car seat requirements for 2 year old

emmababy

DIS Veteran
Next time we fly, dd will be 2 1/2. Do we bring a carseat on the plane? Or can she just sit in the seat. I don't know what the requirements are. Up until now she has sat on our lap. I would love to avoid lugging a carseat all around that we wouldn't use on our trip.
Thanks!

As far as I know, car seats are not required for children. My DD just sat in the plane seat at age 3 1/2 and a little over 4.

Children under 2 can either ride on an adult's lap or restrained in a carseat (strapped to a seat you paid for). Over 2, you must buy them their own seat, and they must sit in it.

Car seats aren't required. However, I personally didn't feel like the seat belt (lap belt) provided on the planes was enough for my then 3 year old, so I purchased CARES, child aviation restraint system (http://kidsflysafe.com/). It attaches to the lap belt and goes behind the seat and over the shoulders to act as a harness. It's a bit pricey, but it was worth it for my peace of mind. And we travel quite a bit so we got our use out of it, and now dd2 will be using it this year. It's also the only one that's FAA approved.

Just a thought...we love ours and I feel better knowing that they are a bit more restrained.

Have fun on your trip!

~Tami princess:

I agree on the CARES thing. Aside from the added safety, I think it reinforces the concept of "you have to stay sitting in this seat" to the child in a way that the regular airplane seatbelt doesn't. It's more like the straps on his carseat or stroller.

I was thinking about the cares thing as an alternative to lugging a carseat thru the airport. I agree it is quite spendy, but I do want some type of safety. Up to what age/weight can you use that? If we go to wdw 2x/year and then use it on our little one after her than I am sure we will get our $75 worth!

I was thinking about the cares thing as an alternative to lugging a carseat thru the airport. I agree it is quite spendy, but I do want some type of safety. Up to what age/weight can you use that? If we go to wdw 2x/year and then use it on our little one after her than I am sure we will get our $75 worth!

Some people rent them out on Ebay for about $20 a trip. I just bought one on craiglist, very gently used, for $35. I got it and it looks brand new. I'd look around before spending $75 PLUS S/H.

I'm excited to use it though. I watched the DVD that comes w/it a bunch of times...it looks SO easy. We still have to bring the carseat because we're renting a car, but the last time we flew, I was unable to unfasten the car seat both going AND coming (I have a Britax Boulevard and for some reason, my hand and the buckle weren't working together) and the flight attendant had to help me. I do NOT want to go through that again. LOL I'll be gate checking it this time! I just feel safer having her in the shoulder harness. My DD is 3 1/2and weighs 35lbs.

It's good for 22-44lbs.

from the site www.kidsflysafe.com
Q. What is the upper age limit for children to use CARES?
A. Children who are 4 years old, weigh at least 44 pounds and are more than 40 inches tall are considered old enough and strong enough to travel without an airplane child safety belt.

Some people rent them out on Ebay for about $20 a trip. I just bought one on craiglist, very gently used, for $35. I got it and it looks brand new. I'd look around before spending $75 PLUS S/H.

I'm excited to use it though. I watched the DVD that comes w/it a bunch of times...it looks SO easy. We still have to bring the carseat because we're renting a car, but the last time we flew, I was unable to unfasten the car seat both going AND coming (I have a Britax Boulevard and for some reason, my hand and the buckle weren't working together) and the flight attendant had to help me. I do NOT want to go through that again. LOL I'll be gate checking it this time! I just feel safer having her in the shoulder harness. My DD is 3 1/2and weighs 35lbs.

It's good for 22-44lbs.

from the site www.kidsflysafe.com
Q. What is the upper age limit for children to use CARES?
A. Children who are 4 years old, weigh at least 44 pounds and are more than 40 inches tall are considered old enough and strong enough to travel without an airplane child safety belt.

What did you use to search? I typed in cares and flight harness and am coming up empty on craigslist and ebay. Thanks

What did you use to search? I typed in cares and flight harness and am coming up empty on craigslist and ebay. Thanks

I think I did do "kids fly safe" and cares. I think I searched thru google and found a craiglist ad in Indiana....nothing came up for me on my search in NY. There were a few people selling them on ebay, but it was the same price as the original site. I think I saw it also on babies r us site...maybe you can find a coupon code. There are some sites that were a little cheaper than kidsflysafe.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter