Care to share your energy bill from the deep freeze?

I'd be more than happy to share my energy bill with you. What's your address so I can send it to you for payment. :duck:

Ours hasn't changed much. We have a guest bedroom and full bath on our 1st floor which has propane heat and have moved to it for the winter and then just keep our upstairs at the bare minimum since it has a heat pump and our bedroom is directly over the garage and you can feel the cold air on the floor. So for 4600 sq ft we pay $200 in electric and $800 about every 45 days for propane. I hope to have the foam insulation put into our garage so that will make a huge difference and I can enjoy my master bedroom again.

129 year old Victorian in SW Pennsylvania. January's gas bill was $271 ($50 more than our usual winter monthly bill) and the electric bill was $121 ($40 more than usual) About what I expected, especially since we were running space heaters near pipes.

We have a 2800 square foot, 12 year old house in MA. Oil is currently costing us about $725 every 5 weeks. We don't have a year round plan, and we still use some oil in the summer because it also heats our hot water. We need about 8 fill-ups per year. During the winter, we keep it at 59 degrees at night, and 62 in the daytime. I also have a small, electric space heater that I use sometimes.

Our electric bill averages about $110 per month.

They are both heated with natural gas. The larger home has a single boiler system which heats the water, the radiant in floor heat in the lower level and the forced air in the upper level....it is also passive solar. The smaller home is a regular high efficiency forced air system.

The real secret is 2x6 construction with massive amounts of insulation. If our homes in California has been built this well, we never would have had to run the heat. I have always thought that better construction and more insulation is the low hanging fruit in energy conservation. It's such a waste to see all these huge energy bills in places that are MUCH warmer than Minnesnowta.

I built a house, my first, back in 1984 and had it built with 2X6 studs.
I wish everyone I have bought houses from (since) did the same!

Our gas bill was $99, haven't gotten the electric bill yet (we have a heat pump for milder temps).

I think I win so far (or lose, really:)). Got our most recent bill while at Disney. $701. Our entire house is electric (we don't have natural gas in our area - only other option is converting to oil or propane). We keep the thermostat at 68 in winter and 72 in summer. The house is about 3500 square feet. During the summer, even when it's 95+ outside, the bill rarely gets higher than 175. So it's the heating that does it. We've added insulation to the attic, which has helped a bit. We also turn off the heated drying feature on the dishwasher, which shaved off about $50 per month, if you can believe it (we're a family of six, so it gets run a great deal).

I also have total electric. I paid $700 for January. I have an older 2 story, 3 bedroom, office, family room house with really drafty windows. We are in central Indiana. I have plastic over my windows, blankets blocking off the office and over the back door. I'm really, really done with winter :)

In central Illinois my gas/electric bill was $225 actual reading from January 2 until February 2 so quite a bit of the cold weather. I have a 1200 square foot house that is about 60 years old, we keep the temp at 68 when we are home 63 during the day while at work/school and 58 for sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter