Car top or tow hitch luggage carrier?

Ca toper. Only because it add extra length to your truck/car and some of the parking areas are small. Plus if you need something from your trunk you have to take everything off to get the door open.

I have a rack that fits on the tow hitch and I like it alot - esp because I am short and can't comfortably pack and unpack a car top carrier.

Although if you have to purchase either (the hitch or car top carrier) I would look into renting a double stroller when you arrive in FL instead. There are quite a few reputable companies that rent strollers at affordable prices, they also deliver and pickup from your resort.

If this would make enough room so you can pack everything in the car it would save the cost of the carrier.

I agree with PP rent a stroller.
But I would have to say that car top carrier would be better. Plus some toll roads will charge you more because you have more than two axels. During your trip you won't have to look for a special place to park because you won't have the trailer.

I agree with PP rent a stroller.
But I would have to say that car top carrier would be better. Plus some toll roads will charge you more because you have more than two axels. During your trip you won't have to look for a special place to park because you won't have the trailer.

Just to clarify my tow carrier isn't a trailer and doesn't have an axel ! It is just a luggage rack that attaches to the car via the tow hitch - something like like this :)

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Series-63...40&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+hitch+luggage+rack

I don't have issues parking, accessing the rear or paying extra tolls, it folds up when not in use and is very easy to put on and take off the car.

Again though, if you can fit everything in the car by renting a stroller that would still be my #1 choice.

I'd go with a car topper. An Expedition with anything towed in the back would be hard to park in most places, and I think might make driving a little uncomfortable if road conditions aren't ideal. I'd always be looking backward to make sure nothing's coming undone back there. A car topper means not having to worry about any of this. If your vehicle has a sunroof, just open the sun visor on it and glance up for 1/10 of a second to confirm nothing is moving. If you're short, you can always use a ladder to pack the car topper if it's already on the vehicle's roof.

I have used both, and I think the hitch mounted basket is the way to go. The car topper just created too much drag and it bothered me when driving, plus it's hard to get at in case you need something mid-trip. In 2008, we used a hitch basket and then bought a big locking tub (rubbermaid?, it is heavy duty grey and red), it was great and yes you might need to be careful parking, but driving a big vehicle like yours, you are already used to that. We stopped halfway, so I actually used a bike cable to secure everything to the basket, as well as a locking hitch pin...worked great and I could leave it while at the hotel...also securing the load for the road time. After we used that once, I sold my car topper, there was no going back.

I did add more reflective tape, the reflectors that came with it just didn't seem sufficient.

Just be sure that your load is positioned (my rack has a low and high position) so that you can get your lift gate opened while the stuff is still in the rack.

To be fair, our car topper was not one of the newer sleek looking ones...but I can't imagine those hold much.

I'd look at the aluminum hitch mounted carriers. They will usually hold a little more since the aluminum us so much lighter than steel.

bored said:
I'd look at the aluminum hitch mounted carriers. They will usually hold a little more since the aluminum us so much lighter than steel.

Mine is steel and very heavy. I saw an aluminum one recently and was amazed at the difference...same price too

We have an expedition as well. Used a soft sided car top thing for two trips , it got so ripped up from the wind we had to throw it out after a lot of duck tape and the second trip :(

We have a roof top Thule roof top carrier that we have used for years (I think 10?) and has gone on many different cars.

In the summer it carries camping gear and during the winter it carries ski equipment. On Thanksgiving trips it carries Christmas gifts.

Affects gas mileage slightly on the van, not enough that we really notice we are filling up more often though.

Emily

We drove to WDW for the first time last month. I was picking my son up who was participating in the Disney College Program.

I knew we would need plenty of room to bring all of his stuff home plus our suitcases so I looked at options to provide some extra space.

I ruled out a trailer because the cost of installing a hitch and renting a trailer were too high.

Then I started investigating roof top options. I found this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Car-Top-Rainproof-Bag/15125810

It worked great! We strapped it to the roof with no problem. We put two large suitcases in it as well as some smaller bags.

There was no noise and it kept everything dry.

I was very happy I bought this roof top carrier.

We used both last drive. The car top was water resistant, everything got soaked. Coming home I bought thick yard bags, but no rain. The tow hitch, everything picked up road dirt, exhaust touched tarp and melted a corner. If you need be, it is longer length but the smallest tow behind is best for clean dry accessable belongings. Better for gas mileage and the rear of the car tail end not bottoming out. The most difficult is storage when arriving. The tail hitch is a lot of weight, it needs lights, the top if soft gets wet even with a tarp, tarp flaps like crazy.

If it is for a stroller, I agree, just rent one from off sight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter