CARES harness or regular seatbelt

ladyv

Mouseketeer
Gosh, I'm sorry. I feel like the only thing I've posted over and over on this board over the past couple of months are airplane or stroller questions!

I bought a seat on the plane for our toddler (will be 20 months when we go). We have decided not to bring a car seat. The question now is can we just use the airplane seat belt or should I buy/rent a CARES harness?

DS is:
-pretty laid back/cautious and not overly (for a 1 year old) hyper active or a super Houdini type kid.
-36 inches at his 18 month appt - so quite tall for his age. Almost 28 lbs.

The plane ride is:
-Direct flight both there and back, almost 3 hours long.

Whaddya think? Seat belt? Or pony up the cash for the harness?

We just came back from WDW July 24. We took our two daughters, ages 3 years and 21 months. We rented CARES on Ebay. Best thing we did for the oldest one. My oldest was wonderful! Now my youngest was a little busy. She was moving around. And even with the airplane belt as tight as it could go, she figured a way out of the seat belt/CARES. We flew Southwest so the seats are leather. The lapbelt didn't get as tight as we needed it to. She she was able to wiggle around and slide out.

You might want to consider taking a car seat.
Hope this helps,

I agree. For a 20mo old a car seat would be my first choice. To buy a lightweight travel seat (Cosco Scenera) would cost $50 (or less, they go on sale frequently).

And thumbs up to you for getting your little one their own seat!

We used CARES with my son and he was still all over the place. We are bringing our carseat this time. :)

My opinion - and it's just that, an opinion is to go with the CARES harness. We used it when DD was right at 20 mo. and I just liked the fact that because it was over her shoulders as well, it kept her more stationary in the seat - like her normal car seat would. She's now almost 4 and we are going lap belt only this time.

Whichever way you choose I would just be sure that when you or child are in your seats, wear your seatbelt - regardless of whether the "seatbelt sign" is on or not.

I used the CARES harness on my then 18m old when the plane wasnt full a few weeks ago and he fit just fine and the plane seatbelts on SWA tightened down great. he fell asleep just like in his carseat. My son is 34in and 26lbs

A Carseat would be your best bet but if you really dont want to bring one, def get the CARES. The lapbelts on the plane are only really useful when a child reaches 40lbs.
im happy you got him a seat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter