Car rental after the cruise: Hertz vs. Avis

shorecreast

Earning My Ears
Hertz vs. Avis

Hi there,

Hertz vs. Avis

Which company do you prefer? We have two almost identical quotes and we were just wondering:
-which one is easier to deal with?
-which one includes an additional driver?
-which one includes roadside assistance?

In addition, we will be renting from Cape Canaveral and returning it to Orlando.
I noticed that the return location for Hertz is offsite from the airport, while Avis is location right at the terminal. Which location would be more convenient and easier?

Thanks for your help.

You hit on the key point. If you are going to MCO, it is MUCH easier to return Avis because you don't have to load your luggage onto the Hertz shuttle for the ride to the airport.

At Cape Canaveral, Hertz is a little closer to the port. I don't see this as a big deal as you are probably talking about a difference of 2 minutes on the shuttle ride.

Did you try the various discount codes from mousesavers.com or rentalcodes.com? I only ask because I've NEVER had Hertz come out the cheapest. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it hasn't for me. Just to give you price ideas, I typically pay about $40 including taxes, etc. for a small - midsized car. I've paid $46 and $92 for a mini-van (dates made a huge difference!)

I rented from MCO-Port, Port-MCO both one-way rentals from AVIS. Mini Van was very nice for a price of $48. Location at the airport can't be beat. I'll do the same for my future trips. :thumbsup2

We use AVIS or BUDGET depending on who is less expensive. They are very close to each other at MCO and near the port. They both have a shuttle.....

Did you try the various discount codes from mousesavers.com or rentalcodes.com? I only ask because I've NEVER had Hertz come out the cheapest. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it hasn't for me.

I've been trying different codes for a month now and still, Hertz is the cheapest by at least $20 for me in the size of car I need (for the 4 of us, stroller and the luggage) and needing a car seat. I'd LIKE something right at MCIO w/o a shuttle but dang it all.:mad:
I'll keep trying.

When are you picking it up? and when are you using a return?

Is MCO to the port, then another one way from the port to MCO right?... Id like to see what ptices I get.

Ive NEVER been able to get a lower rate from Hertz either.

And enroll in the preferred plan (like fastbreak at budget) and you dont even go to the counter at MCO, you go right to the cars. Its much faster!

We are using Budget next week-- ship to universal studios and then to the airport that night.

It does seem to make a big difference if you are just doing a 1 day rental and dropping off at a different location too. Some rental companies have higher fees for that one way rental between port and MCO. That's my problem, a 1 way rental for just a few hours. For an int. SUV size Hertz has been cheapest for me w/ an AAA discount and gives me a free car seat usage. Check them all out it seems. I'm still trying. I don't want to take a shuttle.

I just did a quick check. Using Thursday's date (your ticker says 4 days), the cheapest I could get for an int SUV + car seat + all taxes was $73. I suspect the problem is that you are so close to your dates. The car seat was $12.

I do know that if you want to bring your own car seat (maybe to use on the plane?) that Budget will store it at their facility at Cape Canaveral if you have a Budget rental each way.

I just did a quick check. Using Thursday's date (your ticker says 4 days), the cheapest I could get for an int SUV + car seat + all taxes was $73. I suspect the problem is that you are so close to your dates. The car seat was $12.

I do know that if you want to bring your own car seat (maybe to use on the plane?) that Budget will store it at their facility at Cape Canaveral if you have a Budget rental each way.

Hmmmm. Actually, we're taking a limo from the poly to port on the 15th and then we'd rent a car from port to MCO on the 19th. So, still a thurs. ;) But where did you find that rate? I'm still crawling all over the sites. I'm on Dollar right now. I appreciate the help! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what code I'm misisng. I've got Mousesavers open on my screen too. :confused: Hertz for me is $83. UGH.

Sent you a pm

THANK YOU!!!! :thumbsup2 I saved buckage! THANKS!!! Sorry guys I got caught up and hi-jacked the thread. :rolleyes1 kcashner gave some great sites to look for codes. The one I used was for a Discover card and I didn't need to use that card to get the rate! HA! So check everything out is what I learned. :love:

Can you PM me what you used?... the codes I have didnt get me that much of a rate....

Can you PM me what you used?... the codes I have didnt get me that much of a rate....

PM sent...my computer saves them for me, so I'm not sure I sent all I have. Different codes work better on different dates...its totally weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter