• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car rental question

luckyman_apd

DIS Veteran
I know many here rent cars on their dvc trips. I've only done it once as I got a great name your own price deal. Typically we are more than fine with Disney doing the driving, haven't been in a super rush as we plan accordingly. I'm considering renting for our upcoming 3 day weekend for food and wine. A 3 day trip was the time we did the rental before and it really allowed us to make the most of the weekend.

My real question is about the different rental companies. All the different sites give you prices for the major 5 companies... But they also give really cheap prices for companies like Ace, Fox, thrifty, etc. Anyone ever use those? Nothing but bad reviews on yelp for them.... But then again I feel people only go to yelp to complain, not compliment.

Personally, I have always stuck with the major companies.
Do some hunting, find a promo code etc.
The difference over the cost of 3 days is just not work any potential risk to me.
Last time I went, I used my verizon wireless rewards and got some discounted avis gift certificates, so that saved me some.

Another option, use cabs. They are all over the place, and cheap enough if going from epcot back to a resort, if you do not want to deal with the buses. Once you take one, the driver will probably give you his card, and you can call him 10 minutes before you leave your hotel etc. Not quite as convenient as your own car, but cheaper than renting, and easier than the buses. Just some middle ground to give some thought to.

I have been to WDW 12 times, and have used major rental companies, and cheapo rental companies. I have rented from Thrifty, Payless, EZ Rental, Advantage, Hertz, Firefly. I also rent cars for non-WDW trips.
The only problems I've had with cars have been with Hertz. The only problems I've had with charges are from Enterprise (in Los Angeles) and Payless (in Las Vegas).
My biggest suggestion is to be SURE to bring a print out of the agreed upon cost, and check the paperwork you get at the rental location. I forgot to bring the paperwork in Los Angeles, and Enterprise would not honor the price they had given me--even though I was in their "system," somehow the price wasn't. It took a bit of arguing after the trip to get the refund. And Payless, I stupidly did not check the price at the rental location, and only realized I had been overcharged when I returned home. I filed a complaint through my credit card for the difference of perhaps $40.

Personally, I have always stuck with the major companies.
Do some hunting, find a promo code etc.
The difference over the cost of 3 days is just not work any potential risk to me.
Last time I went, I used my verizon wireless rewards and got some discounted avis gift certificates, so that saved me some.

Another option, use cabs. They are all over the place, and cheap enough if going from epcot back to a resort, if you do not want to deal with the buses. Once you take one, the driver will probably give you his card, and you can call him 10 minutes before you leave your hotel etc. Not quite as convenient as your own car, but cheaper than renting, and easier than the buses. Just some middle ground to give some thought to.

I've used Uber in past trips for things needed, but a 3 day trip having that car to go to/from parks.... And grab some cheap food off property.... And even more importantly not have to use magic transportation. We fly spirit with no checked bags.... With DME.. (especially with an increased common flight delay on the way out) it's easy to maximize time. If we're in a park we can head straight to the airport from the park rather than back to resort and then DME. With spirit... DME always has us sitting at the airport for at least an hour with nothing to do... Usually more. Long trips I don't mind... But a short one.... Just looking to maximize my time.

DME always has us sitting at the airport for at least an hour with nothing to do... Usually more.

I generally leave, when I have a car, at the same time as I'm supposed to get on DME. Driving, getting gas, and returning the car do take up time, and MCO can have nasty nasty security wait times.

We LIKE being there early. We had the experience of nearly missing a flight once (we should have missed it but there was an unexpected delay and the plane, which should have taken off, wasn't even boarding when we got to the gate) and I never want that experience again. We get food, we rearrange carryons, etc etc. There are all sorts of ways to amuse yourself at an airport! :)

I generally leave, when I have a car, at the same time as I'm supposed to get on DME. Driving, getting gas, and returning the car do take up time, and MCO can have nasty nasty security wait times.

We LIKE being there early. We had the experience of nearly missing a flight once (we should have missed it but there was an unexpected delay and the plane, which should have taken off, wasn't even boarding when we got to the gate) and I never want that experience again. We get food, we rearrange carryons, etc etc. There are all sorts of ways to amuse yourself at an airport! :)
HA.... Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to arrive right at boarding time! But recently our flights with spirit have been delayed and the flight apps have informed me before DME has arrived. Renting a car gives us the freedom to kill time in our own way. Most likely I'm renting a car... Just want to pay $60 or less but curious if those other companies are worth it.

I would never anticipate a flight being delayed and cutting it so close that I would miss departure :scared:. I had an issue with Enterprise @ MCO last year. I had a reservation, they acknowledged it and I still didn't get a car for over an hour. Apparently they had over booked and people were slow returning cars and they didn't have enough for everyone. Many others were waiting too, not just me. I always book in advance in hopes of getting better price and ensuring that I will have a car when I want it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter