car rental

april1572

Earning My Ears
Going to Disney World in Oct. Am looking into the best rental car. Does anyone perfer National or L&M. Any problems or comments on either would be appreciated.
Thanks

Here is quote from mousesavers.com

The rental agencies that get the most complaints from MouseSavers.com readers are L&M, Thrifty and Payless. These are often the least expensive agencies on first glance, but if you can find the right combination of codes, coupons and other discounts, I think you'll usually find you can go with a more dependable agency at a similar price. I've received many complaints about these agencies, including: car type reserved was not available at pick-up, aggressive selling of insurance, overcharging, poor car quality, etc.

Originally posted by jessgood1
Here is quote from mousesavers.com

The rental agencies that get the most complaints from MouseSavers.com readers are L&M, Thrifty and Payless. These are often the least expensive agencies on first glance, but if you can find the right combination of codes, coupons and other discounts, I think you'll usually find you can go with a more dependable agency at a similar price. I've received many complaints about these agencies, including: car type reserved was not available at pick-up, aggressive selling of insurance, overcharging, poor car quality, etc.

Jess,
Thank you, that will teach me to read a bit more closely. Guess I only use the ones that I know and never have a reason to check more closely. Again, thanks.

Thanks everyone for your help. This will make me feel more comfortable when we rent from National.
All your info was really appreciated.:D :cool:

I would hurry with any reservations, National and Alamo just raised their rates. I was shocked. I am really happy I reserved when I did.

Gail, say it isn't so!
Even though I am a towncar person, we rent a car every now and then to spend a couple days bumming around town. I almost always got Alamo via Priceline, but for an upcoming trip I ended with Hertz for the first time ever! That really surprised me...I wonder if it's because the raise in rates has made Alamo not as easy to get via Priceline anymore. I'm a little worried since Hartz is offsite, but I see their bus whenever we're at MCO, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Alamo and Avis have me spoiled with the onsite counters.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Originally posted by inkkognito
Gail, say it isn't so!
Even though I am a towncar person, we rent a car every now and then to spend a couple days bumming around town. I almost always got Alamo via Priceline, but for an upcoming trip I ended with Hertz for the first time ever! That really surprised me...I wonder if it's because the raise in rates has made Alamo not as easy to get via Priceline anymore. I'm a little worried since Hartz is offsite, but I see their bus whenever we're at MCO, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Alamo and Avis have me spoiled with the onsite counters.
Barb

Barbara,
I am not kidding. I looked at rates yesterday for some friends, and they had jumped 50.00 overnight. Forget Priceline, I have always done well with them, not this trip. I booked my car from National in April and with the AARP rate and free day it is at 159.07, full size one week all total. Now it is well over 200.00, same codes. I had booked one at Alamo, same scenario.
I am cancelling Alamo and keeping National, which is the less expensive of the two. I keep hoping it will go down, but, at this point it will have to drop a ton to get lower than what I have.
Hertz's shuttle, according to what I have read is quite good.

Having worked the rental car counter for a few years, I can tell you that your major carries are more likely to have the class of car that you want, however if they are out, they are more likely to upgrade you at no charge whereas a smaller company will talk you into purchasing your upgrade, they tend to use the old bait and switch tactic.

Another tip is to check with your insurance before renting, many of us have coverage but are unaware of that coverage, so we may needlessly by rental coverage when not necessary. Rental coverage was great for the commission check.

Also check back frequently for better rates the companies are always adjusting rates based on fleet inventory in there service areas. You can always make multiple reservations and then cancel the one with the highest rate. Look for coupon codes and deals especially with your creditcard companies.

inkkognito, the shuttle for Hertz is very good. I have never sat waiting to depart more than a minute or two. I am driving out of the lot in less than 10 mins.

I have rented from them 7 times in the last year at MCO and they have been great. No problem with them being off site.

I am down to $196.10 for 9 days/8 nights. I used the Carlson-wagonlit code and an entertainment $20 coupon! Not too bad, it started at $264!

Originally posted by ~Sparkly~Zoe
I am down to $196.10 for 9 days/8 nights. I used the Carlson-wagonlit code and an entertainment $20 coupon! Not too bad, it started at $264!

Who are you renting from Zoe?

Ah, duh, nevermind. LOL

I did notice one thing on National's website today--they are running a special on minivans through early October. The rate is $219 a week, which I know is cheaper a few other places...but, with the DC code and Entertainment book, it isn't a bad deal at all.

We have 9 days booked for $154--I am so glad we booked when we did :) we booked every possible date combination for our trip, because we knew the rates were good. I've even been able to modify over the phone and keep the rate, thank goodness!

No offense intended, but, I would drink Draino before I would drive a mini van, suv or a white car.

No offense intended, but, I would drink Draino before I would drive a mini van, suv or a white car.

LOL, none taken :) with 3 kids and all that comes with them, sometimes we need a mini van. :::psst::: there are a "few" people out there that actually are looking for a deal on a mini van:teeth:

after we had our 3rd child, we had no choice than to go back to a van. one tihng I insisted on was that it not be a white van...no way I would be caught dead driving a tic-tac down the highway :bounce:

Thanks for the reassurance, Safetymom! I am so used to Alamo and Avis that Hertz was a bit of a shock. We're just coming down for a lazy weekend anyway, so we won't be in a big hurry, but our flight arrives at midnight so we'll be anxious to get on our way and into a warm, soft bed. I'll post a report on how it goes.
On the subject of being out of a particular car class and upgrading you because of it, this happened to us with Alamo on our last trip. The counter agent had tried to get me to upgrade, but that seems to be pretty standard so I don't think she was trying to bait and switch. They didn't have any cars in my class, except for some that had just been brought in and hadn't been cleaned up yet, so they had us choose a car one class up and told us what to say at the check-out so we wouldn't be charged. We had this happen once with Avis, too.
Barb

Originally posted by madge

LOL, none taken :) with 3 kids and all that comes with them, sometimes we need a mini van. :::psst::: there are a "few" people out there that actually are looking for a deal on a mini van:teeth:

after we had our 3rd child, we had no choice than to go back to a van. one tihng I insisted on was that it not be a white van...no way I would be caught dead driving a tic-tac down the highway :bounce:

LOL. I wonder how people managed before the mini vans. :)
Yep, I know there are MANY people looking for them, and I promise I won't hog one. :)

Tic tac, I love that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter