Car seats in rental car?

mom2cct

Earning My Ears
We need to rent a mini-van while in Orlando in May and I found a great price through Hotwire, problem is that they can't book or guarantee the car seat availability or price and suggested I just go and try to get car seats when I get there....ummm, not too fond of that idea since I have three kids under the age of 5!
What do I do??? I might be able to bring two booster seats since I have a 5 year old and 3 year old but the 1 year old needs the infant/booster seat.

We brought our own last time we flew (we only needed one though). I bought a travel bag designed for carseats at Babies r us for about $15.00 that had a heavy-duty shoulder strap which made it easy to carry. The bag is big enough that you could probably put the regular carseat and both of the booster seats in it. While it would be heavy, you would not have to worry about carseats once you arrived. You would save a lot of money too, as they would be checked with your luggage for free.

I think that they say that they can't guarantee them in case they have a big rush of renters who need them, but we've never had a problem getting one from a car rental place (especially in Orlando). (That being said, it's cheaper to bring booster seats than to rent them - even if you buy ones that you don't plan on bringing home with you, you will save money.)

We just came back and brought our carseat with us. I was flying with an infant and was hoping for a non-full flight so that she could have a seat of her own. She would need a carseat if she had her own seat. I brought the carseat to the gate. On our way from Boston to Orlando the flight was full and I placed the carseat along with the stroller at the end of the gate (right before you enter the plane). It was already at the end of the gate when we arrived in Orlando. On the return trip I lucked out and their was an empty seat so I carried the carseat onto the plane and just left the stroller at the gate.

Is it free to check the carseats (as pp said)? Is that only if you gate check them, or is that true even if you check them with the luggage? We're planning to bring our seats with us, but I'm trying to decide whether to bring a carseat or a booster for my youngest. We still keep her in a 5-point becuase she is still small and it is safer, but she is big enough to legally sit in a booster and she's be fine in it.

If I don't have to haul the carseat to the gate and I don't have to pay extra to check it, then I would definitly bring it.

I think that it may depend on the carrier that you are using. Delta definetly does not charge for checking a car seat or a booster with your luggage. It is considered a special item.

Is it free to check the carseats (as pp said)? Is that only if you gate check them, or is that true even if you check them with the luggage? We're planning to bring our seats with us, but I'm trying to decide whether to bring a carseat or a booster for my youngest. We still keep her in a 5-point becuase she is still small and it is safer, but she is big enough to legally sit in a booster and she's be fine in it.

If I don't have to haul the carseat to the gate and I don't have to pay extra to check it, then I would definitly bring it.

What airline are you flying? I don't know of any of the major US carriers that charge to check a car seat.

We are flying on American Airlines. Maybe I'll call them just to check. Thanks so much for all the help!

Sorry, but there is no way I would ever rent car seats from a car rental company. You do not know the history of the seats (have they ever been in an accident?) and I've heard too many horror stories about the disgusting conditions of the seats some people have been offered. Last year when we were checking in at Dollar, the couple next to us were checking in and they had reserved a harnessed seat for their 2-year old. All Dollar had to offer them was a booster. Needless to say, they were not happy. We actually saw them at Walmart a bit later and they were there buying a brand new seat for their child.

Are you flying? If so, check your airlines rules for checking seats and bring your own from home. Yes, it's a pain but you know your kids will be in safe seats. Definitely worth the hassle, in my book.

Sorry, but there is no way I would ever rent car seats from a car rental company. You do not know the history of the seats (have they ever been in an accident?) and I've heard too many horror stories about the disgusting conditions of the seats some people have been offered. Last year when we were checking in at Dollar, the couple next to us were checking in and they had reserved a harnessed seat for their 2-year old. All Dollar had to offer them was a booster. Needless to say, they were not happy. We actually saw them at Walmart a bit later and they were there buying a brand new seat for their child.

Are you flying? If so, check your airlines rules for checking seats and bring your own from home. Yes, it's a pain but you know your kids will be in safe seats. Definitely worth the hassle, in my book.

ditto heres a blog post i read onetime
http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal/2007/dec/22/advantage-rent-cars-frightening-car-seats/
after reading that even if i knew the history of the seat i would never ever rent one..i would bring my own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter