• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car seat on plane?

dnlsmith

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing
We are going to DW in November and are taking our daughter who will have just turned 3. I have never seen a child in a car seat on a plane but I think it would be good for her because she knows she has to stay in it so she will be less likely to get upset that she can't run around.

Has anyone taken a car seat? Is it a huge hassle?

We have taken a car seat for both of our kids, now 8 and 4. They started as infants and we just kept doing it.

Like you said, it makes them realize they need to stay in the seat. Even as infants and free, I would not have wanted to hold them for 2+ hours!
Were you planning to bring a stroller as well? Going thru the airport, if they didn't sit in the stroller, we piled the car seat on top on the stroller. Otherwise,it is a bit of a pain to carry the car seat, but not a reason in my opinion to not do it.

The one drawback, at least with our model (evenflo) the tray table did not always come down flat for snack/beverage service and also doing activities to keep the little darlings busy during the flight.

Since the little one is 4 this year, we were going to go without it, but then we need to rent one from the car rental company when we get to Orlando.

Hope this helps! Happy vacationing!

Hi,
We always took a car seat on the plane until my ds turned four. Some people think it's a big hassle, others think it's worth the effort. The FAA strongly recommends all children under 40lbs ride in a car seat on board planes. I would say it's not that big of a deal to carry a CRS through the airport if you have a strategy and plan ahead. We still used a stroller at that age, so we would just either throw the seat on the stroller and ds would walk, alternatively, you could also bungee it to a metal luggage cart to wheel it through the airport. The big tip I learned here for getting it on the airplane was to hold the seat base up so the widest part is on top - it makes carrying it down the narrow airplane aisle very easy.

When you get to the seat, the car seat should go by the window, and others have reported that if there are three people in the same party sitting in a row, then it's ok to put a f/fing seat in the middle if you want (it just can't block the exit of another pax in an emergency). You would install it the same way you do in a car with a lap-only belt, but on airplanes, the easiest way to install a f/fing seat by reclining the airplane seat all the way first, then thread the lap belt thru the fwd facing belt path of the car seat, buckle and tighten as much as possible. Then you have to put the airplane seat upright, which will tighten the car seat up the rest of the way. Oh, and if the airplane buckle latch plate is facing the plastic shell of the car seat, flip the latchplate over once before buckling and tightening, otherwise, it may be hard to undo (only a problem on certain car seats, like Britax for example).

hth and hope you have a great trip. btw we are in WA too. :)

You may want to look into the CARES Flight Harness. It is the only FAA approved flight harness - it costs about $75 but it's very small and compact. We check our "spare" car seat for use in the rental care and bring the harness on board instead. There's a big red belt that fits over the back of the seat that has shoulder straps attached to it and a chest clip. The lap belt feeds through the bottom of the shoulder strap making a 4-point harness.

56002Allen-Plane1-med.jpg

D4D

I have 2 children DS (4) and DD (2). We fly several times a year. We always bring a car seat for them to sit in. Now that my DS is 4, he can sit in a seat. I completely agree that it is so much easier when they are in a car seat. They do not want to get out. It is harder for them to kick the seat in front of them. And I think it is so much more comfortable for them. Especially if they want to sleep.

We just flew a couple of weeks ago, and there was a 2 year old across from us. She was not in a car seat. She wanted to get up and down, and could unbuckle herself. Their was a lot of turbulence, and the flight attendants had to come over several times to tell the parents to child needed to be buckled into her seat.

I have the car seat or CARES on the plane for DS (now 16 months). If I'm alone, then I have wheels I can attached to my car seat (sold at BRU). If I have DH with me, then we'll just stick the car seat in the stroller, or one of us will carry it. It have never really been a hassle. Checking a car seat and having it not arrive on the other end... now that is a hassle.

Starting at 11 months, we have flown 7 times with DS (now 3). Of those, the first 5 times we have used his carseat on the plane (we specifically bought an FAA approved one when we switched him from the carrier kind).

As a previous poster mention we also bought the CARES strap for the last time we flew. It was very easy to handle and install and DS3 was asleep before we even taxied. All the flight attendants kept asking about it and where we had gotten it (it was in the Skymall cataloge on the last plane we flew on). My husband I had to laugh though because we were watching all the other parents lug on those heavy (not to mention cumbersome) carseats.

Last Feb. when we flew we had to hold him all the way because he broke his leg while we were on vacation and was in a Spica cast (mid chest to his toes)! :scared1:

Yes, we've taken them...we find them a pain in the airport. Like you need one more thing to carry and keep track of.

I was wondering if we could take a booster on the plane?? what are the restrictions? we have the one that you can take the back off.

Boosters are not FAA approved. They won't let you install them.

For the OP's question, my kids always liked to kick the seat in front of them and play with the tray table when they were in a car seat on the plane. Not much fun for the pax sitting in front of them. After they were about 18 months, I checked the car seat with the luggage.

I was wondering if we could take a booster on the plane?? what are the restrictions? we have the one that you can take the back off.

Boosters are not allowed on planes because one of their main purposes is to position the shoulder belt on the child properly, and airplanes only have lap belts. You could take the back off, check it in a suitcase, and bring the bottom part on as a carry on. This way, if anything gets lost/misrouted en transit, you still have a backless booster with you. If you will be using DME and Disney transport (not renting a car) then those do not have seat belts and you do not need a booster seat for them. Not that it doesn't hurt to have one with you "just in case" though. :goodvibes

I like having one on the plane. You must put it by the window - I thought it was a must even if your entire family was in one row. Also, it has to be FAA approved, which it probably is if it's new, but if you're using an older one, you will want to check. If you have your stroller with you, sometimes you can rig it so the carseat sits in the stroller seat and you can maneuver through the airport wheeling it - maybe even have your child strapped in it too, but make sure it's secure. Lastly, if you're renting a car while in Orlando, it's nicer to have your own seat.

I was wondering - we are flying to WDW with our DS who will be one at the time. He will still be in a rear-facing car seat. Do I need to install it rear facing on the plane? Thanks!

I was wondering - we are flying to WDW with our DS who will be one at the time. He will still be in a rear-facing car seat. Do I need to install it rear facing on the plane? Thanks!

Yes - it has to be rear facing. This might be stupid to mention, but you will have to purchase him a seat too - if he's 2 or under you might not think to buy the seat.

Yes - it has to be rear facing. This might be stupid to mention, but you will have to purchase him a seat too - if he's 2 or under you might not think to buy the seat.

Yes! I did buy a seat for him! This is a great thread! The only part of the trip I am nervous about is installing the seat and flying with him and then getting the seat in the rental car. Thank you for the advice everyone!

I just flew with my two 1/2 yr old. We only needed the carseat for the plane (using ME and Disney buses) and my DH did not want to bring it. I insisted. I am so glad we did. She was great and I believe it was due it having "her" seat which was familiar and comfy. She slept before the drinks were served on the flight home and we had to wake her when we landed. The girl two rows in front of us was about 3 and she kept unbuckling her belt and standing on her seat and was tired but couldn't seem to sleep.

We are a family of five and we sat three in one row and two in the other so a family member was sitting in the seat in front of our toddler. That was at least she was kicking her sister's seat and not a stranger!

my approach has always been that if I need to secure in my handbag I should also secure my child. I have bought my little ones seats since my son's firy flight when he was 5 months old. My husband and I push our kids in their strollers through the airport & carry th car seats on our backs like backpacks. The inconvenience & exra money are well worth it if you hit turbulance IMO.

We took our carseat when we flew with my 11-month old DD. We have a Cosco scenera and that seat was perfect!! SO light, easy to pack around and install, fit nicely RF, etc.

Not sure if we'll have carseats this time. I want to look into the CARES harness. Can you buy them used anywhere?

I purchased a seat for my daughter (who will be 18mos. at trip time). I was planning to bring her car seat...a Britax Boulevard (HEAVY)...but I would like to learn more about the CARES option. I wish you could rent them...from the airline or something...I don't see her flying much...and I really didn't want to spend another $75...I may still have to go with option one and bring her carseat...either way...I want her safely strapped into her own seat. Ugh...that car seat is like lifting granite!! LOL

We took our carseat when we flew with my 11-month old DD. We have a Cosco scenera and that seat was perfect!! SO light, easy to pack around and install, fit nicely RF, etc.

Not sure if we'll have carseats this time. I want to look into the CARES harness. Can you buy them used anywhere?

We also used a Cosco Scenera! Perfect for a plane (and works well for a car too). They sell them in a plastic carrying bag. We put it in that after we got off the plane to keep it clean when it was under the ME bus. It has a nice carry handle on the side as well. The seat is only $40 at Walmart so it is cheaper than the CARES harness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter