Car seats on the plane for 21 mos old?

MollysNeeNee

Earning My Ears
I am a "nervous nana" travelling with my 21 mos old grandaughter for the first time. Have purchased a seat for her (assuming we would have to lug the car seat for plane & transfers). Just realized that the transfers to/from airport will provide car seats...and when I called the airline they told me it was up to the adult to decide whether or not to use a car seat. They wouldn't give me any guidance about safety wise, should we have one...or even if the lap belts will fit into the car seat. Need help and wisdom from experienced mom & dad travellers!!Thanks in advance!:confused:

I would definetly take the car seat. We just got back from our trip with 2yo DD and I think it helps a bunch to have their own car seat. I think they are more comfortable in a seat "their" size than on the regular plane seat. Also the car seat has a five point harness and the plane seat just has a lap belt. A 21 month old could easily slide under the belt I would think if there was very rough turbulence. The car seat lets them sit up with a higher view too, something that is nice for reading a story to them or playing a game etc. You also might like her own seat for the transfers.

It may be a pain to lug around the airport, but I think you'll feel better with it.

You will get numerous responses both ways. We travel with our son extensively and have never used a car seat for him. My husband works for the airlines so we know about turbulance and all that, but its our option not to use it. As for comfort, a 21 month is going to get restless no matter what. Take lots of things to keep the child occupied.

I have taken my kids overseas several times and never had a car seat with me except for once when dd2 waa an infant and only going to Florida. My kids behave better without the car seat than they do with the car seat and the cars we always rented had a built in car seat. It all depends on the child, but bring in lots of things to keep the child busy.

Even at 25 months my son still sleeps a lot in the car. So for us, it was an easy decision. He was very comfortable in his car seat & understood that he couldn't get out. For both flights, after a snack during take off & playing with stickers for a little while, he was sound asleep! On the wa down he even slept through the landing. We were very happy, as were the people around us, I'm sure. :)

We put the car seat in a large, lightweight duffle bag, which made it easier to carry. At the gate we took it out & put the stroller in the bag, then gate checked it.

Mollysneenee,
I don't know what airline you are flying, but, I did pull this off Southwest's site. As an aside, I totally agree with their thoughts.

Baby On Board
InformationYou Should Know When Flying With Your Infant or Toddler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traveling with precious cargo?
If you're traveling with an infant or small child, you should know that proper use of an approved child restraint device (CRD) enhances child safety on aircraft. For this reason, Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend that infants and small children who weigh under 40 pounds be secured in an appropriate CRD when traveling by air.

Thank you all for your posts....especially Gail Hayden, who spent the time to look up info for me!! I really feel like I'm with family on the Boards....thanks again!:D

You are more than welcome MollysNeeNee. You are, indeed, with family here and welcome!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter