• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cardi B's New Song

I agree. My ex husband told me how his parents refused to get him The Chronic album by Dr. Dre when he was a kid. Or any Snoop Dog album. But he found ways to get it and listen to it in his room. They thought it would encourage smoking weed. My ex husband has never touched weed or any drug other than alcohol.
I grew up listening to death metal with my dad, and later Sublime and the like when I developed my own taste. I haven’t sacrificed any kittens or smoked much weed either 🤷🏻‍♀️

I can’t believe we’ve go this whole tread without mentioning Khia! My Neck, My Back????? Might even be more raunchy in my opinion. Not as catchy though 😬😂

I totally forgot about that song. I remember whenever that song would come on the radio, my mom would be so quick to switch to another station lol.

I had copies of 2 Live Crew and Too Short in middle school. This doesn't shock me and is nothing new. Listen to some early 90's Prince, or many rap artists 80's through today. There isn't anything Cardi B sings about that hasn't been already sung about (although usually by men from their perspective.). If you don't like it, don't listen. Like any of the other artists that have created explicit material in the past.

The only thing I don't like about this song is that the "censored" version is somehow dirtier! Aside from that I think it's nice to see women living their lives and making the art they want to, even if it isn't the art I would make.

What's funnier to me is that more than half of the song is edited out when its playing on the radio, and that's supposed to be the clean version. Why would you want to release a single that can't be played on radio and when it is, the edits disrupt the whole flow of the song.

What's worse is the 15 and 16 year olds dancing suggestively to this song on TikTok. Its the latest "trend" on that platform. Yikes.

What's funnier to me is that more than half of the song is edited out when its playing on the radio, and that's supposed to be the clean version. Why would you want to release a single that can't be played on radio and when it is, the edits disrupt the whole flow of the song.

What's worse is the 15 and 16 year olds dancing suggestively to this song on TikTok. Its the latest "trend" on that platform. Yikes.

I don’t think artists care so much about the radio anymore. The new generations don’t listen to the radio. They stream all of their music. Even at 37 most of my friends don’t bother with the radio.

I agree. My ex husband told me how his parents refused to get him The Chronic album by Dr. Dre when he was a kid. Or any Snoop Dog album. But he found ways to get it and listen to it in his room. They thought it would encourage smoking weed. My ex husband has never touched weed or any drug other than alcohol.

I remember being I would guess 12ish in the car with my dad when of all innocuous things, Blues Traveler’s Hook came on. It gets to the part where he starts singing somewhat quickly and my dad starts ranting about how I should never listen to music where I can’t understand the words because they put subliminal messages in songs to tell you to do drugs and kill yourself 😳😂

My dad is not insane (for the most part) not a conspiracy theorist of any kind. I don’t know if this was some weird agenda being pushed on the news at the time or dad with an almost teenage daughter gone weird but it was one of the “OMG why are parents so embarrassing” moments that stuck with me to adulthood that still makes me 🙄😂😂😂

I don’t think artists care so much about the radio anymore. The new generations don’t listen to the radio. They stream all of their music. Even at 37 most of my friends don’t bother with the radio.
I definitely agree streaming is more popular. But I would think radio play and even air time through other public mediums would still have some importance, and this song sounds terrible when its all edited up like that. But I guess she was going for shock value with this song, and it that worked at least!

You're talking 2 different things:

Releasing a track
A version being edited

Why would an artist NOT release a song when there are platforms out there that will play the song in its original form? Spotify for example has the original version and it's clearly labeled Explicit. Not only that but CDs. I mean I know CDs aren't really that big anymore but why would you not release a song that would be included in an album. You know it will be heard somewhere.

A song that is edited does NOT always means an artist specifically recorded that version. Bleeping out words or tracks changed that do not require the artist's voice (like in Cardi B's song the sample track used is changed on the word) are done.

You're talking 2 different things:

Releasing a track
A version being edited

Why would an artist NOT release a song when there are platforms out there that will play the song in its original form? Spotify for example has the original version and it's clearly labeled Explicit. Not only that but CDs. I mean I know CDs aren't really that big anymore but why would you not release a song that would be included in an album. You know it will be heard somewhere.

A song that is edited does NOT always means an artist specifically recorded that version. Bleeping out words or tracks changed that do not require the artist's voice (like in Cardi B's song the sample track used is changed on the word) are done.
The radio can't play the explicit version that Spotify can. I'm not saying she shouldn't release the song, but to choose it as a single that is released off her album is interesting since the song can't be heard as it was intended through the regulated mediums that singles are often released for.

Also, the edited version that Cardi B did record still has an excessive amount of bleeps/edit outs that I assume the radio station was forced to add in. When listening to it on the radio, it sounds silly.

The radio can't play the explicit version that Spotify can. I'm not saying she shouldn't release the song, but to choose it as a single that is released off her album is interesting since the song can't be heard as it was intended through the regulated mediums that singles are often released for.

Also, the edited version that Cardi B did record still has an excessive amount of bleeps/edit outs that I assume the radio station was forced to add in. When listening to it on the radio, it sounds silly.
I know the radio can't play the explicit version :)

When I said Spotify I was said why wouldn't she release a song that she knows the original version will be able to be played somewhere..Spotify (or any other platform that has the ability to play explicit lyrics without government requirements that say otherwise) is an example of that and so is people buying the actual CD (which I said CD's aren't very common these days but still). It's a song on her album, why wouldn't she release it? It'll get played somewhere. I'm honestly unaware of an edited version of a song actually hurting an artist's reputation/ability to sell/make money so I can't see a legit reason to hold back a single and actually not release it if an artist wants to.

When I talked about editing a song I was saying in general, artists don't always specifically record a separate version that is 'cleaner', as you said in general (at least it appeared that way) why would you release a song that can't be played on the radio. The radios can edit out what they need to. Artists legally don't have control over songs played on the radio. While there may be a 'cleaner' version of a song recorded (if that's done) the artist doesn't have control if that song is played on the radio. If you want to blame someone for the excessive bleeps and edits (which yes there are a lot) then blame the radio stations who likely knew that Cardi B will draw listeners and chose to play a song that required more extensive work to be done for it to be played on the airways. Also I know that at least in my area different radio stations have different tolerances for edits. Some choose to play a more edited version than required (one of our Pop stations does that) and others choose to play the minimum edited version (one of our Hip/Hop stations does that).

I don't disagree that this edited version with the words adjusted and the bleeps/edits unintentionally sparked likely more controversy than the original version; guess gotta blame Cardi B for being popular enough that everyone wanted to play her song regardless of how it actually sounded lol.

The song debuted at #1, had the biggest sales week of the year, and is setting all kinds of records on streaming services. I was reading an article, which of course I can’t find now, that basically said it wouldn’t matter if it never got a minute of radio play because it was a smash hit before it was even released.

The song debuted at #1, had the biggest sales week of the year, and is setting all kinds of records on streaming services. I was reading an article, which of course I can’t find now, that basically said it wouldn’t matter if it never got a minute of radio play because it was a smash hit before it was even released.

Yup. Artists don’t care about radio play.

My son is a huge Juice World fan. He streamed his entire album the minute it came out. I don’t think they play his music on the radio. It broke all kinds of records and he died a few months prior to the release.

My son is a huge Juice World fan. He streamed his entire album the minute it came out. I don’t think they play his music on the radio. It broke all kinds of records and he died a few months prior to the release.
Hate Me was played here on the Pop stations. That's Ellie Goulding feat. him. that however wasn't explicit to begin with. I *think* that may be the only one I remember hearing but it's possible his songs were played on the Hip/Hop station here that plays more explicit though still edited songs (since most of his songs are explicit). Either way clearly he didn't need the radio to become prominent.

I’m a dinosaur so I still listen to the radio sometimes in the car, but only for the oldies station. Which plays 90s rap and hip hop. Because rap and hip hop is now the music of old people like me. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter