Careers at Disney

HeatherT

Earning My Ears
My dh found a job posting within the Finance Dept of WDW that he is VERY interested in. He'd like to send his resume to a specific person, any idea how we can find this info? We've tried calling the main 828-1000 number, to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions how he can get his foot in the door? (I'd love to move to FL if he was working for Disney)!

Thanks,
Heather

1) Send your resume to Professional Staffing.
2) List the job to which you are applying.
3) Fax to

Walt Disney World Resort
P.O. Box 10090
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Job No.:__________
Fax: (407) 828-1571

Good luck... I've never gotten so much as a response from any of the positions I've applied for at Disney. (And some of them I was perfectly qualified for).

Nette, I know the feeling. I have submitted resume after resume and gotten no more than a thanks for applying email.

:(

With all the cut backs going on at Disney, I would say it would be hard to get a position down there. There is an interesting book entitled: Disney the Mouse Betrayed written by two investigative journalists, Peter and Rochelle Schweizer. You'll read about some interesting reasons why Disney is cuttng back on help. They are trying to get away with as few people as possible. You know the drill, less people doing more work. :( You can get the book at the library.

Originally posted by mitros
With all the cut backs going on at Disney, I would say it would be hard to get a position down there. There is an interesting book entitled: Disney the Mouse Betrayed written by two investigative journalists, Peter and Rochelle Schweizer. You'll read about some interesting reasons why Disney is cuttng back on help. They are trying to get away with as few people as possible. You know the drill, less people doing more work. :( You can get the book at the library.

It's not only Disney, but corporate America.

I have heard that Disney uses a software that scans their resumes. So the wording in a resume must be done to accomadate this method. It is programmed to look for certain "buzz words" that they have assigned to the each particular job title.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Paula

"Disney, the Mouse Betrayed" was published in September 1998. This was pre-9/11, and only a few months after Frank Wells died. All of what the Schweizers researched took place during the Michael & Frank years, when the majority of people actually liked the changes they were making and approved of the team who was running the company. Their research, such as it is, has no bearing on why the company is cutting back now. It was written and researched in a whole different world.

:earsboy:

OK, I'm a little confused. Did you read the book yourself? I'm only on page 150, which is roughly half way through.. I'm a little curious as to who it was that actually liked the changes made during that time period. The stuff in the book so far is pretty frightening, and I can't imagine who would be pleased with what was taking place. I also never really bought into the length of time that 9/11 affected business at Disney. Living so close to the resort, we make quite a few trips and for the first year things were a little slow, but after that first year, we did not notice any huge drop in the amount of guests visiting the resorts.

OK, I'm a little confused. Did you read the book yourself? I'm only on page 150, which is roughly half way through.. I'm a little curious as to who it was that actually liked the changes made during that time period. The stuff in the book so far is pretty frightening, and I can't imagine who would be pleased with what was taking place. I also never really bought into the length of time that 9/11 affected business at Disney. Living so close to the resort, we make quite a few trips and for the first year things were a little slow, but after that first year, we did not notice any huge drop in the amount of guests visiting the resorts.
Yes, I did read the book myself. I read it when it was written, and it still sits on my book shelf. You need to remember that the information in the book is based on the research and opinions of two people. Ask two other people to review and analyze the same info and you'll get a different viewpoint.

My point was that whether everything in the book is true and substantiated or not, it was written six years ago. Take the info for what it is, but don't assume that simply because something was affecting the company six years ago, that the same thing is happening now.

The authors are also listing isolated incidents. And some of those they had to stretch to prove. Not to mention ... they give us nothing to compare to. Did they use the same scrutiny on Six Flags? Sea World? Universal? Dollywood? No. They said, "Let's write an expose on Disney," and set out to do that. And because there's nothing to compare their info to, people read it and get all up in arms. But I'll bet if they did a similar expose on any other entertainment company, they'd find the same thing, and probably much more. Anyone who's taken a beginning journalism class can tell you how to take a sparse amount of facts and turn them into a damaging story.

The book means very little without some industry perspective and without a timely update.

:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter