Cardinals, Thanks for a Great Season!

2MuchOhana

<font color=darkcoral>Need to figure that one out
Well, our Cardinals may not be going to The World Series but I want to say Thank-you for a Great Season!

I am sorry to see Busch Stadium go; but hopefully the Cards can make some wonderful new memories in their new stadium next year!

THANK-YOU CARDINALS!

Amen to that...what a great team. It stinks that the marathon has to come to such a bad end because of a crummy sprint, but thats the way the cookie always seems to crumble. At Least I can stand Biggo and Bagwell (unfortunatly Berkman makes me ill).

Best record in baseball for two straight years. That should mean something. I love being a redbirds fan, even if it hurts a lot right now.

At least now I can retain my friendship with my buddy who's a die hard Sox fan. I'll be rooting for them in the series (not out of spite of the 'stros, just because I like the way the sox play).

Here's to fantastic new memories at New Busch.

Jungle Josh

Jungle Skipper said:
Amen to that...what a great team. It stinks that the marathon has to come to such a bad end because of a crummy sprint, but thats the way the cookie always seems to crumble. At Least I can stand Biggo and Bagwell (unfortunatly Berkman makes me ill). Jungle Josh

WAHHHHHH WAHHH! No excuses about a bad sprint. Just admit the better team won! Cards were so last year....Astros are so THIS year!!!! LET'S GO 'STROS!!!

Adam

:rolleyes: Thanks Big Dude for showing why St. Louis Cardinals fans are a class act.

I must admitt that I'm sad to see the end of this season. I went to a baseball game in September and cried as I walked out of the stadium because I knew it would be the last time I was there. And I cried again tonight because it will no longer be filled with 55,000 + fans. I know the new ballpark will be nice, but it will never feel the way Busch Stadium feels. When you stand there and feel the history, and can remember sitting on your Daddy's knee while you watched the Wizard (Ozzie Smith) do a back flip. It is where the home run derby took place, and Mark hit 62 and then 70. It's where Daryl Kile played his last game, and where Joe Bucks funeral was held. And two of the greatest players to ever play Lou Brock and Bob Gibson made history. It is truly an end of an era and I'm so sad to see it go.

ozziefli2.jpg

ph_buck_120x100.jpg

im_kile_140x100.jpg

438.jpg

Lou%20GrayscaleCrop.jpg

Gibson_Bob_3.jpg

Go Crazy Folks, Go Crazy.
It's time to say good-bye to a great ball park - may the memories live on.

f1d009fa.jpg

~Amanda

septbride2002 said:
:rolleyes: Thanks Big Dude for showing why St. Louis Cardinals fans are a class act.

I must admitt that I'm sad to see the end of this season. I went to a baseball game in September and cried as I walked out of the stadium because I knew it would be the last time I was there. And I cried again tonight because it will no longer be filled with 55,000 + fans. I know the new ballpark will be nice, but it will never feel the way Busch Stadium feels. When you stand there and feel the history, and can remember sitting on your Daddy's knee while you watched the Wizard (Ozzie Smith) do a back flip. It is where the home run derby took place, and Mark hit 62 and then 70. It's where Daryl Kile played his last game, and where Joe Bucks funeral was held. And two of the greatest players to ever play Lou Brock and Bob Gibson made history. It is truly an end of an era and I'm so sad to see it go.

~Amanda

You summed it up nicely Amanda. Sorry you have to be such a sore winner there Big Dude...That was completely unnecessary, makes you look quite assinine.

Go White Sox.

Big Dude
WAHHHHHHH WAHHH! No excuses about a bad sprint. Just admit the better team won! Cards were so last year....Astros are so THIS year. LET'S Go 'STROS!!! Adam

You have your own threads. Why don't you hang out there? Your shameless gloating is not that attractive nor does it show you to be a good winner! I didn't start a thread to bash your team; but to say Thank-you to mine!

Jungle Josh:

We did have a great season! We have a lot to be proud of! Let your Cardinal colors fly High and Proud! We may not have the "Title" but we are Winners!

I'll be sad to see Busch Stadium go, too. Although for me it holds bitter sweet memories. In 1982 my (then) Milwaukee Brewers were defeated in Busch Stadium in the seventh game of the World Series. I was heart broken.

It's sad to see the older stadiums being torn down. I was angry when they torn down Milwaukee County Stadium. I had so many great memories there. I was very young but I still remember watching the great Hank Aaron play ball. I was even there for his very last career home run! Oh the memories!

I had been disenchanted with the Brewers for a while before moving to St. Louis; so a once Cardnial hater turned supporter! I haven't looked back since! I don't have as many memories at Busch Stadium; but I will miss it just the same.

HI all. No gloating here. You feel inside exactly like I did last year after game 7, so I'm not about to rub salt in that wound.

Good luck next year, and enjoy your new stadium :) Astros fans had a lot of good memories (and a few bad) from the Astrodome, but once it was in the rearview mirror we didn't look back. I actually was at the dome for Kile's No Hitter a few years ago. I saw Mike Scott pitch one of his last games there, a four hit, complete game shut out against the Mets. Once you're in your new stadium you won't miss Busch as much as you think you will. I got to see a game at Busch a few years ago when I was there on business. Glad I can add that to my list of baseball memories.

Jungle Skipper said:
Sorry you have to be such a sore winner there Big Dude...That was completely unnecessary, makes you look quite assinine.

You're right and I apologize. I was caught up in the moment last night and was completely out of line. No excuse for my "sore winner" attitude.

Congratulations Cardinals for having the best record in baseball for the past 2 years. Good luck next year in your new stadium.

Adam aka Big Dude

This was a great series!! & I will admit the Cards have AWSOME fans!! Hope you enjoy the new stadium, it hurt to leave the dome but all good things must come to an end with even better things in the future! Just think you get to make all new memories in a new stadium & get a fresh start (at least that's the way I look at it)

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...C417C7EBAA71E54E862570A0001C39C0?OpenDocument

By early Wednesday afternoon, another Cardinal Nation pilgrimage had already commenced infiltrating the wide promenades and tight, dusty construction walkways that ring old Busch Stadium. These were the typical faces of the Redbirds' expansive Midwestern empire; anxious young faces and sentimental old ones dressed in varying shades of scarlet and white, each one quietly treating this old gray lady like some precious touchstone.

They scribbled little love letters on every precious inch of Busch's pillars and walls. Some took pictures. Others simply lingered around, reverently touching the walls, caressing the statues or peeking through the openings near the centerfield gates trying to sneak an obscured view of the pristine playing field.

Yet now as a humid afternoon turned to breezy, nearly flawless autumn night, this special old ballpark was sprinkled with the devoted remnants of a sold-out crowd of 52,438 who were trying to cope with the painful reality of the National League Championship Series coming to an abrupt, non-storybook ending.

It was past 11 p.m., and the worst news of the night - a season-ending, stadium-closing, 5-1 loss that saw this NLCS conclude in a 4-games-to-1 rout by the Houston Astros - had vanished from all the stadium scoreboards. A night that started as an uplifting, old-fashioned Cardinal revival meeting and turned into a tearful, regrettable last call for 39-year-old Busch Stadium. Back in his clubhouse office, manager Tony La Russa was still dealing with media postmortems, when he was told that there were still several thousand fans in the stands still chanting "Let's Go CARD-NALS!"

"Really?" he said. "Hold on, I'll be right back."

He dashed into the back rooms of the clubhouse and soon, a steady stream of players came out and went back out through the dugout tunnel, climbed the dugout steps and in bare feet and flip flops greeted the crowd with gentle waves and appreciative applause.

"That was special," said pitcher Jeff Suppan when asked about the sight of all those cheering loyalists who could not go away. "St. Louis special."

The perfect script for Busch Stadium's final call would have been another trip to the World Series, an ideal way to cap off the final season in old Busch with a championship celebration. But Cardinal Nation will instead have to settle for a fitting ending that ultimately suits this revered old place to the T with its proper Midwestern sensibilities.

In the bottom of the ninth, with every failed swing of a Cardinal at-bat, camera flashes flickered to record what they hoped would be some 11th-hour miracle redux from Game 5 in Houston. But Larry Walker struck out, then John Mabry went down whiffing at a Dan Wheeler fast ball.

Then at 10:20 p.m., Mark Grudzielanek came to the plate.

First pitch - Strike looking.

Second pitch - Single to left. Hope.

Then Yadier Molina came to the plate.

First pitch. Last pitch.

Molina swung, lofted a fly ball to right field, right into the mitt of Houston's eagerly waiting Jason Lane.

End of the game.

End of the season.

End of Busch Stadium.

The crowd started to boo at the sight of another team celebrating on the precious grass of Busch Stadium for the second agonizing October in a row. But they caught themselves quickly. This still is Cardinal Nation, and even a sad ending wouldn't provoke these folks to show a rude dark side.

Instead, they stood and politely cheered the Astros, who were out in the middle of the field, reveling in the giddy satisfaction that all their previous postseason failures had finally ended. The Astros were bound for Chicago for a World Series duel with the American League champion White Sox.

Then they shifted their emphasis from being proper, dignified hosts, to being passionate, if not disappointed Cardinal lovers.

Most of the crowd couldn't bear to stay, but the 30,000 plus who did not stream out the gates stayed in the aisles, stood on their feet and exploded in a spontaneous "Let's go Cardinals" chant. They had arrived early, and they had every intention of staying late. Busch Stadium's doors were about to close forever, but not before this heartbroken crowd washed it thoroughly with a proper mix of tears and cheers.

By 11:30, more than an hour after the game, the crowd had thinned out, but the stubborn 500 or so who hung around the dugout, acted like they had no intention of leaving. On the infield grass, St. Louis police Sgt. Jim Welby looked at the crowd and smiled. "To be honest with you, I really don't care how long I'm here," he said. "I could stay here all night, too."

Just over his shoulder, you could see the dark silhouettes of large construction cranes peaking just above the upper rim of the stadium. In a few days, the wrecking balls will be attached to them, and this old baseball jewel will come tumbling down.

And just about then, those stubborn, passionate folks who stood behind the dugout, started another rhythmic chant.

"Hell no, we won't go! Hell no, we won't go!"

But they knew better. This night was over. This season was over. The doors were about to close.

And that is why St. Louis has the BEST fans in baseball!

Count me in as one of those fans that was standing there crying. The game certainly didn't go the way I had hoped and it certainly didn't help keep the tears away, but it was AWESOME to feel the energy in the crowd! Everyone spent most of the game on their feet - cheering, clapping, yelling, showing that St Louis Cardinals spirit. Trying to lift them to another victory.

We ARE the best fans in baseball!

Thanks for the memories, Busch Stadium! Thanks for another great year, Cardinals! I love this game!!!

I grew up in southern Illinois. Folks in southern IL almost universally cheer for the Cards rather than one of the Chicago teams. I hate to see Busch Stadium go. I admit that I'm in to retro stuff, but it just looks COOL to me. It was good to see it on TV last night.

geetey said:
Count me in as one of those fans that was standing there crying. The game certainly didn't go the way I had hoped and it certainly didn't help keep the tears away, but it was AWESOME to feel the energy in the crowd! Everyone spent most of the game on their feet - cheering, clapping, yelling, showing that St Louis Cardinals spirit. Trying to lift them to another victory.

We ARE the best fans in baseball!

Thanks for the memories, Busch Stadium! Thanks for another great year, Cardinals! I love this game!!!

Love the picture! The view of the arch is so cool. I'm at least glad that they're keeping the stadium downtown.

Big Dude said:
WAHHHHHH WAHHH! No excuses about a bad sprint. Just admit the better team won! Cards were so last year....Astros are so THIS year!!!! LET'S GO 'STROS!!!

Adam

Oh brother, I am not even a Cardinals fan (but was hoping they'd win), but now I am DEFINITELY pulling for the White Sox. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I also wanted to add it must be so exciting to have a good baseball team to cheer for (hopefully one of these years the Brewers will be decent again, though this year was a start!! haha). I was in St. Louis back in May and went to eat at TGIFriday's (I think it was pretty close to Busch Stadium) and just seeing all of the Cardinals memorabilia in there was pretty cool. :)

It was a great year (wish it had a different ending). :rolleyes:

I will really miss Busch stadium. It is sad to me that my kids will not have the memories that I did growing up.

Hopefully next year will be different... with a beautiful new stadium :confused3

Lots of memories for me too. I grew up just across the river in southern Illinois. DH and I had our first date at the age of 16 in Busch Stadium. I got Lou Brock's autograph as an excited 13 year old, standing on the walkway to the parking garage.

Jack Buck, Ozzie, Bob Gibson, Willie McGee and Vince Coleman, Darrell Porter, Tim McCarver - not to mention the new guys!!!! I'm proud that my kids have grown up with the same love for a great baseball city - with the greatest fans in the world! :wave2:

Any Cardinal fans out there thinking of getting a brick for the new stadium? I know I am at least thinking about it. Thought it might be a great way to start some new memories!

I have tossed the idea arounnd. Especially since we don't have a WDW brick. ;)

I hesitate because we already spent the money to get 2 seats from Busch (I hope we get RED ones!). DH isn't really interested in getting a brick.
All of this Busch stuff is really for me, since I grew up here and have all of the childhood memories.

Which one are you thinking of?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter