Car Sizes

Zeebs

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone in the know,

We are wanting to book a car for our two weeks in Florida, we will be travelling with 4 Adults and 2 kids in carseats. We pack pretty light (thanks to condos that have everything we require and a washing machine) so 3 suitcases and 1 stroller plus a few day packs which I assume can go at feet. We won't just be using the car for trips to WDW and back as our second week we are staying elsewhere in Florida and would like to do a bit of touring.

My question is would we be better off room wise with which of the following offered by the car rental places

Extended Trailblazer 7str or Similar (SUV)
Ford Freestar or similar (SUV)
Chervrolet Venture or similar (minivan)
Dodge Caravan or similar (minivan)

What I am trying to avoid if possible is one of the 8 seater proper vans (you know the ugly ones that look like small buses) Sorry if you own one and really like it ;)

thanks Kirsten

We had a Dodge Caravan last September and it was just me, DH & DD (2).

This might be good for you as you get two built in child seats so no extras to pay at the airport and no lugging two seats from the desk to the car.

Luggage space was fine. We got the 3 suitcases in the boot and there was plenty of space for strollers and bags in the main section.

It wasn't too van like - I even drove it one day when DD was under the weather and managed fine.

Thanks Sue, are the two included car seats suitable for the kids (I am having difficulty imagining it) Cullen will be 2.5 and Seth only 10 months.

Not sure you'll have enough space for your luggage if you have a van or SUV. Most of these options would have 3 rows of seats, which you would need to have in place to seat 6 of you. In that case the luggage space at the back wouldn't be huge - best bet maybe to have a look at the cars on their manufacturers website, which will have a view of them which may help.

I'm in the same position this year and from previous experience I'll go with Dollar and book either a Grand Caravan or a Dodge Durango.

David

Hi Zeebs, the car seats would be fine for your 2 yr old but not sure about the younger one. They are a 5 point harness that fold out from the seat. DD was fine in it when she was 2 and she is on the small side.

Here is a clicky link to the dodge caravan website

http://www.dodge.com/en/2007/caravan/gallery/

Have a look at picture 26 of 31 and that will show you what the integrated child seat in the dodge caravan is like we have had a 2 year old in one of these seats and I think dodge say the weight range for these seats is from 22lbs to 50lbs

We also love the dodge caravan when we go to florida. We took a booster for our 4yo and our youngest was happy in the intergrated 5 point harness (she was 19mo on our first trip last year and 25 months the second time).
You should check the Florida state law but I'm sure you'll need to take an infant carrier for your 10mo old, theres no way a 10mo will be supported enough in the integrated belts on the Dodge.

Thanks very much for all the information. It has been very helpful. We have decided we will go for the Dodge Caravan (or similar) and hope we get it. It seems to have storage everywhere and 13 !!!! cupholders :thumbsup2 (thats what swung it) As I said we are pretty light packers each family member gets 3 outfits, because we are staying where there are washing facilities. So hopefully it will all fit in when we pick it up. With regards to the car seat I will bring our infant carrier from home for Seth because at 10 months he will still need to be rear facing. But Cullen will be fine in the one included. I knew I could count on you guys for all the help we need.

Kirsten

if your going to need a forward facing one soon id think about buying one out there to use then bring back, you can get recling ones and most are from 9 months, my brittax one was 160 here and only 90 $ same model over there!

if you rent your car with dollar this is the type of minivan you should get

Yes! I forgot to add that bit - we rented with Dollar both trips and got identical white Dodge Caravans - Dollar were the best price for us....
You'll love the space the Caravan gives you -if we ever did two parks in a day sometimes we'd go back to the "van" and nap for 30 mins to refresh.

if your going to need a forward facing one soon id think about buying one out there to use then bring back, you can get recling ones and most are from 9 months, my brittax one was 160 here and only 90 $ same model over there!

Thats handy to know as we will need a forward facing within at least the next 3-4 months after going so it might be a good idea to get it out there. We have isofix and Cullens is a maxi cosi but our rear facing is britax with a base unit so I have no preference with either of them as long as it is isofix.

Kirsten

yep mine was a lot cheaper, plus i like the chest clips they have on most of ther car seats keeps them in it better

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter