Car Rental for October

McGreezy

Have the courage to touch the butt.
I'm back and forth on it, as it's our first trip I want things to go as smoothly as possible. I'm open to opinions about that time of year travel wise. It just feels like an hour on a bus after a long day or midday will be not so fun :confused3. But I want to hear from those who have been in October. Also, I'm finding $250-$300 price ranges for a midsize car at the cheapest through Alamo (everywhere else was more expensive), and I'm wondering if I should wait like with flights and maybe they'll get cheaper?? That seems really expensive :/ Advice?:car:

I've only been to WDW once, so I can't comment on Disney's transportation system, but I liked having a car for the convenience. We stayed offsite, so we didn't really have a choice anyway. However, I couldn't imagine having to wait for a bus and or ferry after a long day at the park, especially when everyone is leaving at the same time.

If you decide to have a car, I suggest reserving a one once you are comfortable with the rate, and then keep checking for price changes. You can always cancel and rebook if/when it gets cheaper. Last year, our intermediate went down to ~$99 total just a week or two before our trip (beginning of September).

Oh wow really!? That's amazing! That's good advice. As long as I don't have to pay up front. May I ask who you booked with?

We have a midsize SUV reserved for October for $267 including all taxes and fees (Dollar or Budget, I can't remember which.....we have 2 SUV rentals right now, one for October and one for December, for virtually identical prices but one is with each of those two companies and I can't keep them straight!).

I am fully expecting rates to drop noticeably before our travel dates, as other than Christmas week, its rang true each and every time. Normally that drop begins to occur between 6-8 weeks from our arrival. I generally book something as soon as we have our flights secured (which would be our worst case scenario), then watch prices from there (cancelling and rebooking whenever there is a savings).

Our full size car for May started at $300. Its now $114.

We have a midsize SUV reserved for October for $267 including all taxes and fees (Dollar or Budget, I can't remember which.....we have 2 SUV rentals right now, one for October and one for December, for virtually identical prices but one is with each of those two companies and I can't keep them straight!).

I am fully expecting rates to drop noticeably before our travel dates, as other than Christmas week, its rang true each and every time. Normally that drop begins to occur between 6-8 weeks from our arrival. I generally book something as soon as we have our flights secured (which would be our worst case scenario), then watch prices from there (cancelling and rebooking whenever there is a savings).

Our full size car for May started at $300. Its now $114.

Oh that's great, thank you! I saw the same rate for the Rav4. I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and book. Can I ask you why you chose a rental? Do you stay on property?

Oh that's great, thank you! I saw the same rate for the Rav4. I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and book. Can I ask you why you chose a rental? Do you stay on property?

We stay offsite now (lesson learned....so much better than our onsite experience).

But even IF we stayed onsite, we would still rent a vehicle. We don't enjoy the Disney bus experience. And we hate, hate, HATE being trapped on Disney property.....we like to explore when we're in Orlando.

Oh no! And your first onsite was at POR!? Thats where we are staying :/ Mind if I ask why you didn't like it?

If you know your arrival and departure dates and times, go ahead and book something as long as you don't have to prepay. (They'll just ask for your name and email, not your credit card). Keep an eye on rates as time goes on and rebook as necessary...of course, cancel anything you aren't going to use. Often the best rates show up the last couple weeks before you leave.

If you know your arrival and departure dates and times, go ahead and book something as long as you don't have to prepay. (They'll just ask for your name and email, not your credit card). Keep an eye on rates as time goes on and rebook as necessary...of course, cancel anything you aren't going to use. Often the best rates show up the last couple weeks before you leave.

I appreciate that! Thank you!

We go to WDW in Oct. as well. We have always rented a car. Our position is that when we are ready to leave a park or resort we want to go and not have to wait for a bus or several at the end of the night or first thing in the morning. We also don't want to have to take a bus to a park and then another one to the resort where we have an adr. We have the gold service from Hertz which you can get for free at the top sticky or from mousesavers. While Hertz prices tend to be higher I do love having the car ready to go when we land. We get a text with the slot number and never have to stop at a counter. You can get extra gold points through e-rewards so that you can get free rentals so you just pay the airport taxes and it makes the cars very reasonable. HTH

We go to WDW in Oct. as well. We have always rented a car. Our position is that when we are ready to leave a park or resort we want to go and not have to wait for a bus or several at the end of the night or first thing in the morning. We also don't want to have to take a bus to a park and then another one to the resort where we have an adr. We have the gold service from Hertz which you can get for free at the top sticky or from mousesavers. While Hertz prices tend to be higher I do love having the car ready to go when we land. We get a text with the slot number and never have to stop at a counter. You can get extra gold points through e-rewards so that you can get free rentals so you just pay the airport taxes and it makes the cars very reasonable. HTH

Wow this is great, Thank you very much!!

I'm back and forth on it, as it's our first trip I want things to go as smoothly as possible. I'm open to opinions about that time of year travel wise. It just feels like an hour on a bus after a long day or midday will be not so fun :confused3. But I want to hear from those who have been in October. Also, I'm finding $250-$300 price ranges for a midsize car at the cheapest through Alamo (everywhere else was more expensive), and I'm wondering if I should wait like with flights and maybe they'll get cheaper?? That seems really expensive :/ Advice?:car:
We always rent a car and go in October as well. You want to wait until it gets closer to October before renting a car because there are no discounts or specials this far out. We usually rent a minivan for $350-$400 for 11-12 days so that is a lot for a midsize. If you wait that price should go down. Don't forget to look for codes before you book.

That's so weird I was just going to book! The price went from $265 to $300 for a midsize SUV. I'm worried it will just continue to to increase ::-( but you say no? And where do I find these codeS??

...We have the gold service from Hertz which you can get for free at the top sticky or from mousesavers. While Hertz prices tend to be higher I do love having the car ready to go when we land. We get a text with the slot number and never have to stop at a counter. ...

While I'll agree that those that do a lot of rentals, especially business, have advantages with Hertz/Avis/National, I find Alamo even more convenient. The entire checkin process can be done online and you have the advantage of being able to pick out your car from an entire row, rather than an assigned slot number.

Here's a question! I found a good rate on a rental but have never done one before. Do I buy the $28/day car insurance??

I
Here's a question! I found a good rate on a rental but have never done one before. Do I buy the $28/day car insurance??

I am an Insurance Agent in Indiana, so I can share with you what I tell my policyholders. Your liability insurance will follow you and your comprehensive and collision as long as you carry both comprehensive and collision on at least one of your policies. Also, for a small cost around $25 total we tell our policyholders to add a non owned vehicle endorsement that will protect you in the case of Loss of Use. If you are involved in a car accident, and the vehicle is out of service for any length of time, the rental company can charge you for time out of service. Part of my companies(think Good Neighbor) reqirements to add the non owned you also need to have Emergency Road Side Service and Car Rental endorsments. You may want to call your Agent and see how much it would be to add the Non Owned Vehicle endorsement, and if you need to have other endoresments on your policy. I highly recommend doing that first before paying a car rental company for Liability and Loss of Use insurance! Just an FYI, Florida is a no fault State, meaning that no matter who causes the accident your insurance company will handle your claim.

Melissa

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter