car seat for 5 yr old

crl

DIS Veteran
Here in PA, the kids have to be in some sort of car seat/booster seat until age 8. My DD just outgrew her 5 point harness seat. (40 pound limit) We travel on long trips (9 hrs or more) a few times a year and would like to find a comfy seat for her. Does anyone know of a nice comfy seat for DD that won't break the bank?

Are you still wanting a 5 pt? I'd look at the Graco Nautilus. There's also the Britax world but those are $$$$

I'm not sure if I want a 5 point harness or not. Is there a benefit to having it at at almost 6 yrs old?

My DD (5) uses one of those small boosters. Its just a base and 2 armrests.

Its only supposed to be used to make them taller so the seatbelt doesn't go across their neck. It uses the vehicles seatbelt.

I got it at K-mart. Its princesses and cost $15.00.

Here in PA, the kids have to be in some sort of car seat/booster seat until age 8. My DD just outgrew her 5 point harness seat. (40 pound limit) We travel on long trips (9 hrs or more) a few times a year and would like to find a comfy seat for her. Does anyone know of a nice comfy seat for DD that won't break the bank?

I'm not sure if I want a 5 point harness or not. Is there a benefit to having it at at almost 6 yrs old?

4yrs and 40lbs is the bare minimum for moving up to a booster seat. Once a child moves into a booster, the responsibility for them to stay seated properly 100% of the time shifts from the parent to the child. So only you can determine for your child if she is mature enough to stay seated properly all the time in a booster seat. Children should never lean forward, twist around, put the shoulder belt under their arm, or behind them. If they do this they are not ready for a booster seat yet. In addition, a high back booster provides about 70% more side impact protection than a low/no back booster or no seat at all, according to a study done by CHOPS and PCPS, the leaders in child passenger safety research (see here). Also, a HBB provides better seat belt positioning than a Low or no back booster does. Kyledavidmiller.org here also has a compilation of info about why a 5pt harness is safest. My ds (who w/b 6 in April) still primarily rides in a 5pt (Britax Regent). This seat doesn't convert to a booster like the Nautilus does. The Graco Nautilus has tall top harness slots (approx 18" iirc), and converts to both a High and Low back booster. Low back boosters are fine for older kids that don't pass the 5 step test, and are too tall for most high back boosters (shoulders past top shoulder belt setting on their booster, or tips of ears past the top of the shell). Remember that with a low back booster, you need a tall vehicle seat, since they don't have a back, they won't provide any whiplash protection.

hth!:goodvibes

Well every time you move up a car seat, the safety decreases so it's up to you on the 5 pt harness or not. The Nautilus also converts to a belt positioning booster.

I opted for a 5 pt harness up to 65 lbs b/c I am personally not comfortable with my son being able to release himself from his seat yet. (He's nearing 5)

Our son turns 4 in March and we just purchased a "booster" for him. It is a Britax Frontier which I will admit was a bit more (ok a lot more) than I wanted to pay, but in looking at the options out there I felt he would be far safer in this and that was my number 1 priority. One if the things that I really like is that the 5 point harness is good to 80 pounds and the seat to 100.

From the Britax website:
The Britax Frontier™ combination Harness-2-Booster™ boasts best-in-class forward-facing five-point harnessed weight capacity up to 80 pounds and also serves as a vehicle belt-positioning booster up to 100 pounds. Featuring True Side Impact Protection™ with one-hand adjustable harness height system, Versa-Tether® and engineered energy management zones, the Frontier is designed to be the safest high capacity seat in the industry: it was designed to be a Britax. Loaded with comfort and convenience features, such as comfort foam, dual cup holders and armrests, the Frontier is the ideal seat for the child graduating from their convertible car seat without compromising safety.

I would keep any child harnessed as long as possible, but being that you travel alot I would definately want the still harnessed part. I can't imagine a 5 or 6 year old sitting in a booster correctly for an entire trip.

I would personally go with the nautilus, frontier or regent. I would probably splurge the extra for the Britax. I know it is alot of money but safety is #1 in my opinion and then will hold her until 80 lbs. The nautilus is a bit smaller and only goes to 65#.

What is the height limit on the Frontier? Or the height of the highest shoulder slots? My daughter is almost 5yo and reaching the end of her Marathon, in terms of shoulder height. I'm wondering if the Regent or Frontier would be a better fit for her.

The regent is 18 and Nautilus very close to that. My son is 46 lbs, 48 inches and no where near the top of either of those. He grew out of the others before he turned 4 height wise. Sorry, I don't know the specs on the Frontier.

The regent is 18 and Nautilus very close to that. My son is 46 lbs, 48 inches and no where near the top of either of those. He grew out of the others before he turned 4 height wise. Sorry, I don't know the specs on the Frontier.

Thanks! My daughter is 39 lbs and 45 inches right now and in the top slot of her Marathon with about an inch or 2 left to grow total before she's too tall fo the shoulder straps.

If it helps, Consumer Reports online rates kid's car seats and boosters. I found the safety ratings really helpful. I cross-referenced the models on Amazon to read customer reviews.

BTW, I hope it's okay to mention specific sites - ?:confused3

What is the height limit on the Frontier? Or the height of the highest shoulder slots? My daughter is almost 5yo and reaching the end of her Marathon, in terms of shoulder height. I'm wondering if the Regent or Frontier would be a better fit for her.

From their website (http://www.britaxusa.com/products/product_detail.aspx?ID=15)

Child Weight
Harnessed 2 years & 25 lbs. to 80 lbs.
Booster approx. 40 lbs. to 100 lbs.

Standing Height
Harness 30" to 53"
Booster 42" to 60''

Seated Shoulder Height
Harness 12" to 18.25''
Booster 13.5" to 21.5''

Count me in as nother Graco Nautilus fan. My toddlers will both be in their 5pt harness until 65 pounds

My kids are all in Britax Regents they are great nice and comfortable for the kids. I like to keep them in the harness as long as possible because they fall asleep in the car still so it wouldn't be safe for them to be slouched in a booster.

I have the traveller plus which is the same as the Regent and my has at least one more possible two more slots on it over the marathon. My 8yr old and my 5yr old can both comfortable fit in the regent.

I'm keeping my kids harnessed as long as possible.....too much danger out there on the roads. My oldest DD went from a Britax Marathon straight into a Britax Regent when she was three....she's 4.5 right now. It's the mother of all car seats, but it is comfy and safe. She'll be harnessed in it till she outgrows it. I dont care if she's twelve years old. Younger DD is nearly two and she's in the Marathon. It is about to expire though so we'll either buy another Marathon or another Regent....if she's big enough for the Regent, I'll have to check into that.

I'm keeping my kids harnessed as long as possible.....too much danger out there on the roads. My oldest DD went from a Britax Marathon straight into a Britax Regent when she was three....she's 4.5 right now. It's the mother of all car seats, but it is comfy and safe. She'll be harnessed in it till she outgrows it. I dont care if she's twelve years old. Younger DD is nearly two and she's in the Marathon. It is about to expire though so we'll either buy another Marathon or another Regent....if she's big enough for the Regent, I'll have to check into that.

For a Regent they only have to be 22lbs. My 2 year old is in one she has the Madison and calls it her pretty seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter