resort?

Thought I would share our experience at CBR. I requested Martinique 22, 23 and Jamaica 45 in that order, and I was happy that we got Martinique 23. And we also got a first floor room, which I also requested.

I did online check in and spent all of maybe 1 minute waiting for someone to check us in and 1 minute checking in. And that is at most, it might have taken even less time. It was awesome.

We were super happy that our room was ready at 10am. We got there and it looked nice. Alot of storage and my DH loved the tv. My DM did not like no coffee maker, it was missing. But she found a mousekeeper close by and asked for one and we got a brand new one just handed to us. Which was great, but then the box never got thrown away from our room. It was still there even on our last day.

Along that same line, our mousekeeping wasn't that good at all. Not one towel animal, I know not a requirement, but one would have been nice. We never got 4 washcloths, even though there were 4 of us in the room. And back to the trash, not only did they never get rid of the coffee maker box, but they wouldn't get rid of obvious trash on the nightstand. Like empty wrappers. Now most of the times, we did put things in the trash, but sometimes, stuff was left on the nightstand or other table and low and behold it stayed there. Now I can see not throwing away my half a bag of cracker jacks, I might still want it. But an empty wrapper or a tissue.

We also had a stain on our blanket and on the dust ruffle, we didn't notice it until half way through the trip. We didn't say anything, because it was at the bottom, so it was not a real issue, but others might have a problem.

We went without a lightbulb in one of our lights for most of the trip. Again we didn't report it, it didn't bother us, but you would have thought that someone would have noticed it when cleaning the room.

I think all that our mousekeeper did was make the beds, take out trash (that was in the can), take out towels (from the floor only of course), and give us new towels and a few times new soaps and shampoo, but never alot. And as far as the towels, one time we left one on the sink area over the ice bucket. Which actually needed to be replaced, but we forgot to put it on the ground. So of course she didn't move it and didn't do anything to the ice bucket at all. It wasn't emptied and no new bag was given for it.

So all in all I was not impressed by mousekeeping at all. And we typically stay at the value resorts, never at a deluxe, so we aren't comparing it to say mousekeeping at the poly or something like that. One last thing about that, one time the bed was so messy that my DM commented on it and it looked like something I would do, and I rarely make my bed. It was not good at all.

The buses were okay. We were typically the first stop on and off, so that was nice, but it also meant alot of waiting on the bus as it goes to every stop. We typically waited 5-10 minutes. Maybe 15 at most, but then you add 10 min for the bus to finally leave the resort.

The walk wasn't that bad, but we kept getting lost for some reason. First time swimming we meant to go to our pool and ended up at Barbados I think. Of course without towels, because I hadn't read that you need towels at the smaller village pools. My mistake. I loved the big pool area, but after a long day, even the 10 minute walk just seemed too far (we walk slowly). So we actually drove.

All in all it's a nice resort. Loved the hot tub, zero entry pool and the kid's pirate pool area. But this resort is not my fav. In fact my DH and I both have liked our stay at ASMovies the best. We have stayed at all 4 values and CBR and CSR.

Hope I haven't left anything off. If you have any questions, just ask away.

Safetymom, thank you for posting pictures of the new playscape! It looks awesome. :thumbsup2

When you say you phoned in, did you call the WDW travel company or try to get a direct line to the resort?

The number listed goes to a call center that answers as the resort you are trying to call. But doesn not go there directly. It is best to put your request right in with your reservation right away.

Along that same line, our mousekeeping wasn't that good at all. Not one towel animal, I know not a requirement, but one would have been nice. We never got 4 washcloths, even though there were 4 of us in the room. And back to the trash, not only did they never get rid of the coffee maker box, but they wouldn't get rid of obvious trash on the nightstand. Like empty wrappers. Now most of the times, we did put things in the trash, but sometimes, stuff was left on the nightstand or other table and low and behold it stayed there. Now I can see not throwing away my half a bag of cracker jacks, I might still want it. But an empty wrapper or a tissue.

Ok, please forgive me if I offend anyone here, but it is not the mousekeepers job to pick up a snotty, dirty tissue off of a table. It is the responsibility of the person who used it to place it in a proper trash can. I think expecting a mousekeeper to do that is a bit over the top. And along those lines, throw your empty wrappers in the can as well. I would never expect anyone to pick up like that behind me.

I think all that our mousekeeper did was make the beds, take out trash (that was in the can), take out towels (from the floor only of course), and give us new towels and a few times new soaps and shampoo, but never alot.

This is her job, taking out the trash that is placed in the can. I'm sorry, but they do not need to pick up everything behind you.

This is her job, taking out the trash that is placed in the can. I'm sorry, but they do not need to pick up everything behind you.

I agree, that yes we should put our trash in the trashcan. But at least in my past hotel/resort visits, housekeeping does tend to throw things away that are left around the room. I guess I have grown to expect them to do that. Maybe a wrong expectation. I'm just stating what they did and didn't do. There might be people like you who don't expect it, and would have thought our mousekeeper was good. And there are some people who would expect it along with expecting towel animals and expecting even more than we did. And those people would think our mousekeeper wasn't good. That is why I was very specific about what I said, so that anyone reading this would be able to compare it to what they expect from their housekeeping.

I believe it was a direct line to the resort. I don't remember where I got the phone number though. It might have been in the Unofficial Guide...

They did make it clear that it was just a request and that it wasn't sure it would be what I would end up with. But it worked. :goodvibes

ETA. I just saw jenseib's post that it goes to a call center. Possible. I wouldn't be able to tell. As for putting it on the reservation, I don't know how you do that???

I believe it was a direct line to the resort. I don't remember where I got the phone number though. It might have been in the Unofficial Guide...

They did make it clear that it was just a request and that it wasn't sure it would be what I would end up with. But it worked. :goodvibes

ETA. I just saw jenseib's post that it goes to a call center. Possible. I wouldn't be able to tell. As for putting it on the reservation, I don't know how you do that???

I booked through Disney, so I called the regular Disney Travel number and put my request on my reservation. Then about 5 days before our arrival, I called the resort directly. I used the number posted at the beginning of this thread. I asked that I was just verifying that they had my request and they did have it. Now I assumed that I was calling the resort directly, but I might not have been. But I got my request and when I mentioned it at check in that I got my request, the lady said well yes you did, looking at something. So it wasn't like I got my request by accident, they did actually have it on file.

All in all it's a nice resort. Loved the hot tub, zero entry pool and the kid's pirate pool area. But this resort is not my fav. In fact my DH and I both have liked our stay at ASMovies the best. We have stayed at all 4 values and CBR and CSR.

Hi. Thank you for such a detailed review. Here are my questions for you:

1) Now that you've been there, if you had to do it over again, would you have requested differently on the room location?

2) Can you tell me why you like ASMovies the best? And why you prefer it over the other value resorts? My only experience with Value was Pop and we loved it. But I like variety and have thought about switching to one of the All-Stars on our next budget trip.

3) And, in all the times you stayed at the All-Stars, did you see many big groups there? From all the reading I've done, it seems that is where they are booked. I've never heard anyone complain about big groups staying at Pop. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter