car seats in cabs?

nervous1sttimer

DIS Veteran
I have a 3 and 6yo and am worried about a late night after a P&P cruise. It's a MVMCP night and I think it could be after nightmare trying to catch a bus to AKL, and would like to take a cab. Will they let my 3yo ride without a car seat? I'm not going to bring one just for this one trip. :confused:

a 3 year old can ride in the back seat without a carseat in Florida in a cab. I asked the Moms Panel the same question. If you're not comfortable with that, you can get a cab from a company that provides them.:wizard:

That is NOT correct. The child needs to have hit his/her 4th birthday to not require a car seat. The car seat regs state THRU AGE 3. Which means after they have finished being 3. So, a 3 year old DOES need to have a car seat/booster seat to ride in a cab or car.

Thank you for clarifying!!

Do most people stay at MVMCP until the bitter end? If the party ends at midnight, what would the wait for a bus look like around 10:30-11pm?

Getting a cab may actually take longer & be more of a hassle than the bus!

You can't get a cab at the MK you will have to go to the TTC or the Contemporary vs getting on a bus to the AKL directly from the MK.

As the pp's mentioned cabs are not excempt from the carseat laws in FL so you would need to call a cab with a carseat. You can do this from the Contemporary, bell services will call one for you but it will take some more time.

Have Fun !

Yellow Sub said:
Doesn't the last part of the statute say this does NOT apply to a "taxi"? I'm wondering if maybe Mom's Panel (who I have no connection to) was correct.

I believe what it says is that the burden of complying with the law is not on the operator of the vehicle in that case, but with the parent. But I did not see that until you pointed it out.

In any case, that is not the reason I would use a car seat anyway, but it might negate my Mom's Panel comment. FL does have the most lax child safety restraint laws in the U.S. apparently.

Doesn't the last part of the statute say this does NOT apply to a "taxi"? I'm wondering if maybe Mom's Panel (who I have no connection to) was correct.

It says it doesn't apply to the *operator* but clearly states it is the obligation of the parent/guardian to comply with the regulations. In other words, if grandma drives everyone to the airport, she can be ticketed if baby isn't in a car seat. If Joe Taxi Driver drives everyone, he isn't on the hook for compliance, but the parents still are.

Tara said:
It says it doesn't apply to the *operator* but clearly states it is the obligation of the parent/guardian to comply with the regulations. In other words, if grandma drives everyone to the airport, she can be ticketed if baby isn't in a car seat. If Joe Taxi Driver drives everyone, he isn't on the hook for compliance, but the parents still are.

Right, and parents need to make the right choice. I think failing to use a car seat is a bad choice even if the law permits it. I've been in more than a few taxis where I feared for my life, and I think car seats are even more necessary in cabs! (Sorry, cabbies, I call it like I see it.)

Mears' Checker Cabs are the ones you'll find at WDW resorts and taxi stands. Most keep 1 car seat in the trunk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter