Car rental $125 one way drop charge !

phred52

I love vacation!
Back Story:
Coming up in early January, we are spending a week @ ASSports using ME to get around. Our original plan was to end the vacation with a Disney cruise. But .... with the Dream coming and the Wonder going... turns out the Magic was just too pricy for us this time around.

Anyway, I booked us on a cruise leaving from the Port of Tampa. Now, its super easy to rent a car and drop it off when going to Port Canaveral. Turns out not so easy going to Port of Tampa. Best I can figure out is one must return a rental car to the Tampa airport then either catch a shuttle form the car rental company to the port or take a $25 cab ride. Then there is the matter of the $125 one way drop charge added to the rental car cost. uggh!

I discovered it is much less expensive to pick up a rental car in the Downtown Disney area vs going back to MCO to pick it up. Any special codes to eliminate that pesky drop charge? Have you experience with another way to get to the port I haven't thought of.....? I'm trying to think ourside the box to lower costs.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help! :thumbsup2

only rental agency we found w/o dropoff charge MCO to TPA was dollar (off site but within sight of airport-across the street) a few years ago, did u check it out?

they had free shuttle to pier both ways:yay:was nice to find our ride waiting for us after the cruise...naturally a tip was in order:thumbsup2

Which rental car company are you using? I have never encountered a set "drop charge" for one way rentals. Higher rates, yes, but never a "drop charge".

I 've been looking at all the companies. Dollar would seem to be the least expensive ...

SUV Standard Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (or similar)
1 Weekend day at $50.00 per day. Unlimited mileage. Rate Code: RCUE1 Weekend Rate*
$50.00 Total Base Rate* $50.00 U.S. Dollar (USD)
Rate Details
Energy Recovery Fee $0.45
One Way Drop Charge $125.00
State Transact Srg $2.02
State Tax $11.54
Vehicle License Fee $0.59
Total Est. Mandatory Charges $139.60

Est. Grand Total $189.60

I 've been looking at all the companies. Dollar would seem to be the least expensive ...

SUV Standard Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (or similar)
1 Weekend day at $50.00 per day. Unlimited mileage. Rate Code: RCUE1 Weekend Rate*
$50.00 Total Base Rate* $50.00 U.S. Dollar (USD)
Rate Details
Energy Recovery Fee $0.45
One Way Drop Charge $125.00
State Transact Srg $2.02
State Tax $11.54
Vehicle License Fee $0.59
Total Est. Mandatory Charges $139.60

Est. Grand Total $189.60

Wow, honestly never seen that before at Avis, Hertz, or National. Check them out instead!

EDIT: Just read that even with the drop charge Dollar is still the cheapest. I can't really help you as I've never rented from Dollar. Sorry.

OP i've always found rentals originating in WDW area (onsite - car care or dolphin) to be much higher than MCO ones.

Did u price out rental from MCO? Might be cheaper to rent for Disney stay, then drive to TPA or even just take ME to airport to pick up car when ur onsite portion of trip is over.

You might not even have the drop charge originating from the airport.:wizard:

good luck

When we did a week in Disney and week cruise out of Port Tampa, we found it more cost effective to fly in and out of TPA and the just do a normal rental (same pick-up/drop location). We also took car service to and from the airport to the port.

I book with National and often pick up our rental car at tpa and return to mco, without any drop charge. It was my understanding that this is not considered to be a one way rental which generates a drop charge.

When we did a week in Disney and week cruise out of Port Tampa, we found it more cost effective to fly in and out of TPA and the just do a normal rental (same pick-up/drop location). We also took car service to and from the airport to the port.

Hey neighbor :wave:

I was thinking along the same lines. OP. you can rent a car through Alamo, for example, for the full week for $150 before any discounts. You're not really saving money that way but you have the convenience of the rental car for the duration.

Or, there are transfer companies that will take you from MCO to the Port of Tampa. The ride is under two hours. You're looking around roughly $200 one way, depending on how many people are in your party. The charge might be slightly higher for door-to-door service from your WDW resort but it can also be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter