Career/s where to start from scratch and best planning tips?

tyekynan

Earning My Ears
HELLOOOOOOO DISboards!
this is indeed my first post, my name is tye of course. I am from kentucky, am a huge fan of disney and i have a few questions that i feel this forum may help me the best to answer.

I have been to college for automotive collision repair/ custom automotive paints/ and custom metal fabrication.

BUT! it has been my life long dream to work at WDW and i realize their are tons of jobs i could go for.....

I am planning on attending college again but this time i would love a degree in Computer Science. Although, i want to keep it in an IT (computer) related field. My first question is.

What are some great paying jobs does Disney have to offer in this field?

I am also not going to be completely particular about a job, i am 23 years old and i have the greatest 3 year old boy this world has to offer, i am married. SO! money is my main concern.

Are there better fields to go into for say Imagineering or Technical Fields that disney has to offer for the money?

How do i find what kind of schooling i would need to get into a postion like this?

What about the college program and how does it work extactly (or where can i get information in this subject?)?

I'm no insider by any means, but its my understanding that for imagineering, you should have an engineering degree. Mechanical or electrical would probably be the most appropriate. Civil engineering would be good too in terms of designing structures and any future expansion. Since practically everything is runned by computers nowadays, Computer Science might be a good field too in regards to that. As far as $ goes, I have no idea, so you definitely need an insider for that. Also, idk if they sometimes hire outside engineers to do certain things, but I would think Disney would use their own engineers as much as possible. Once again, ask an insider for more info. In regards to the College Program, I think what you're looking for is a professional internship with engineering. Now idk about that field, but I know for some professional internships, they require that you do the College Program first. Since you do have a family to feed, I would hope engineering doesn't require that, but idk.

But in any case, engineering and computer science would all be nice jobs for $. So go with whichever field you feel more comfortable in, not just the one that gives the most $.

if its creativity, im comfortable.

marketing, architecture, computer audio, graphic design, web design, art.... i take a dab in it all and love it. Money is a big issue, me and the wife can budget well, but man o' man do we have expensive taste.

I really appreciate your reply, now if i could just find me an insider.

if its creativity, im comfortable.

marketing, architecture, computer audio, graphic design, web design, art.... i take a dab in it all and love it. Money is a big issue, me and the wife can budget well, but man o' man do we have expensive taste.

I really appreciate your reply, now if i could just find me an insider.

Then I must warn you that computer science might not be the way to go. I know A LOT of friends who love the things you just said. They love to design websites, make their own html and java codes, make their own computer games, art, etc. They get into computer science and they all get disappointed. The keywords here are software vs hardware. All the things I mentioned above have to do with software. Computer science on the other hand, deals with hardware. So my friends get into the program, and find out it has hardly any creativity at all, and its just all about math. Its all about making better hardware, not necessarily designing software.

Engineering on the other hand is a bit more creative, but just be aware that the focus is on making things work, not necessarily if it's artistic and pretty. Then again, that's the beauty of Disney. They not only demand that it works, but they also want it to be pretty and artistic. That's the difference right there in roller coasters. All the other parks just build a coaster that works. Disney doesn't just build a coaster, they build a coaster that looks pretty. They build coasters inside of mountains. So I think engineering might be better suited for you.

And another thing, don't make the mistake I made (and others too) of equalizing civil engineering with architecture. For the longest time I wanted to be an architect as a kid. But my local university didn't have an architecture degree, so I went into civil engineering thinking it would be the same thing.....wrong. I didn't feel right. I felt that I needed something that unleashed my creativity better. Then (when I was working at an engineering summer camp for high school students of all places) an architect came in to give a motivational talk. And he basically made the same mistake I did. He was miserable in civil engineering, but he found out architecture was more his thing. Now he's a successful architect in the city and works with the civil engineers all the time. That architect was instrumental in getting me to change my major. He made me realize where it was I went wrong. As for myself, architecture no longer interested me, but by then I had a love affair with film and video that had been going on for years....so...I switched majors to electronic media, and today I feel great!

Good luck dude :thumbsup2

thank you so much, i had picked computer science because i love building/upgrading my rigs (computers).... i told you, i dab into everything....
its just a habbit.... i start messing with something and then want to know how to do every little aspect..... it kills me if i don't figure it all out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter