• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car Hire Help Please.

Sid74

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Our trip this year is for 21 days, from October 27th to November 17th.

As I will need an ECV again, and there will only be the two of us, we'd like an SUV or minivan to make it easier to fit the scooter in without having to completely disassemble it.

The cheapest quote I've been able to find is with Virgin Atlantic, using Alamo.

It's £507.63 for an intermediate SUV, or £548.55 for a standard. The minivan is completely out of my price range at £717.16.

If I book the standard with Virgin can I cancel if I find it cheaper elsewhere? Is it possible to cancel and rebook without penalty if their prices go down?

Can anyone help me find what I need cheaper, using a reputable company at MCO?

Thanks.

Thanks Karlius. I've just had a look, and they are more expensive for everything except the minivan, but that is still way too expensive.

I used to use USrentacar myself, unfortunately their prices have risen over the past couple of years and now generally an expensive company.

Best deal I can see for a Minivan is with Avis via Quidco. £569.70 less 11% cashback = £507
www.quidco.com/avis

Thanks wayneg. That's a great price for a minivan for three weeks.

We've never used Avis, what do you think of them?

Thanks wayneg. That's a great price for a minivan for three weeks.

We've never used Avis, what do you think of them?
Never used them myself but I know others on here have so hopefully they will reply.

Have you tried splitting your stay? It may involve returning to the airport but you could schedule this around your day. The reason I ask is my future mother in law tried to rent a car in the UK last week. It was cheaper to split the rental of a month into two, two week rentals. No idea as to why but may be worth a shot. I know when I rented for 3 weeks the prices soared.

The other option I've been told about is travelsupermarket I've run your quotes here I have never used them personally but can see the quotes are lower than most. Cheapest for you is a Rav 4 or equivalent for £473 through Sixt.

https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/car-hire/united-states/ just make sure you alter the location as the default is NYC

Last edited:

Thanks a lot Karlius. I checked out your suggestions, and the reviews I have found for Sixt aren't very good unfortunately. Whilst I was looking into Avis the prices have all gone right up, so I'm back to square one. I'll have to keep looking.

Avis are fine - sign up to their preferred scheme before booking and you can bypass the desk.

We have used them twice and had good cars both times.

Hi,

Our trip this year is for 21 days, from October 27th to November 17th.

As I will need an ECV again, and there will only be the two of us, we'd like an SUV or minivan to make it easier to fit the scooter in without having to completely disassemble it.

The cheapest quote I've been able to find is with Virgin Atlantic, using Alamo.

It's £507.63 for an intermediate SUV, or £548.55 for a standard. The minivan is completely out of my price range at £717.16.

If I book the standard with Virgin can I cancel if I find it cheaper elsewhere? Is it possible to cancel and rebook without penalty if their prices go down?

Can anyone help me find what I need cheaper, using a reputable company at MCO?

Thanks.

First of all, is there an option of hiring an ECV and having it delivered to your resort, and then taking DME instead of hiring a car from the airport?

You could then hire an SUV from Alamo for a shorter time if you wish to go off site. They have car care centre on World Drive next to the former Hess as well as at the Swan/Dolphin.

You can also book with a 10% discount if you go to www.alamo.co.uk/Brits please note this link will not work, type the link into your web browser directly, otherwise the site diverts you to the USA page.

Also, with those rates you may be better to use a Wheelchair accessible taxi. Lots depends on how much time you intend to spend outside WDW. If you can shorten the rental period it will bring the costs down a lot.

Thanks for the feedback Elise79.

I M Fearless we go offsite a lot, pretty much every day in fact. Thank you for your well thought out suggestions though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter